The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-26-2022, 03:52 PM   #351
Paul Y

Re: The English are coming! Or..another C10 in the Motherland.

So....

20 months ago Woody's cab was firmly ensconced on his rather grubby chassis.

And #3 son was manning the engine crane as separated the cab from the chassis for the first time in 54 years.

So today righted his Woodship back onto the pallet dolly and peeled him out into the sun.

Pretty happy with that colour match.

Deployed the cab lift collected from @grizz this very morning - thank Martin!

And with #3 sons help...

Carefully manoeuvred Woody back onto the chassis.

Very Very happy with that!

So... Why did I plonk the cab back on the chassis?

Quite simple really, I wanted to make sure I had the engine back as far as possible before I measured and ordered the prop shaft - Turns out I can go back at least an inch, maybe 1 1/2"

You can also see the Raptor overspray which I am going to try clay baring before resorting to more drastic measures.

Which In turn means I can now cut the new shifter hole plus make sure the exhaust will actually fit. Nice.

Mr Grinder and Mrs Spring are definitely going to have a second date in the not too distant future

The drivers door is definitely not the original judging by the paint either now that I have removed the awful rattle can paint job...

Tomorrows job between servicing #3 sons Mini and repairing the fences will be to move the engine back as far as I can before taking the cab off again to measure the run out on the bell housing, make the exhaust and run the electrical cables from the mid mounted battery box I still have to make...

Progress? Nah.... But it made me feel good so that is always a plus point.

Until the next time viewers.

ONWARDS!!!!!

P.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=658621

If it goes wrong, I blame the Internet...
Paul Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 05:50 PM   #352
Grizz1963

Looking absolutely great Paul.

Good,to se you this morning, as always.
Grizz1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 08:01 PM   #353
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 12:24 PM   #354
caseyjones

The color match looks great!
caseyjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 07:59 AM   #355
Paul Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseyjones View Post
The color match looks great!
Must admit that when I opened the tin originally I was a little disappointed but now it is on, and out in the sun, I think anybody would struggle to get it closer.

P.

Old 03-05-2022, 06:43 AM   #356
ibrown50

looks great Paul
Old 03-07-2022, 10:08 AM   #357
The Rocknrod

Ya I really like it. Makes me want to start over watching the progress your making. Once it's all done (for me) it's anticlimactic.
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 05:54 PM   #358
clemdaddy

Making good progress...and as always, one of the more entertaining threads on the forum. Keep up the good work.
clemdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2022, 07:07 PM   #359
Paul Y

Gentlemen,

Thank you for the kind words.

Anyway. Because I am a numpty the chances of hitting my 9th April deadline is pretty close to zero.

Why? You ask dear reader, well let me tell you.

The Tremec gearbox people make a big thing about ensuring that the bell housing run out is within 005". If you think about it makes sense as there is zero run out in the front bearing meaning that if it is misaligned then there is going to be undue pressure on the bearing which, in turn is going to lead to failure and, apparently, difficult shifting.

Because I just didn't think about it (remember that phrase...) I had not ordered an indexing plate that makes the process of checking the run out possible. A T56 is not like the old T10's etc that I am more used too in so much as there is not a nice hole in the middle of the bell housing.

A picture paints etc....

So the indexing plate bolts across the mammoth opening to give that nice circle that you can measure.

Stick a dial gauge on the flywheel and rotate the engine 90 degrees to give the concentricity of the bell housing to the back of the engine.

Like this.

As mentioned above, maximum run out is 0.005"

Mine was a little out.

To adjust the concentricity so that it is within spec you use offset engine dowels, Mine showed that I needed 0.07" dowels.

Now, if I had though about is (see above) I would have ordered a number of dowels with the indexing plate but, because I didn't think about it (also see above), I had to wait another 7 days for them to be delivered from Summit. Numpty.

Whilst waiting for the indexing plate I did move the engine back as far as possible, the crank pulley is just in front of the crossmember now so pretty happy with that.

This did cause a slight issue further back as the gearbox extension was very very close to the strengthening in the boxing section.

Anyway, fast forward a week and these turned up courtesy of Mr. UPS.

As I headed out to the garage at 7am, in my head this meant that I would have the bell housing indexed and the gearbox in by lunch time, which meant I could then take Lady P out for a spot of brunch...

First things first, let's establish the high side of the dowel shall we.

Annnddd that is where my carefully laid plans went to complete rat poop....

There are very few things in life that I say I will never do again.

Watching The First Pokemon film, having Sepsis and now, added to that list indexing a cast aluminium bell housing.

This actually broke me both physically and mentally.

The problem was I couldn't get a constant reading for the concentricity. Every time I checked it the numbers were all over the place. I just couldn't replicate the numbers.

After HOURS of taking the bell housing on and off, adjusting the dowels, taking the readings - rinse and repeat- I knew that I was missing something. I went right back to basics, checking the run out of the flywheel, well within limits, and then checked the bell housing to make sure it was perpendicular to the block.

Bingo! I should have checked it at the beginning but didn't think about it (See above, above) The bottom of the bell housing was kicked out making it impossible to get a good reading. Finally traced the problem to the locating dowels on the index plate not being fully home and finally, FINALLy managed to get a constant reading. Even better was that is showed less than 0.02" run out.

Perfect.

I am now going to subject you to pictures of my success because this took me ALL DAY!

Good old John Bull

Next step was to Install this.

And this.

With these.

I could then measure the air gap before fitting this.

Before struggling for a further few hours to get this back in place.

By this time it was just after 10pm - Lady P had informed me in no uncertain terms that I was taking the P several hours previously - but I had to get this done for my own piece of mind. It is also the first time in my life that I have actually felt my age. Rolling around on a cold garage floor throwing gearboxes in is not a young mans game I realised.

Anyway. As I was already in the dog house I decided to get up early on Sunday morning to remove the gearbox again.

Why? I asked myself the same thing but I couldn't get over how apparently 'easily' the bell housing run out numbers were all suddenly 'in spec'. In fact I had been awake since 4.30 thinking about it so at 6am I was out in the cold undoing all my work.

By 8am it was all back in again, the numbers still checked out and I crept back into bed.

Question I ask myself is how did I manage to get it all out, check the numbers and get it back in again in two hours? Ah yes I remember...it was the threat of having a part of my anatomy, rather dear to me, removed with a rusty spoon if I dared set foot in the garage again this weekend.....

With martial life repaired to a degree I was given the green light to get a few hours in before dinner.

Right. Lets get that exhaust sorted out shall we....

Amongst my purchases this week were a few sticks of 2 1/2" exhaust tubing, 2 x V Band clamps 4 X 90 degree mandrill bends in addition to cabling, a 10 tonne press and all the required ends to make up the electrical circuit.

First things first, lets get a length of pipe cut down to size.

Tack the V Band in place.

And start to run things through the jungle gym.

According to Summit you can run a 3 1/2" system through the bars... I think they are being a bit over optimistic as the 2 1/2" doesn't leave a whole lot of room.

Sliced up the old down pipe and used my best metal glue technique to create this master piece.

BEHOLD!

Yup. Never going to be a welder...

Still have to replace the o2 bung but at least I am a 1/3rd of the way to getting an exhaust out the back.

Sorted of tempted to just straight pipe it but.....

Anyway, not wanting to sleep in the spare room I decided enough was enough and returned to inside for Sunday dinner and a bit of rubbish TV.

To answer the original question at the top of the page, the 9th April is not going to happen just because I don't have enough hours left to compete everything that needs to be done.

Loosing 2 weeks with the index plate, and then the dowels, just means I would have to be working ever night to even stand the remotest chance and, at that point, it becomes a chore rather than enjoyment.

Good news is that I am far enough forward that the end of April is looking like a safe bet, well until I forget to order the next thing I didn't think about!

So, until the next time, ONWARDS!!!

P.

Old 03-14-2022, 03:18 PM   #360
88Stanger

Damn Brother, that is looking Awesome!! I am dying not working on mine yet, but soon. Was in Vegas all last week for Bday, so now it if recoop and get ready to prime and finish body work on Cab.
John 3:16 - Saved me... God Bless
88Stanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 06:37 PM   #361
Grizz1963

Amazing progress Paul.

