The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-24-2012, 09:49 PM   #1
rusty_67

Is this frame worth fixing?

Hi Everyone,

I've just started getting into my build only to find some frame damage that concerns me. The frame has a sort of bow in it just in front of the rear coils on both sides. Overloading I'm guessing? Has anyone seen this before?

There is also a rust hole just behind and below the rear cab mount on the passenger size.

Just looking for some advice on whether this is repairable and if its worth it. I've started looking around for a replacement, short of buying a whole pother truck. I haven't found anything close.

Thanks in advance.

Russ
Attached Images

rusty_67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 09:58 PM   #2
50bomb

Re: Is this frame worth fixing?

I use to have a 64 chevy truck and the frame was worse. Look like my truck was in a front end collision from whoever owned it before me. Frame got bent some and needed a weld up. It ended up being my daily driver for 6-7 years.
Old 05-24-2012, 10:16 PM   #3
Harpie

Its tobad your not closer to me I have a cousin with ten or more sitting in his salvage yard he hords them up for the fellow truck addicts like us. He just cut me a set of frame horns off for my short bed frame.
Harpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 12:47 AM   #4
rusty_67

Its mostly the bowing I'm worried about, not sure how someone would fix that. But I'm not much of an expert on frame work.

Thanks Harpie, but yeah kinda far. They are around, I just have to keep an eye out. Just want to get a good idea of the effort to fix this one to weigh my options.
Old 05-25-2012, 07:20 AM   #5
hugger6933

The rust spot should not be a problem. The spot on the rear looks like a spot that the truck was tied down for frame work. Get out the tape [measuring not masking ha ha] and X out the front say from the front cab mount pass side the the core support mount on the driver. then do the opposite side that way and see how close it is . Then take more say cab mounts [all 4] then do the back . I say if they all are really close then fix the frame if it is way out of square then start looking. Good luck and happy sanding
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 08:03 AM   #6
71tahoe

Much road salt up there? Where it's bowing is where another plate is sandwiched behind. I'm going to guess rust between the plates and deforming what you see on the outside of the frame. I would guess the plate inside is bowed too. Only a guess though.
71tahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 10:07 AM   #7
pumpkin

No its easier to find a good frame.
pumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 10:14 AM   #8
dyrt

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty_67 View Post
Hi Everyone,

I've just started getting into my build only to find some frame damage that concerns me. The frame has a sort of bow in it just in front of the rear coils on both sides. Overloading I'm guessing? Has anyone seen this before?

There is also a rust hole just behind and below the rear cab mount on the passenger size.

Just looking for some advice on whether this is repairable and if its worth it. I've started looking around for a replacement, short of buying a whole pother truck. I haven't found anything close.

Thanks in advance.

Russ

Is that the spot where there is a brace riveted on the back side? If it is, chances are it is actually from scaling rust that occurs between the brace and the frame since it is sandwiched there and the factory didn't rust protect. I drilled the rivets out on both sides, cleaned up the rust, beat it back in with a hammer, rust protected like crazy, then when i bolted it back together i made a 1/4" plate that bolted on the outside of the frame with the same bolts so it is now sandwiched on both sides. if it happens again in the future i am just going to unbolt the supports, cut out the metal, and weld new metal in. If you can weld is it not that hard to fix. It could also be a mix between the rot AND overloading.
dyrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 12:06 PM   #9
rusty_67

tahoe/dyrt: You guys are probably right. I guess I should at the very least strip it down and see what I find behind the plates. I'll probably end up tearing it down if it goes to scrap anyway.

Pumpkin, know anyone in the okanagan with a decent frame they need to get rid of?
Old 05-28-2012, 11:43 AM   #10
dubds10
Stalker Nate

What size frame are you looking for? 2wd or 4wd? I'll keep my eyes out for one. If it weren't for just buying an engagement ring I'd probably have a couple trucks with spare frame here but now I can't get any more projects in lol

Nate

Instagram - TheDonutDiner
FaceBook - @UscreamIscream
dubds10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 06:29 PM   #11
rusty_67

Hi Nate,

lwb 2wd coil spring. I've got a line on a leaf spring one right now, i should be able to swap all of the coil spring stuff over from mine. Still on the look out though. So let me know if you hear of anything.

Thanks
Old 05-28-2012, 07:08 PM   #12
dyrt

if you are going to scrap the frame i would pull all the salvageable body, bed, and rad mounts just because they something that people look for. Honestly, if those are the only bad spots in the frame it is not beyond repair and someone might even be able to use it. regardless of what you plan to do, good luck with the project!
dyrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 12:57 PM   #13
rusty_67

Thanks dyrt, Yeah I plan to pull everything off. I'll be reusing the front cross member with new parts for disc conversion. Reusing most of the rear suspensions brackets, with new air bag set up. Probably re use the cab mounts since they've already had new seats welded on them. Anything I don't use will go to the guy I'm planning to get the other frame from and he'll use what he can.

As long as this other frame is straight and rust hole free I think its probably the cheaper root. He wants $100 which I'm guessing would be less than half what it would be to fix this one.