The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-18-2024, 08:01 PM   #1
68Gold/white

44 years ago today, Mt St. Helens came unglued!!!

Name:  306941453_750x422.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  48.2 KB

2 years ago I was nearly killed in an auto accident. I had a lot of time on my hands, recovering....

I had seen the picture of that pickup, before. I dug around and found articles, and videos on the internet. That's a 69-72 3/4 ton Chevrolet pickup. (If any of you can identify it closer, please post). A rescue helicopter landed by the truck, one person got out and checked its contents. Sadly there were 2 people in it, sitting in it, as they were. The driver had his hand on the steering wheel, the passenger with his hands in his lap. Life must of left them in a second....
There's pictures of the melted dash on the internet, I didn't look for them, right now..

I wonder if the truck is still with us???
68Gold/white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:21 AM   #2
GOPAPA
"Tail Gate Best Seat In House"

Re: 44 years ago today, Mt St. Helens came unglued!!!

There are a few items that are kept and in a building for anyone to see at locations up towards the mountain,, I have seen them but forgot what vehicles there are to view.. I lived around 35 miles from Mt St Helens for years and was home that morning it blew , ,I did not hear the blast like people heard it at further away.. When I took my shake roof off and replaced it with asphalt roofing I found a lot of the ash within the heavy cedar shakes,. I have a jar of ash from my home and also a jar from north of me some 90 miles and the ash is grittier in that jar than the one from my roof shakes I took off.
Old Yesterday, 10:51 AM   #3
CAMAROBOY68SS

I know there are a couple cars that have been pretty well stripped but still along some of the old roads around there.

Its finny how people still have ash in bottle around here. My one grandpa had buckets of it that he collected right after the blast. He was a heavy equipment operator and was one of the first ones into the area after the blast and worked to clear debris and get the rivers/streams flowing again and it was fresh ash he brought home. He never talked about finding anything like a body, they were all somewhat looking for ol Truman after he had made his stance to not leave the lake.

C10 Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=833278

The "Others"
1933 Ford Pickup (Camaro in disguise)
2017 Camaro SS

Life long Chevy guy
CAMAROBOY68SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:37 PM   #4
GOPAPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMAROBOY68SS View Post
I know there are a couple cars that have been pretty well stripped but still along some of the old roads around there.

Its finny how people still have ash in bottle around here. My one grandpa had buckets of it that he collected right after the blast. He was a heavy equipment operator and was one of the first ones into the area after the blast and worked to clear debris and get the rivers/streams flowing again and it was fresh ash he brought home. He never talked about finding anything like a body, they were all somewhat looking for ol Truman after he had made his stance to not leave the lake.
More stories and there a lot of them .. I was fishing on the Columbia river for salmon and this was days later after the Mountain blew ,, I pulled boards out of the river from houses that had been swept away ,,one had the metal track for a sliding closet door ..I got around 15 --2x4's nails and all. The boards came down the Toutle river into the Cowlitz river and then into the big Columbia River and then out to the Pacific ocean ..then after that the tides brought debre in and left a lot on the ocean beaches,, I cast my hook out and reeled the boards in as it was slack tide ..
Old Yesterday, 01:53 PM   #5
Accelo

GOPAPA
I live in Longview. You had to be very close to where I live as Longview is on the Columbia River. On the 17th, the day before the eruption, I flew, a private plane, over the mountain leaving from Kelso WA. Within 1000 feet of the mountain. Rather be lucky than smart as timing is everything. I didn't hear the mountain either but my friend who lives just over the Canadian border heard it. I have a video of the Cowlitz River with so many logs in it you could have walked across the river on them except for the fact they were traveling at maybe 15 mph. The mountain-blowing suppressed the real estate market for years here.

I have included a recent picture from the crater of St Helens. I think it gives a better idea of the amount of earth that was moved in a single day.
Attached Images

Last edited by Accelo; Yesterday at 02:04 PM.
Accelo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:07 PM   #6
tutone

Old Harry Truman. The news media interviewed that fellow and he just wouldn't budge. I doubt he had time for regrets when it blew.
1955 210 2 dr sedan/1998 RCSB Z71
tutone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:37 PM   #7
farmall

I was coming down the Columbia on aproach when it vented the secon time. Pretty cool to see from about 1500'.
89 GMC Jimmy Stock https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=810958
71 LT1 Convertible, 72 Coupe
69 CJ5, 75 CJ6, 67 M715, 72 M35A2 Bobbed, 95 XLC2
farmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:44 PM   #8
GOPAPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accelo View Post
GOPAPA
I live in Longview. You had to be very close to where I live as Longview is on the Columbia River. On the 17th, the day before the eruption, I flew, a private plane, over the mountain leaving from Kelso WA. Within 1000 feet of the mountain. Rather be lucky than smart as timing is everything. I didn't hear the mountain either but my friend who lives just over the Canadian border heard it. I have a video of the Cowlitz River with so many logs in it you could have walked across the river on them except for the fact they were traveling at maybe 15 mph. The mountain-blowing suppressed the real estate market for years here.

I have included a recent picture from the crater of St Helens. I think it gives a better idea of the amount of earth that was moved in a single day.
I lived in Oregon about 3 miles up the hill from the Longview Bridge headed west on highway 30 (Alston Corner) lived in my home on old highway 30 from 1967-2012 then moved to Idaho..