The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-14-2005, 03:47 PM   #1
HillyBilly Chick

'72 Suburban, What's it worth?

I am new to this site and to trucks in general, so excuse me if I didn't post in the correct place. I am looking at a 1972 Suburban Custom Deluxe. The guy is asking $3500 for it. It has a fair amount of rust in the usual spots. It has a rebuilt 350, 10,000 miles ago, not sure if it is original. Also has a rebuilt transmission, 500 miles ago. Not sure if that one is original either. It has a million miles on it but most of the interior is original. Only the radio is after-market, but the dash wasn't mangled putting it in. It also has rear air which is currently not functioning. Just wanted some opinions on the price since I am new to this. I am trying to convince my husband to buy it. He isn't sure it would be worth it considering the cost of restoring and/or customizing. I just think it is the coolest looking truck ever! Thanks guys.

BTW: It is a 2wd AT with no third row.

Last edited by HillyBilly Chick; 06-14-2005 at 04:42 PM. Reason: forgot some stuff
HillyBilly Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 06:17 PM   #2
Long Roof
Old School, New Style

I paid $2,500 for one that sounds like similar shape. Mine did not have air. If the motor and tranny have been rebuilt by a reputable company with receipts than it my be worth that much.

Anything is only worth as much as someone is willing to pay. Make an offer of $2,000 and see what they say.

Aaron
- 96 Chevy Impala SS - mainly stock
- 98 Chevy Tahoe LT 4x4 - all stock
The Bad:
- 86 Chevy Suburban 1/2T 4x4 - winter beater
The Ugly:
- 72 Chevy Suburban 1/2T 2wd - parts truck
Long Roof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 05:27 AM   #3
4x4Poet

Long Roof made about the same guess I would have made. Roof air adds some value, but only a couple hundred bucks if it is complete yet not working. A fully functional factory A/C system with roof air that runs on cool R12 can add a grand to a truck with few flaws. 2wd burbs are usually worth less than 4x4s. In great condition, either go for over $10,000, but that is in great, original shape with low miles or really well restored– though not necessarily "concours" restored.

Could you describe the rust in more detail? Pics would be best, of course.

BTW, where does one find "chicks" that dig 3-door burbs? I'll take hillbilly, redneck, sophisticate– it don't matter as long as they like my burbs!
Old 06-15-2005, 07:23 AM   #4
HillyBilly Chick

Originally from the Bluegrass State (KY) and loved 4-wheeling as a kid/teenager. Now I am in FL courtesy of my husbands military career. As to why I like Suburbans: I gotta have something big enough to hold the 2 kids, 2 cats, dog, and pull a boat. Suburbans can handle the load and look good doing it! I currently have a Trailblazer but it just lacks the cool/classic factor. My husband has an '02 Camaro SS and that sure isn't going to do the job. It could get us where we're going fast, but some of us would have to ride on the roof!
Old 06-15-2005, 07:32 AM   #5
Hart_Rod

Welcome Hillbilly Chick from FL! What part are you in? I'm currently located in Pensacola. Here's a pic of my recently purchased 69 Burb. I'm in the process of installing bags and 20's.

Rob

Last edited by Hart_Rod; 12-12-2005 at 12:47 PM.
Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 09:06 AM   #6
Brewski*

Hey Hillbilly Chick,
I am a hillbilly too. From Lake Ozark Missouri.
Is it 4wd? 3/4 ton or 1/2? I got mine in March here off the board. I paid 2500 + 750 shipping for my 1/2 ton 68 4x4 GMC Burb from AZ. No A/C very little rust. It is all original also but only has 158k verified by AZ miles on it. 350 strong but needs work. got oil leaking from manifold and possibly front seal. Just a great cleaning did wonders for the interior. Shampooed the carpets and seats after a good vacuuming and it really looks great. I was offered 5k cash for it as is the other day and I said "No Way"~!
I think 3,500 for one with newer motor, A/C, Rear A/C in pretty good condition would be fair. I would offer them 3k and settle for 3,250. buy it just to have it~! Restore it, custom it, or just drive it~! They are great vehicles and every where I go I get " What year is that" " Sure don't see them any more" "Want to sell that one" "Like Your Suburban"

Just Cool~!

Here is a link so you can get a jist of what I paid for. It looks much better than these pics but bought it from only lookin at these pix.
My Burb

Last edited by Brewski*; 06-15-2005 at 09:15 AM.
Brewski* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 08:02 PM   #7
HillyBilly Chick

Here are some pictures of the 'burb I was referring to.

Whoa! that was alot of work...

Our web page

Last edited by HillyBilly Chick; 06-15-2005 at 08:04 PM.
Old 06-15-2005, 08:20 PM   #8
bagged91
Out draggin'

Don't look to bad. The rust can be a problem. Before you commit to it, do yourself a BIG favor and crawl underneath of it with a screwdriver and do some poking. You have to be carefull as they do like to rust. With the dogleg looking like that, I'lle guarrantee that you have rear floor rot and also where it goes up to the wood floor. Also, check where the 4th door would have been and at the bottom of both B pillars. Front floorpans are available as are the front and 3rd door rockers so they aren't too big of a worry but the other items I mentioned aren't available new. Don't get me wrong, you can patch it up and make it roadworthy but this could be a good piece of leverage if the truck has more rot than it's showing. I would start at around $2000 - $2500. The $3500 is pushing it a little bit.

Oh, BTW, Welcome to the board from NJ....
72 C10 Burb (ex. Cheesewagon)SOLD
72 C20 Burb parts truck
71 C10 Burb "project"
bagged91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 06:21 AM   #9
4x4Poet

Looks pretty good up top. Bagged91 is dead on right. Check down low for rust. Bring a creeper or ask to take it to a body shop or mechanic that checks out such things. The rust will likely prove more of a hassle to fix than mechanical stuff. Hopefully, you could get away with repairing the rust down low and using the lower side molding as a line to cover your work. Assuming the blue paint and roof don't need repainting to be protective of the metal or just look nice.

Is it complete? I couldn't tell from the pics. Seems likely from what those pics show. Is the A/C system complete even if not working? Is the compressor there as well as the evap and dash pieces? Is the paint a repaint?

We often ask a lot of questions as a matter of routine. No need to feel obligated.

Last edited by 4x4Poet; 06-16-2005 at 06:23 AM.
4x4Poet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 04:27 PM   #10
toroflow

My buddy just paid $300 for a running 2WD '71 GMC sub, the 400 tranny is slipping badly though. No rust, and just a few dents.
'64 GMC Suburban 4x4
toroflow is offline   Reply With Quote