The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-16-2010, 09:21 PM   #1
RRinWT

TF spring shackle problem

Hey guys!

My name is Rob and I've been lurking for a month or so looking at the build threads and general questions, trying to get back up to speed on wrenching on these old trucks. It's been 10 years since my last build and I have forgotten a few things.

My first question is, on the rear springs, how in the @#%% do you get the spring eye bolt all the way out? I removed the tapered locking pin and drove the bolt back but it is hitting the frame. The shackles are off on the back end. Do I need to unbolt the springs from the axel?

Second, the left rear shackle bolt is rusted in place and broke in half in the frame bracket. The piece of the bolt on the inside came out with no problem. The rusted in stub, fortunately, is sticking to the outside. Anyone know how to get that thing out? I tried a 24" pipe wrench and it wouldn't budge. Should I try heating the frame bracket and see if it'll break loose?

The frame is a '58. Is the threaded sleeve inside the frame bracket replaceable? I'm looking at a picture of a shackle kit and it appears to come with 2 threaded sleeves. One for the spring eye and one for the frame bracket?

I'll start a build thread so everyone can see the strange combination of 55-59 Chevy and GMC parts I using.

Thanks!

Rob
'57 Belair 2dr hdtp
'55-'59 Chevy/GMC project
a.k.a. Frank, short for Frankenstein
RRinWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 09:42 PM   #2
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Re: TF spring shackle problem

You have to drive the pin out from the inside or cut the pin and finish driving it toward the frame.
The shakle kits come with the side bars, the screw in Pins and nuts, and 4 seals.
The part inside the bracket is replaceable but is a big PIA to do on the truck. You need a driver that fits well in the hole but not so big it hangs over the insert edge. heat it with a torch and drive it out.

You may have to heat the part in the second question to get it out.
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote