The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-12-2021, 02:37 AM   #26
mr48chev

Re: Bought a 1950 GMC considering frame swap.

We have to buy and have proof of liability insurance in Washington state or face a hefty fine but all too many around this area drive without it.

I was more concerned if you sold the car or had to have proof that you actually own the parts when it is inspected. I'm amazed that there haven't been big issues on frame swap trucks being sold out of state down here having trouble when they get inspected.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 01:52 PM   #27
dsraven

in Alberta, Canada, when I did my frame swap I used a coupe of different donor trucks because the first truck had a bent cab due to an accident years before. the farmer just slammed the doors hard when he used it and didn't care about wind leaks while in the pasture. I had to show proof of ownership via a bill of sale for each of those plus the frame donor truck. I also had to show pics of each truck fully assembled prior to taking them apart. lucky I had some. the insurance bureau of Canada rep came, took my vin tags from all vehicles, inspected the truck and parts, issued and attached a new vin with a new registration and the vehicle is now called home built from parts. he was good enough to call the vehicle model by the year and make of the original truck. then there is an out of province inspection required that is a detailed mechanical check. after that it becomes insurable and licensable (sp?) that's how these pieced together vehicles should be, well inspected and parts verified to ensure we aren't promoting the sale of stolen parts etc and also to ensure the vehicles are assembled in a safe manner and up to current transportation laws. after all, our families are all driving around on the same roads as the other "put together" hot rods. we have all seen the threads with a hatchet job front clip spottily welded onto the original frame or other poorly engineered system. I know that some will buy an old truck, get it running and fix enough stuff to pass inspection so they can get it insured as a stock vehicle for cheaper. then they totally remake the unit into a fire breathing rubber burning machine that may or may not pass a safety inspection to drive on the roads with the general public. the insurance company doesn't know about the changes made for performance etc. sure, their claim will likely not be paid should something happen but that doesn't help the other family who was involved in a crash with the vehicle and possibly suffered a loss or was injured. not long ago, on this site, there was a guy who just got an old truck out of the back field that had been there for years. he installed a new v8 engine and was so excited when it started up. I don't blame him for that. then he drove it to his dad's place to show him. not insured, lic'd etc BUT IT ALSO HAD NO BRAKES! sure, back road, short distance, not much traffic, at night, but NO BRAKES! what else didn't work or was about to fail. we gotta be smarter going forward. maybe dad couldda drove to see the truck instead.
anyway, just saying, build for the cool factor but also build for safety and be safe doing it. sometimes we think we will only endanger ourselves if we are the only ones in the vehicle but not all accidents are single vehicle incidents.
end of rant, carry on, criticise me if you want. I have thick skin.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 02:30 PM   #28
joedoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
We have to buy and have proof of liability insurance in Washington state or face a hefty fine but all too many around this area drive without it.

I was more concerned if you sold the car or had to have proof that you actually own the parts when it is inspected. I'm amazed that there haven't been big issues on frame swap trucks being sold out of state down here having trouble when they get inspected.
i think these kind of problems sort themselves out. i havent ever personally heard of anyone using a stolen truck, and in ks possession is law, so as long as there isnt any outstanding lien or registration, if you 'possess' it, you own it. on my donors i like using the whole truck so I absolutely get a title signed, I think most guys do too, and its included when I sell it with a copy for my records. if i get a salvage yard frame its VIN is printed on the receipt. my trucks are all over the US, none have had any problems with titling.

the problems i see most arent showing where every part came from but from waiting until the truck is DONE to worry about registration and not being able to get antique plates, not being denied outright registration. get your registration figured out first, and have no problems.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 12:52 AM   #29
suburban99

Went and got the registration done for the '50 today. When its done I just need to pay for the insurance and plates and good to go. Also did some work on the s-10 today. Yanmar comes in handy...
Attached Images

1997 Boxster.
1972 K10 Custom Deluxe LS 6.0
1950 GMC 3100 S10 & LS swapped
suburban99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 12:03 AM   #30
dsraven

looks like you have some scrap to get rid of as well, maybe make some money back, lol. the box doesn't look too bad will you use the floor etc in the old truck box?
Old 11-14-2021, 11:51 AM   #31
vintovka

In reading this thread 2 things amaze me!. One is the great skill involved the other is how much work goes into this process.

My k-10 conversion was childs play by comparison.

BTW used s-10 have gone way up around here due to no new trucks!!
vintovka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 12:24 PM   #32
dsraven

`wait, a front end loader AND a hoist?
thats cheatin.
Old 11-14-2021, 02:58 PM   #33
suburban99

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsraven View Post
`wait, a front end loader AND a hoist?
thats cheatin.

Once you turn 60..it's no longer cheatin'..
1997 Boxster.
1972 K10 Custom Deluxe LS 6.0
1950 GMC 3100 S10 & LS swapped
suburban99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 03:03 PM   #34
dsraven

I am 60, no front end loader, no hoist....
I gotta get more stuff. Haha