The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-27-2021, 07:34 PM   #1
j.burton50

Let's talk wiring

Ok, so I'm working on my 71 c15. I am at the point now where I am getting more serious about the wiring in it.

I have ordered some parts to finish rebuilding the light harness and installing relays. The section of the wiring on this side that has me confused is the alternator. I'm going to be using an alternator from a 79 model chevy pickup. I have read all over and I get myself lost each time with bypassing the voltage regulator and alternator terminal numbers. I found the diode or resister in the brown wire to the bulkhead. Now, where do the other wires go? I'm sure I'm making this harder then it needs to be.

Reg. Bypass
Blue - Red
White - Brown

79 Alternator wires
The original 71 blue and white alt. Wires will be terminated here
Black - White ?
Red - Blue ?
Stud - 12V+

Forum is not letting me attach pictures for some reason..
j.burton50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 07:39 PM   #2
j.burton50

Re: Let's talk wiring

Here are some pics. I think by trying to bypass the regulator and upgrade at the same time I overlooked that I can essentially just extend the red and brown. Wires all the way to the alternator and eliminate the white and blue wires all together. Would this be correct?
Attached Images

Old 11-27-2021, 08:37 PM   #3
RustyPile

This subject has been covered many times in numerous threads on this site so I won't take up space going over it again.. You can find these threads by going to the top of this page. You'll find the Google search box near the upper right corner. Enter "bypassing voltage regulator" in the box. Make the search to include only this site. Those threads will come up, pick one and read it.
RustyPile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 08:55 PM   #4
j.burton50

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyPile View Post
This subject has been covered many times in numerous threads on this site so I won't take up space going over it again.. You can find these threads by going to the top of this page. You'll find the Google search box near the upper right corner. Enter "bypassing voltage regulator" in the box. Make the search to include only this site. Those threads will come up, pick one and read it.
Lol really? I messaged vettevet privately asking for assistance. I was encouraged to make my own post. I made my own post. I read through those posts. I am asking in different wordage for someone to confirm my question. If it's not you, that's fine, but you don't have to be rude.
Old 11-27-2021, 08:58 PM   #5
pjmoreland

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.burton50 View Post
Here are some pics. I think by trying to bypass the regulator and upgrade at the same time I overlooked that I can essentially just extend the red and brown. Wires all the way to the alternator and eliminate the white and blue wires all together. Would this be correct?
That is correct.
pjmoreland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 09:12 PM   #6
RustyPile

Quote:
Lol really? I messaged vettevet privately asking for assistance. I was encouraged to make my own post. I made my own post. I read through those posts. I am asking in different wordage for someone to confirm my question. If it's not you, that's fine, but you don't have to be rude.
I'm only rude to those that refuse to do their own "foot work" and expect to be spoon fed the information.. BTW, did you also jump vettevet for not answering your question??
Old 11-27-2021, 09:28 PM   #7
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

I was in a similar situation a few years ago when I had alternator issues and some of the smoke escaped my wiring. I read various threads which mostly left me more confused and unsure what to do. I started my own thread so I could ask specific questions and I'm very glad I did. To me, it's not a matter of failing to do your research. Sometimes we can benefit from direct help & advice. I know it saved my bacon and I was (and still am) extremely grateful to the board members who helped me when I needed it.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 09:57 PM   #8
j.burton50

Quote:
I'm only rude to those that refuse to do their own "foot work" and expect to be spoon fed the information.. BTW, did you also jump vettevet for not answering your question??

Not that you care, but no I did not jump him. I am not lazy, I have read multiple articles and asked for clarification on my hypothesis. You chose not to answer, amd instead wanted to antagonize me about searching. The fact that you accuse me of not doing footwork, yet I share an image from this very forum on the alternator subject.... idk. Call me crazy....
Old 11-27-2021, 09:58 PM   #9
j.burton50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stocker View Post
I was in a similar situation a few years ago when I had alternator issues and some of the smoke escaped my wiring. I read various threads which mostly left me more confused and unsure what to do. I started my own thread so I could ask specific questions and I'm very glad I did. To me, it's not a matter of failing to do your research. Sometimes we can benefit from direct help & advice. I know it saved my bacon and I was (and still am) extremely grateful to the board members who helped me when I needed it.
I agree 100%. Thank you.
Old 11-27-2021, 09:59 PM   #10
j.burton50

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjmoreland View Post
That is correct.
Thank you! I can make adjustments I just wanted to make sure I wasn't completely wrong. Lol. My truck hasn't seen the road in about 7 years, and I need to make sure it does not melt itself down.
Old 11-27-2021, 10:03 PM   #11
pjmoreland