That is all.
Old 03-15-2022, 05:43 AM   #362
Paul Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88Stanger View Post
Damn Brother, that is looking Awesome!! I am dying not working on mine yet, but soon. Was in Vegas all last week for Bday, so now it if recoop and get ready to prime and finish body work on Cab.
Financially or Physically?!?!

Looks like we are going to be finished at a similar time, we can compare notes on the difference the chassis brace makes.

P.

Old 03-16-2022, 03:24 PM   #363
88Stanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Y View Post
Financially or Physically?!?!

Looks like we are going to be finished at a similar time, we can compare notes on the difference the chassis brace makes.

P.
I would like to say we are done at the same time... not sure ill be done when you are, i hope to be.... lol
John 3:16 - Saved me... God Bless
88Stanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 12:15 PM   #364
Paul Y

Right. Where were we....

Progress has slowed over the past few weeks for 2 main reasons.

1. I got Covid, again, 3rd time lucky...

2. Work.

Covid was actually not bad but, the aftermath this time round, was completely drained making working on Woody a chore rather than a pleasure, hence me splitting the exhaust build up into small chunks.

With that said have a picture of the other manifold connected to a bit of pipe.

3 1/2" pipe through there? I don't think so....

So with everything lined up I burnt in the hangers proving to myself that I can actually weld.

And moved onto positioning the Flowmasters.

A little rise in elevation but nothing a bit of pipe, a cutting wheel and a protractor cant fix.

So with my GCSE grade 3 maths I did a few calculations to work out the centre line of the pipe so I could make a few pie cuts in a straight bit of pipe to join everything together.

Many hours later....

Success!

Rinse and repeat.

Ordered another pair of V Bands, once these arrive I will be able to finish attaching everything and make it removable, should the need arise.

Which leads me on to the next part of the puzzle and is where I could do with your opinion.

I could run the pipe over the axle and get them to come out towards the rear of the bed. A bit tricky as there is not a lot of room on the drivers side but just about doable.

OR....

I could do this.

Obviously the pipe will run under the chassis but my thinking is to bring the pipe from the drivers side across to the passenger side, merge them and them use a 3 1/2" pipe to make a cannon out the back.

Not sure what it will sound like but feels like it could be a bit of fun.

Any other suggestions whilst you are here? Please let me know.

After spending 3 days in Copenhagen last week I am off to Belfast for a few days and then have family commitments so don't expect much for the next week or so but I am making slow progress.

Until the next time.

ONWARDS!!!!

P.

Old 03-28-2022, 12:50 PM   #365
Braunschweiger

Great job, building exhausts is a real fiddly job if you're looking for inspiration, I just built mine too, similar to yours but different. Look in here.
Get well soon, the Covid is raging terribly again.

Greetings Harald

My 62 build thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829782
Braunschweiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 12:55 PM   #366
Paul Y

Like what you did on your Harald, I have the fuel tank at the back so a little more restriction in terms of routing.

Definitely some inspiration there though!

P.

Old 03-29-2022, 03:33 AM   #367
Grizz1963

Nice job Paul.

Looking forward to a new set of Black Lines that matter outside my home soon.
Old 03-29-2022, 05:10 AM   #368
jmarkha1

exhaust routing looks good Paul.
the single cannon 'sounds' interesting but may kill the v8ness?
would be cool to run parallel 3" runs under each rail straight out back with a downturn at the end...
Old 04-18-2022, 05:21 PM   #369
Paul Y

After a few weeks absence from the shed I decided that enough was enough and I was going to get the exhaust system finished. It might not be right but it is done.

So...lets recap shall we.

When we left it the discussion was cannon or duel pipes.

As much as I would have liked to go duel to single it just wasn't happening and I was getting more and more frustrated with the amount of time it was taking to go from the mufflers and out over the axle.

Unlike me there are not a whole lot of picture but for you viewing pleasure may I present exhibit a)

Yup. It really is as bad as it looks - crudely pie cut exhaust with terrible fit up and some pretty substandard welding. BUT! It fits through the through the tiny gap between panhard bar, fuel tank and crossmember.

If you want YouTube welds you have come to the wrong place....

Its a bit tight (narf, narf) but it all fits.

I have already seen that there are two problems.

1) there is little to no give in the system so looks like a couple of flex joints will be needed.

2) I made a mistake on the drivers side routing as I think the axle will hit the pipe on full compression.

However. Those are tomorrow Pauls problems so, apart from the tips, the exhaust is done.

Next job is to make up a rear mount for the battery and route the cables etc.

Not an exciting update but an update none the less.

Until the next time. Onwards!!!!

P.

Old 04-19-2022, 01:13 AM   #370
Braunschweiger

I can feel how much work it was with the tubing over the axle. Well fumbled

Greetings Harald

My 62 build thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829782
Braunschweiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 02:09 AM   #371
Paul Y

I will take fumbled Harald!

Quite relived to have a rest from welding!

P.

Old 04-19-2022, 03:35 AM   #372
Grizz1963

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunschweiger View Post
I can feel how much work it was with the tubing over the axle. Well fumbled
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Y View Post
I will take fumbled Harald!

Quite relived to have a rest from welding!

P.
Perfect response Harald.

And I think you would fit in well with Paul and me in the middle of winter at below 6’C out on my driveway.

Welcome to Klub Krunch

Function over Form mate.

When you race off into the sunset, nobody is going to care.

And I challenge anyone with a bad word to say, to PAY Up or SHUT UP if they are that desperate to see any changes.

Job done.

ONWARDS.
Old 04-19-2022, 04:16 AM   #373
350TacoZilla

Looks good man! only question I have is the O2 sensor locations, can you still get to them and have room to remove them with the cab on?
350TacoZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 12:51 PM   #374
Paul Y

Good question Mr Taco!

Part of the dummy run, fitting the cab was to see how far I could push the engine back and if I still had enough room to take the valve covers, heads off, o2 sensor etc.

There is about 2 inches between the cab floor and the sensor when it is wound right out so just enough room to get it out on the drivers side - passenger side no such problem.

Having built a car 30 years ago with no thought on how to get to the service items it is now a major consideration!

P.

Old 05-15-2022, 09:41 AM   #375
Paul Y

Some of you might have a feeling of Deja Vu....

The last time we left the saga it was on the realisation that I would need some flexies in my exhaust.

4" of eBay special....

Aaaaannnnnd... installed.

NEXT!

Relocate the battery to the rear.

Why?

Well there is a Tuuuurrrbbboooo going to be residing where the battery currently lives at some point in the near future PLUS weight distribution.

I did look at buying a tray but then looked at what I had and decided I would see what I could cobble together from the original tray and the one from my 56 - nostalgia....

The tray from Woody was a bit rotten, the one from my 56 was remarkably solid so...

Drill drill...

Bend bend...

Blast blast...

Paint paint...

Pictures of the finished item later.

Whilst I had the blast cabinet out...

Not a show truck.....

Next was to run the battery cables to the new location and make up the ends.

Measure up, use my posh box of shrink wrap

And then use this bit of wonderfulness, after a recommendation by Dez, which was a massive game changer in how easy it was to make up these and future big cables.

Next step was to wash all the grime and muck that had accumulated and...shock horror... apply a coating of Autoglyme polish to add another layer of protection and further proof of non show carness.

Yup. Looks quite good.

With that completed fitted up the battery tray and cables, threw in an old battery to double check fitment and temporarily fitted the rear bumper to make sure there was no interference. Pretty sure that I am going to end up building some more protection around the battery to protect it from rubber etc.... But that is tomorrow Paul's problem.

And with that, the chassis is 99.9% done. There are a few odds and ends to tidy up, a package from MT65 with the missing handbrake components (thanks Mike!) torque the suspension up and finish the exhaust when the bed is back on etc but there was no reason that I couldn't put the cab back on.

So that's what I did.

Ta Da!

So with that I am back to where I was a few months ago but this time it is final assembly rather than checking it all fits.

Next step is to write the long list of stuff that needs to be completed but will comprise of a small repair to the drivers door, completely stripping the interior so that it can be painted and put together with the new loom, insulation and nice interior etc.

Sure that is only the first 3 things on a list of millions....

So, with that little update all that needs to be said is...

ONWARDS!

P.