The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-07-2012, 12:01 PM   #1
Midgets50

lighting and gauges

hi im fairly new to the forum. ive got a 51 chevy 3600 and im trying to figure out what to do for gauges. i want aftermarket and digital if possible. but i also want something affordable due to my lower budget on the build. im also looking for a good set of headlights i can use. I was trying to find out if there was anyway to put 4 headlights on it or not. around here deer are thick so im wanting to have 4 headlights to help prevent any unwanted deer damage. any pictures of modifications would be appreciated Thanks
Midgets50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 07:10 AM   #2
1project2many

Re: lighting and gauges

dual lights were popular additions in the late '60s and '70s. Pick up some old van and custom magazines if you want some inspiration.

1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 10:43 AM   #3
mknittle

this may help some.
http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.c...cat/cat636.htm

My GMC build.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=536602
mknittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 01:44 PM   #4
mr48chev

Very few guys have carried off the four headlight thing on an AD truck and the dream truck is probably the one best example. Rather than four headlights why not high powered headlights along with a pair of high powered driving lights mounted on the panel behind the front bumper?

Years ago I had a pair of Cibie H-4 headlights and used 55/100 watt bulbs that are intended for motorcycles and they put good light down the road as far as you could see in a straight line. I've got a pair of H-4 lights in my 71 GMC now with the same bulbs that were made in India and while they are good they aren't quite as good as the Cibies were. You want new and not used though as they tend to loose the shine on the reflectors after a number of years.

If you want inexpensive head lights or driving lights off Ebay I suggest and recommend this seller. http://www.ebay.com/sch/rimiinc/m.ht...&_trksid=p3984 I've bought several headlights from him and the service is top rate and the quality of the lights is good.

As far as the gauges. That is something you have to look straight at every time you get in the truck and I would suggest saving up the money and getting exactly what you want and not cutting corners and getting the "almost as good as" gauges. The gauges and steering wheel make or break the interior of the truck.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 04:33 PM   #5
mknittle

Better check local laws on the headlights. the ones mr48 sigusted would get you a big fat ticket here.

My GMC build.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=536602
mknittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 01:39 PM   #6
Midgets50

Thanks for the advice. im thinking ill just stick with the 2 headlights but i did some research and might do projecter lights with HID bulbs
Old 07-10-2012, 01:50 PM   #7
mr48chev

If you go projector light/ HID spend the money and get the real ones and not the 30.00 ones off Ebay as they aren't too good.

If it were me I'd still run good halogen headlights and run a pair of serious driving lights on the apron behind the bumper.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 02:15 PM   #8
Midgets50

How well do the halo or angel eye lights work. its says you can use the lights that are around the main beam as turn signals, parking lights etc
Old 07-11-2012, 01:54 AM   #9
1project2many

I realize the OP has gone a different direction but I want to post the image of the first truck from above as it's the same vintage as the AD trucks.
Attached Images

Old 07-11-2012, 10:24 AM   #10
Midgets50

Thanks for the pictures i have a few ideas of how they look now. im having second thoughts on the digital gauges. whats a good affordable brand for individual gauges?
Old 07-11-2012, 12:06 PM   #11
1project2many

There's a lot involved with making a digital gauge really "right." Need to have enough shadow over it so you can see it in the daylight, you need to have a dimming circuit so it doesn't blind you at night, it needs to be bright enough to see if the sun shines directly on it, and most people want to to be simple to connect. Badly done digi dashes are just no fun. For my own part, I've always liked the look of the digi dash in a Cadillac Allante. Several different colors, graphic and numeric displays, and it just looks neat. Plus it's fairly reliable.

Old 07-11-2012, 04:07 PM   #12
Midgets50

Im thinking of intellitronix gauges. has anyone ever used them or heard anything good or bad about them?
Attached Images