Quote:
Thank you! I can make adjustments I just wanted to make sure I wasn't completely wrong. Lol. My truck hasn't seen the road in about 7 years, and I need to make sure it does not melt itself down.
A previous owner of my truck had installed a 12SI alternator but left the external regulator connected, and the wires to the alternator were swapped. Somehow it still sort of worked, but the voltage was not regulated. I was able to get I fixed with the help of the members of this forum.
pjmoreland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 10:15 PM   #12
j.burton50

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjmoreland View Post
A previous owner of my truck had installed a 12SI alternator but left the external regulator connected, and the wires to the alternator were swapped. Somehow it still sort of worked, but the voltage was not regulated. I was able to get I fixed with the help of the members of this forum.
That's great! I saw plenty of posts where ppl kind of "half as@" wired it to work, but like you said, didn't really protect the alternator.
Old 11-27-2021, 10:29 PM   #13
RustyPile

Quote:
Not that you care, but no I did not jump him. I am not lazy, I have read multiple articles and asked for clarification on my hypothesis. You chose not to answer, amd instead wanted to antagonize me about searching. The fact that you accuse me of not doing footwork, yet I share an image from this very forum on the alternator subject.... idk. Call me crazy....
I'll make one more post on this thread and then I'm done with you and this thread..

It was certainly NOT my intention to --as you put it -- antagonize you. You've been a member of this site for 11 years. And prior to starting this thread, in those 11 years you've posted about 41 times. On average, less than 4 times a year.. Most of those posts were in a thread you chronicled your progress on "transplanting" a '71 cab onto a '79 frame.. I figured, since you couldn't be certain of the wiring issue, you either didn't know how to search the forum, or hadn't been able to find enough detailed information about your issue..

AGAIN, I wasn't trying to antagonize you in any way.. I was just giving you detailed instructions on how to conduct a search and find that information, including links, diagrams, instructions that would help you.. Since the subject has been covered many times, it seemed senseless for me to post again, the lengthy process..

If, to you, I came across as antagonizing, I apologize... But I do not apologize for refusing to spoon feed commonly available information to anyone..
Old 11-27-2021, 10:34 PM   #14
j.burton50

Quote:
I'll make one more post on this thread and then I'm done with you and this thread..

It was certainly NOT my intention to --as you put it -- antagonize you. You've been a member of this site for 11 years. And prior to starting this thread, in those 11 years you've posted about 41 times. On average, less than 4 times a year.. Most of those posts were in a thread you chronicled your progress on "transplanting" a '71 cab onto a '79 frame.. I figured, since you couldn't be certain of the wiring issue, you either didn't know how to search the forum, or hadn't been able to find enough detailed information about your issue..

AGAIN, I wasn't trying to antagonize you in any way.. I was just giving you detailed instructions on how to conduct a search and find that information, including links, diagrams, instructions that would help you.. Since the subject has been covered many times, it seemed senseless for me to post again, the lengthy process..

If, to you, I came across as antagonizing, I apologize... But I do not apologize for refusing to spoon feed commonly available information to anyone..

Then to that sir I bid you good day.

Lol

In the past I had posted based on my projects I'd owned in the past. Then I got my 71 which had belong to my grandfather. This one isn't going anywhere. I am not going to claim to be the most internet savvy. And at the same time I will admit that I jump on the defensive quickly. Thank you for sharing your perspective. Maybe in the future simply sharing a link to the article would be acceptable. I have read several and still struggle to find some from time to time.
Old 11-27-2021, 11:55 PM   #15
roboticjunky

Post 18 and 22 in this other thread might help. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=417872

You might have to unravel some of the electrical tape to check the color of the wires.
roboticjunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 12:23 AM   #16
j.burton50

Quote:
Originally Posted by roboticjunky View Post
Post 18 and 22 in this other thread might help. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=417872

You might have to unravel some of the electrical tape to check the color of the wires.
See I'd seen that before. But I must have missed that one lustratuon. Thank you for that!
Old 11-28-2021, 11:30 AM   #17
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
Not sure if you saw the electrical FAQ thread by VetteVet or not. There are a lot of links to different electrical problems posted in it also....

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=815300

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 11:51 AM   #18
j.burton50

I saw that, and I went through a couple links but I was not familiar with all the terminology at first. Then when I started understanding a little I had sent him a message. Got a little more under my belt and we decided it may be a good idea to confirm since you can't share pics through a private message. But thanks.

On a different note, now that I think I have a plan of what to do, I kind of want to replace the fusebox with a newer model or aftermarket fusebox somewhere down the line (obviously i need to finish up what I started already before I get serious about it). The post that is linked in the above link for upgrading is one of the only ones I've seen. Anyone have some tips and tricks on this to add to that?
Old 11-28-2021, 01:17 PM   #19
HO455
Post Whore

I recommend taking the time to read this site. It will get you up to speed on terminology and operation.

http://www.madelectrical.com/electrical-tech.shtml
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote