The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-28-2021, 12:45 AM   #1
Mike80D

Special paint SPID

Saw an ad for a glovebox door on another site, and was curious about the special paint codes? I don’t guess I have seen that before. I know it’s a 115” cab chassis truck, just curious as to what it would have looked like color wise.
Attached Images

Mike80D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 10:48 AM   #2
old51sedan

Re: Special paint SPID

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike80D View Post
Saw an ad for a glovebox door on another site, and was curious about the special paint codes? I don’t guess I have seen that before. I know it’s a 115” cab chassis truck, just curious as to what it would have looked like color wise.
Quite a few years ago, I purchased a 1954 sedan delivery. It was in primer, the cowl tag had all the GM numbers on it along with a paint code that reads S-P-E-C-I-A-L just like that. After pulling windshield I could see that it had been a county vehicle as it was painted bright orange as were all county vehicles at that time and still are. A good buddy of mine still owns it today. I believe this is common on state, county, and large business vehicles.
I remember back in the 60's & 70's when my uncle ordered new Ford's you could pay extra to have it painted another ford vehicle color that wasn't available on that model.
old51sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 11:08 AM   #3
jocko

Special Paint usually means a special mix for a company fleet or, more often than not, a different GM color that isn’t normally offered as an option on the vehicle in question. The Special Paint code itself isn’t something one can decode down to an actual color. This one sure looks a lot like 521 frost white though, so it’s a little bit of a head scratcher…. Very curious what the truck was originally purchased for. I assume done so by a company or municipality or something like that - but a 6 cyl 1/2 ton swb chassis cab is pretty unique.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 09:30 PM   #4
va72longhorn

I see it’s listed four times. And, from what I’m reading, it’s just the glove lid that’s been seen by the OP. Probably a white interior with a 4 color exterior. Could be 2 Custom colors broke up in 4 areas. Probably a common paint scheme, as stated, for a municipality or large company.
I know there are some larger contracting company’s like Fishel, Hitt, and Rockingham that still get their vehicles corporate colored from the factory. Some buy so many that they’re purchased straight from the manufacturer. I know, though ours are the standard summit white, my company buys straight from Chevrolet and just uses the local dealer as a receiving and delivery tool. But I’m getting off on a whole different subject now.....
va72longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 09:40 PM   #5
too much stuff
Roadtrip!

Looks very similar to this one i checked out this fall.
Attached Images

70 4x4/BB/bkts/posi/tach(retired)
70 swb (wifes)
70 jimmy camper
71 K-5 factory 2wd
71 cheyenne 4x4/tach/posi/ plow rig
71 Cheyenne20 BB, buckets, tach, tilt, 4 speed
72 jimmy CST wyoming rig
72 jimmy Colorado rig
72 lifted texas 4x4 3/4 ton burb
65 fury conv. 383/auto
65 chrysler 300 "L" 413 auto
too much stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 09:55 PM   #6
va72longhorn

Pretty close. If I’m reading it right, both are cab and chassis. The OP’s glove lid had a three on the column with a heavy duty clutch and black vinyl. Yours shows a four speed with blue vinyl. Am I correct ?
va72longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote