The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-28-2012, 09:47 PM   #1
leftybass209

How to clean fuel tank in truck?

I recently found a lot of debris in my fuel filter, and contribute it to the obviously dirty gas tank. My question is, is there any way to clean the tank, inside the truck. I live in an apartment complex and that makes it rather difficult to clean the debris without attracting some unwanted attention. Any help would be greatly appreciated! thanks!
leftybass209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 10:40 PM   #2
lpaine

Re: How to clean fuel tank in truck?

You should be able to pull the tank out without too much mess/spillage, take it to a shop that can boil it or clean it out put it back in and your done. I made it sound so easy didn't I? I've taken 1 tank out before, wasn't too involved, someone else will chime in here I'm sure. Hope this helps, Lew
lpaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 11:14 PM   #3
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

There is no way to clean the tank either safely or completely without taking it out. I would suggest as lpaine mentioned above.

Before removing, try to use as much of the gas as you can. You won't pick up any more debris like some people say. The sending unit tube only goes down so far and you will still have a gallon or so left in there to siphon out. I used a cheap siphon pump from one of the local parts stores or you can look in a Harbor Freight store.

If the rubber filler neck gasket is old and dry order one from Classic Heartbeat then cut the old one out, remove the seat and everything will be accessible to take the tank out.

When reinstalling, install the new gasket if you bought one and lube it liberally with silicone lubricant, petroleum jelly or similar. From the inside push the tank neck through. It works better if you have an assistant but I've done it by myself more times than I care to remember.
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 11:44 PM   #4
leftybass209

Thanks for the reply! I guess it won't be too hard to pull it out and take it somewhere to get it "boiled" and cleaned out as you all say. Unfortunately, the only other vehicle i have is a Chevy Cobalt, so it probably won't fit a fuel tank so easily in the trunk! It sucks that the only truck that I have is the one with the problems! haha. Thanks again for the replies!
leftybass209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 12:12 PM   #5
shelbert

I would think the answer would depend on what the debris was. If its just june bugs and trash you could just take the tank out and wash it out good. Make sure the sock on the sending unit is not split and it would be fine.

If its rusty enough to clog a filter there is no easy solution, believe it or not your best bet is just replace the tank with a aftermarket one. In the long run it will be cheaper.

If you are set on keeping the original tank, as said above getting it boiled out and coated at a good radiator shop. Be prepared to drop 300.00 plus though.
shelbert is offline   Reply With Quote