The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-02-2014, 10:11 AM   #26
Jon01

Re: Modified A-arms (what ya think)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
His plate is sitting on and welded to the arm...the spindle pushes down, meaning all the force goes into the arm its sitting on....whats the safety issue here? And no, I don't build this stuff or weld, so I'm not being a smart ass.
Does the spindle push down on the arm or does the spring constantly try to pull the ball joint through the arm - putting constant changing loads on those welds.
Think about what's going on as you assemble this stuff a bit deeper - you have to use force to compress the spring and get the ball joint stud into the spindle. There's minimal downward pressure on the ball joint, rather the spring is constantly trying to tear it out of the control arm - the spindle/ball joint are all that's holding that spring in there and containing it's expansive force that's supporting the weight of the vehicle...
You're modifying their attaching point.
What happens when someone nails a pothole on the interstate, the weld fatigued control arm or gusset lets go and you lose it and wipe out a van of kids?

Sorry guys, this is where you lose me. Unsafe.
Spend the $ to buy the right parts designed to accomplish the task at hand.
71 SWB C10 - LQ4+S476r
06 Duramax - LBZ - Exhaust, EFI Live, etc...
Jon01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 11:57 AM   #27
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon01 View Post
Does the spindle push down on the arm or does the spring constantly try to pull the ball joint through the arm - putting constant changing loads on those welds.
Think about what's going on as you assemble this stuff a bit deeper - you have to use force to compress the spring and get the ball joint stud into the spindle. There's minimal downward pressure on the ball joint, rather the spring is constantly trying to tear it out of the control arm - the spindle/ball joint are all that's holding that spring in there and containing it's expansive force that's supporting the weight of the vehicle...
You're modifying their attaching point.
What happens when someone nails a pothole on the interstate, the weld fatigued control arm or gusset lets go and you lose it and wipe out a van of kids?

Sorry guys, this is where you lose me. Unsafe.
Spend the $ to buy the right parts designed to accomplish the task at hand.
Kudo's Jon01.
This is a much better way to express your opinion/views w/o being ignored because of harshness.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 12:34 PM   #28
c20olive

yea thanks jon01 i respect that.... i do understand what your saying im not trying to put others or myself in danger i would never wont to hurt anyone the only reason for doing it this way is to save money if i can build something and save i will...i do know that this same lower arm has been on a truck around here for years he drives it piegon forge all the time never had an issue.

IG Handle: @78bigbluecrew
c20olive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 01:13 PM   #29
PGSigns

The big issue I see is the ball joint plate is only welded on the outside and then ground off. Looking at the pic if the a arm showing the lower side it does not look like a good weld. All the gussets you show will not help this issue. Prime area for a crack to start and that is not good.
Jimmy
1966 BBW long fleet Daily driver
1965 BBW short fleet Sold and going to a good home
1965 Suburban
2003 3500 Duramax
2005 Ultra Classic
PGSigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 04:58 PM   #30
c20olive

We'll I don't know what to do... I don't have the funds to buy any if I did I wouldn't even have done this...Evidently I can't fix them so there just scrap now I'm not trying to kill somebody just lower my truck.... And they where only moved in 3/4 of an inch I meant to change that also I am dropping front an rear as low a I can 5.5 or 6 front not sure yet on rear..... I guess what I'm looking for is a answer to fix these things or is there any hope

Old 07-02-2014, 05:31 PM   #31
tinydb84

I went 7/8'' of an inch thinking I could get away with not shortening the uppers. I now am shortening the uppers...Its okay I wanted to narrow my track width a bit anyway.

I would toss the arms and get a set from the junk yard. Run cut springs and save for spindles.
Rear suspension rework: http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=750557
Instagram: myfabguy
tinydb84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 06:08 PM   #32
chevy6guy9

Where at in nc are you at. I'll have an old set of original ones from a 66 c10 if they'll work for a clean slate to start with. Just come and take them off and your willing to have them. If ya need a hand doing them I can give u some pointers also.
chevy6guy9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 06:19 PM   #33
SCOTI

Sectioning the crossmember can yield 1-1.5" of drop & would be much safer.

I would do odd jobs to save up & get drop spindles. Also.... try searching Craigslist or here on the site in the classifieds for someone possibly selling some used drop spindles.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 06:44 PM   #34
c20olive

What do you mean scoti about sectioning the cross member ?

Old 07-02-2014, 06:45 PM   #35
c20olive

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy6guy9 View Post
Where at in nc are you at. I'll have an old set of original ones from a 66 c10 if they'll work for a clean slate to start with. Just come and take them off and your willing to have them. If ya need a hand doing them I can give u some pointers also.
I'm in mt.airy and thanks man I appreciate that ..if they will work I just may take you up on that

Old 07-02-2014, 07:33 PM   #36
Special-Ed

my 2 cents... just because you can, doesnt mean you should...

i hope to god you dont end up killing yourself or someone else over saving a few bucks.
Old 07-02-2014, 07:45 PM   #37
dirtyjim

if your dead set on dropped a-arms I would scrap that set and start over. you can get another set for $50 or so if you do a little searching through craigslist or the local pick a part.
then when it comes time to do them you'll need to pick up some 1/4" or 3/8" plate.
I did a set about 20 years ago in an afternoon. its been a while but I think I used some 1/4" x 5" plate, it could have been 6". I cut the arm about 3/4" behind the ball joint, I also removed about 3/4" of metal but when the plate was welded in it took up 1/4" inch making them only 1/2" narrower. after the arm is cut I welded the plate to the arm then tacked the outer stub back on about 2" higher. if I did it now I would move the ball joint 1" forward.
once it was tacked I cut off the excess plate then welded it all together. once that was done I made the gussets and welded them on.

I think if I was to do it now I would use the original to make a jig to locate the ball joint and shaft them go all out with tubular a-arms
Old 07-02-2014, 07:51 PM   #38
chevy6guy9

I'm in burlington which is about 30 minutes east of greensboro. Just let me know.
chevy6guy9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 08:21 PM   #39
69chevytrucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Special-Ed View Post

i hope to god you dont end up killing yourself or someone else over saving a few bucks.
someone had to come up with the idea of dropping a truck without custom work we would not have anything cool on cars/trucks remember when trucks had front manual drums not safe at all but some guys still run that way building a car that does over 200 miles per hour not safe but it is still done pre 60s no seat belt in back seat not safe at all im not trying to be a ass but if someone tries to build something you shouldnt pray to god for anything besides the stress is on the ball joint itself not the a arm that is why the ball joint is pressed into the a arm the wear part is the joint
69chevytrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 08:54 PM   #40
c20olive

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyjim View Post
if your dead set on dropped a-arms I would scrap that set and start over. you can get another set for $50 or so if you do a little searching through craigslist or the local pick a part.
then when it comes time to do them you'll need to pick up some 1/4" or 3/8" plate.
I did a set about 20 years ago in an afternoon. its been a while but I think I used some 1/4" x 5" plate, it could have been 6". I cut the arm about 3/4" behind the ball joint, I also removed about 3/4" of metal but when the plate was welded in it took up 1/4" inch making them only 1/2" narrower. after the arm is cut I welded the plate to the arm then tacked the outer stub back on about 2" higher. if I did it now I would move the ball joint 1" forward.
once it was tacked I cut off the excess plate then welded it all together. once that was done I made the gussets and welded them on.

I think if I was to do it now I would use the original to make a jig to locate the ball joint and shaft them go all out with tubular a-arms
It's not that I'm dead set on it just trying to get it low as possible and thank you for the help bud I'm not really sure what I'm going todo.....everyone around here seems to think the will never fail and I've ask a ton of fabricators welders u name it I've ask about it but I've got a lot of negative feed back on here just wont to do the right thing...the where also welded by a certified welder I forgot to mention that

Old 07-02-2014, 08:58 PM   #41
c20olive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Special-Ed View Post

Wow man like I said before here to learn not get bashed about trying something.....you don't have to be rude about it

Old 07-02-2014, 09:05 PM   #42
c20olive

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69chevytrucker View Post
someone had to come up with the idea of dropping a truck without custom work we would not have anything cool on cars/trucks remember when trucks had front manual drums not safe at all but some guys still run that way building a car that does over 200 miles per hour not safe but it is still done pre 60s no seat belt in back seat not safe at all im not trying to be a ass but if someone tries to build something you shouldnt pray to god for anything besides the stress is on the ball joint itself not the a arm that is why the ball joint is pressed into the a arm the wear part is the joint
Thanks man I really don't think they would break it's just all this negative feed back has got me doubting these arms the box it self acts as a gusset the only difference between mine an chevy mike is I don't have gussets on the back side I left all the structure to the arm it's self just raise the joint if you cut the arm in half yea u have got to put gussets but raising the ball joint an boxing it in should be just as strong that's just my way of thinking

Old 07-02-2014, 09:53 PM   #43
dirtyjim

chances are that it wouldn't fail as is but I've seen way to many things fail that were just fine on so and so's car for the last 5 years.

back when drop spindles first came out me and a bunch of my friends ran out and bought them. most of use were running wide 15" rims on the front and they would not clear the lower a-arm with a drop spindle. instead of buying new narrower rims with the correct back spacing we just ground down the sides of the a-arm till they cleared the rims. all of them eventually cracked and a few of them broke in half. we even tried welding in a plate to the underside of the a-arm around the ball joint area extending back a few inches past where they were cracking to strengthen them back up.
after going across several lanes of traffic sideways at 70mph through a ditch and through a wood fence backwards into a guys back yard when the a-arm broke we stopped cutting on them.
I was in my early 20's then, I'd like to think I learned a few things since then
Old 07-02-2014, 09:54 PM   #44
Jon01

Quote:
Originally Posted by c20olive View Post
Wow man like I said before here to learn not get bashed about trying something.....you don't have to be rude about it
I don't think anybody was bashing you. I wasn't - just making sure the point got across.
Everyone says I'm an asshole. I say I'm direct.

There are places to cheap out, suspension and brakes are not one of them.
Jon01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 10:11 PM   #45
Tom
driving is in my blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyjim View Post
the weight is actually pulling up on the lower a-arm through the spindle, the spring is pushing down.
I knew when I asked that question I was going to end up looking stupid
-CBR600F4i, CBR600RR, CBR1000RR, and standup skis
DISCLAIMER: I cant spell for the life of me.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 10:27 PM   #46
dirtyjim

its not a stupid question if you learn something from it
Old 07-02-2014, 10:55 PM   #47
c20olive

Thanks for the help fellas....I've looked up drop spindles the price isn't really that bad which brand do u guy recommend i thought they where around 300 a side looks like they come in twos if I'm reading correct I looked on performance online. Drop spindles an springs can get the front as low as possible for a static drop truck right.... I'm wanting my wheels to tuck under nice what should I do

Old 07-02-2014, 11:00 PM   #48
c20olive

And how do u section a cross member never heard about this before ?

Old 07-02-2014, 11:10 PM   #49
69chevytrucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by c20olive View Post
And how do u section a cross member never heard about this before ?
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=267665
HERE IS A LINK TO IT FRENCHBLUE DID IT
69chevytrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 11:38 PM   #50
jtp67-72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon01 View Post

There are places to cheap out, suspension and brakes are not one of them.
^^^ This I learned a long time ago....and not by choice....go the spindle and spring route for now....then when the money's right ....upgrade!!.....By the way...there's nothing wrong with wanting to build your own stuff and save a few bucks along the way...that's what most of us on here do too....but always keep a line drawn (according to your talents and knowledge) on what U CAN DO and what U NEED SOMEONE ELSE TO DO....U will find it makes life and your project much easier..........and on that note I think i have a set of used lowers...let me look tomorrow...if i do..there yours...we will work out the shipping! I'll pm u if I have them.....and then check these out

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=634090

Jim

Last edited by jtp67-72; 07-03-2014 at 12:01 AM.
jtp67-72 is offline   Reply With Quote