The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-24-2021, 09:26 PM   #1
nikwho

Jag IRS/4 link, c-notch, raised bed floor woes! Help please!

Hey all,
I've been neglecting my bed floor, due to uncertainty regarding the path that I want to take with my rear suspension. Not knowing what path to take with the bed floor is holding me up from getting my truck painted.

I typically just give myself some time, to process this type of stuff, as the answer typically comes to me... However, I've been stumped on this for about the past year or two! The truck is pretty dialed mechanically, otherwise. The weak link is certainly in the rear suspension. I need to address it. I have a few questions.

My buddy has a Jaguar IRS that he will sell me. I've been interested in an IRS swap for a long time. The truck has a '79 Camaro sub-frame, QA1 tubular control arms, Hotchkis dual rate springs, Bilstein shocks and a fat front sway bar.

Currently my truck has the factory rear leafs. I pulled a couple of springs from the leaf pack years ago, to soften the ride. Has a 10 bolt rear axle. I have everything ready to rebuild and re-gear it. I'm torn between running the No Limit Fat Bar four link kit, or doing the Jag IRS swap. My frame is currently c-notched four inches, protruding just above the bed floor level.

My current ride height puts my rear axle right about at the plane of the bottom of the frame rail. I like the idea of the Jag IRS swap, but don't want to increase ride height. I don't want to complete my bed floor before knowing what I'm going to do.

Thoughts? Issues with JAG IRS? How much power can they handle? How do they actually handle? This is a 420 HP 383, TH350, but plan to swap to a T-56, or Richmond 5 speed in the next couple of years!
Attached Images

Old 10-24-2021, 10:43 PM   #2
mr48chev

Re: Jag IRS/4 link, c-notch, raised bed floor woes! Help please!

I would have to believe that if you set the jag up right the axle tubes (half shafts) would set on a straight line right where your axle tubes do now and your Jag third member should be centered exactly where the current third member is centered. That is if you maintain the same static ride height you have now.

Gotta go feed the cats.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 10:54 PM   #3
mr48chev

Cat's are fed and foot is wet from stepping in a puddle. Such is life on Gray Cat Farm.

to work right the Jag rear with axles straight out from the center should sit at the same height in the frame as the 10 bolt does. you may have the cage if you keep it take up some space above the center but it should be the same space you would allow for up and down movement of the third member with the solid axle. The half shafts shouldn't move up or down any more than the axle does now and that movement isn't transferred to the other side as it is now.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 10:25 PM   #4
e015475

The Jag IRS in my '49 sits about 2" under the bed wood. With the half-shafts level the running boards are about a beer can off the pavement, which is the normal way my truck rides ( this Jag IRS has been narrowed about 3", so it has Corvette-style half shafts.

The center section is a 'drop out' with removal of two pins at the end of the ladder support

If you want to see more details of the IRS installation in my '49, check out my build thread

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...=725080&page=9
e015475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 09:35 PM   #5
nikwho

I'll check it out, thanks!