The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-31-2024, 06:24 PM   #1
bluec10

Question Clock is Ticking - Where to Start?

I grew up with a 68 C-10 farm truck. Nothing special - a basic truck with a 250 and three on the tree. I spent hours in that truck with my dad and was very attached to it.

When he retired from farming he gave me the truck. By then, it was just too far gone to restore. I harvested as many parts that I could and started looking for another truck. As luck would have it, my dad found a 69 GMC at an estate sale and I bought it. Only 34,000 original miles, moulding package, and had a poker straight body. I fixed the rusty cab corners and rockers and have kept it going for 25 years.

I’m 56 and am starting to feel that the restoration project is entering the “now or never” stage. I love working on it, but I’m feeling overwhelmed about where to start. Do I rebuild the 4-bolt small block I’ve been saving or look at an LS swap? Engine first or body first?

Many of you know what I’m talking about - where did you start?
2019 BMW R1250 GSA - Yahoooooooo
1979 Honda GL 1000 - retro touring at its best.

Past:
'05 Sierra 4x4 - Had 270,000 KM and running well when it was written-off by a stop sign runner.
'94 F-150 from the "F word" company. I'll admit it...good truck. Sold what was left of it for $800 to a guy who came to pick it up at 11:00 PM with cash in hand. Hmm.
'79 Sierra Grande (Black) organ donor - perfect rebuildable 4-bolt 350 and a good TH350.
'76 Sierra Grande (Orange) - hate isn't too strong a word. Kid who bought it turned it into a hot rod.
'68 C-10 R.I.P. - Dad's old truck...too far gone to resurrect.
'59 C-50 - with hoist. Truck is gone, wife isn't. Nuff said.
bluec10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2024, 06:34 PM   #2
geezer#99

Re: Clock is Ticking - Where to Start?

Brakes, suspension and steering first.
No need for more go if you can’t keep it on the road or stop safely.
geezer#99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2024, 07:13 PM   #3
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

^ What he said.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2024, 07:37 PM   #4
dmjlambert

For me it was rebuild engine and brakes first. I had a local engine guy rebuild the 350, and a local transmission shop rebuild the transmission. I did not need any suspension work and steering worked although it was power steering and the power steering box leaked enough to be annoying. I drove it. I got around to replacing the seals on the power steering box with help from a post by Tx Firefighter. I also got around to using disc/drum brakes and rally wheels from a 71 that I bought from a member here on the parts forum, and got that done.

My intention was to have an old truck as a daily driver and I have not cared to touch the body other than to patch parts that were letting rain in, but I feel when I do some good stuff to the body I'm going to use the paint methods landarts shows in this thread and touch it up. Keep as much as I can of the original paint and blend in color match paint. This is an inspiring thread, I recommend have a look. https://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vbo...d.php?t=795414

It depends on your goals, so give us a feel on whether you want to have gleaming new fancy paint, or mostly original paint and polish what's there? Do you want to do burn outs and race, or want daily driver and work truck?

Last edited by dmjlambert; 03-31-2024 at 08:08 PM.
dmjlambert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2024, 09:39 PM   #5
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

Well you've been driving the truck for 25 years so I'm sure you have good handle on its strengths and weaknesses. Obviously you've kept it up or it'd be behind or buried in a barn somewhere. Do you have any definitive plans or things you want to do with the truck for the next 25 years? If you don't plan on doing some tripping with it and just gonna use it as you have been then that should help u decide your plan. I'd rebuild the 350 and make sure its mechanically sound and decide what's next after that..

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

" Circumsatances Do Not Change Responsibility "

" The Sky is not the Limit, Your Mind is." Marilyn Monroe ..

RIP Charlie Watts 1941 - 2021
Already Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2024, 10:01 PM   #6
Rick Bollinger

For me and my 68 I started on fixing stuff the PO messed up. Starting with the cooling system and the mechanical side of it. kept snowballing for till I finally took it all the way down for a complete restoration. A word of warning on that it is verry intimidating and at times over whelming to do a complete tear down. I know why you see so many projects sitting or for sale. If you decide to do a complete restoration yourself including engine, transmission, suspension and body. And you doing the work plan on spending 30k and three years minimum to do a good quality build. And I'm not talking a show truck just a solid build presentable truck. Ask me how I know. Here is where I am at now. But the bed is done and cab is in primer. And am I thankful I bought all my sheet metal before everything went crazy.
Attached Images

Rick Bollinger is offline   Reply With Quote