The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > Heavy Haulers

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-14-2021, 07:30 PM   #1
Bearhawg

Pulling out the C60 Farm Truck

Hello all. I'm about to pull our old farm truck out of the barn and begin using it around the home place. It's amazing how many times in the past few years my brother and I have said, "damn, this would be easier if we had "the truck" Anyway, this was the only farm truck my dad purchased new. It was used as a grain truck carrying corn, soybeans, peanuts, etc to the elevator in town about 6 miles away. Hundreds of 6 mile trips over the years. Maybe thousands. It was used regularly until he passed 6 years ago. I think its a '66-67. I've worked on my '70 C10 a lot but never something this big but the basics should be the same. I'm pretty sure its a 327cid with the usual 4 speed with two speed axle. I know I need to change the fluids, spark plugs, plug wires/points, check the overall wiring, maybe flush the brake lines and fuel tank, the list goes on. It will be a long time before its on the road, mainly used hauling off brush and moving dirt around the farm. It has a factory/dealer installed dump that I pray still works.

My question is, what are the basics I need to do to get it rolling? I'll be headed to the farm next weekend to hopefully start it for the first time in 3-5 years. I'll know more once I dig into it. Thanks!
Attached Images

Bearhawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 09:28 AM   #2
Katrina/10

Re: Pulling out the C60 Farm Truck

Looks like a good old truck. I'm sure all the things you mentioned will need to be changed, good luck!

1971 Chevrolet C/10
1951 GMC 100
1977 GMC C15
1955 Chevrolet 3100
Katrina/10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 12:27 PM   #3
ky-donzi

Nice truck, I bet the hoist still works flawlessly.

My guess the only real issue you will have is stale gas, and (hopefully not) the brake booster (know on two tons to cause issues)

73 k5 gm crate 350-265 / sm465 / np205 3.73 posi
ky-donzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 06:39 PM   #4
Bearhawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ky-donzi View Post
Nice truck, I bet the hoist still works flawlessly.

My guess the only real issue you will have is stale gas, and (hopefully not) the brake booster (know on two tons to cause issues)
Thanks for the input. I'm sure the fuel tank is going to have some rust and crud but we always used off-road gas which has no ethanol (and no road tax). Hopefully that helps a little. I may try the Roadkill trick of putting three inline fuel filters before the carb and pulling the leading filter as it clogs. Worked well on TV anyway lol I'll take it slow and keep an eye on the booster. If I remember correctly, I think my dad put some sort of governor on it so top speed is likely 45mph.

Thanks again!
Bearhawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 12:54 AM   #5
Pick121

What a great story, bringing Dad’s truck back to life! I recently got a 1963 C50 started after it sat for 20 years in my neighbors yard. Here is the list I used to get it going. I actually hooked up a temporary fuel tank to bypass the behind seat tank. I was successful, on day 2 anyway! What a feeling it was having the engine fire up for the first time and drive it across the street to my ranch. Anyway, here is the list I used
Start C50
1. Turn engine nut/rotate eng (see if it’s siezed)
2. Replace crankcase oil & filter
3. Squirt oil can/marvel mystery oil into spark plug holes
4. Rotate engine by hand (lubricate piston cylinders)
5. New Spark plugs
6. New Spark plug wires, points, condenser, distrib cap
7. Clean air filter/housing/carb
8. Clean fuel/filter/temporary tank
9. Check coolant level in radiator/quality

Battery
Start it up! If it runs then:
9. Rubber hoses: radiator, heater hoses (if any), vacuum, fuel lines
10. Clean coolant-radiator flush, replace thermostat
11. Replace Fan belts
12. Brakes/brake fluid
14. Trans fluid
15. Rear end fluid
16. Adjust timing 4°BTDC, plug vacuum
17. Compression test 140psi

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=826705

Send more pics if you have them, engine compartment, side emblems we can figure out what year yours is

Last edited by Pick121; 11-16-2021 at 01:04 AM.
Pick121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 09:21 AM   #6
Pvmt-Pndr

I'll add a step to the list above 4.5 install an oil pressure gauge if it doesn't have one and crank the motor with the plugs out of it until you have oil pressure. Then continue the list
Pvmt-Pndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 08:07 PM   #7
Pick121

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvmt-Pndr View Post
I'll add a step to the list above 4.5 install an oil pressure gauge if it doesn't have one and crank the motor with the plugs out of it until you have oil pressure. Then continue the list
2 thumbs up to confirmed oil pressure. Great addition to the list
Pick121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 09:46 AM   #8
LT7A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearhawg View Post
Hello all. I'm about to pull our old farm truck out of the barn and begin using it around the home place. It's amazing how many times in the past few years my brother and I have said, "damn, this would be easier if we had "the truck" Anyway, this was the only farm truck my dad purchased new. It was used as a grain truck carrying corn, soybeans, peanuts, etc to the elevator in town about 6 miles away. Hundreds of 6 mile trips over the years. Maybe thousands. It was used regularly until he passed 6 years ago. I think its a '66-67. I've worked on my '70 C10 a lot but never something this big but the basics should be the same. I'm pretty sure its a 327cid with the usual 4 speed with two speed axle. I know I need to change the fluids, spark plugs, plug wires/points, check the overall wiring, maybe flush the brake lines and fuel tank, the list goes on. It will be a long time before its on the road, mainly used hauling off brush and moving dirt around the farm. It has a factory/dealer installed dump that I pray still works.

My question is, what are the basics I need to do to get it rolling? I'll be headed to the farm next weekend to hopefully start it for the first time in 3-5 years. I'll know more once I dig into it. Thanks!
You do need to get it going again. Look at it, it looks so hopeful. You can't just close the barn door and walk away...
Attached Images

LT7A is online now   Reply With Quote