The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-18-2008, 08:10 PM   #1
NONHOG

Lowering an 08 silverado

Just got a new one and boy does it sit high ! I have just started to look at lowering kits . Anyone here done this yet ? Its a short bed 2wd V6 and I have to wonder why that would matter but it may cause one site I checked doesnt list front end kits for V6 Hmmm ? I want to drop it from 3-6 " depending on cost involved . Thanks

Last edited by NONHOG; 03-18-2008 at 08:10 PM.
NONHOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 08:53 PM   #2
SBTork
Garage wrench

Re: Lowering an 08 silverado

3-6" is good, but i've seen the 4-7" drop on these trucks and it looks prefect. They may not list V6 for drop kits, but call the company and it should not make a difference.

90 V1500 GMC Suburban 350/700R4/NP241.....
01 Saturn SL1 stock DD.....
SBTork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 04:46 AM   #3
72BlckButy
Tot Roddin'

NONHOG.... check in with lolife99 and/or hot trux. They are going to install a 4/6 kit on an '08 pickup pretty soon.

1969 CST SWB - Project Blank Slate (4.5/6" ECE Static Drop, 6-lug disc brake upgrade (manual), Billet Specialties Vintec 20x8.5 255/40 (F) 20x10 295/40 (R), 250 I-6)
1960 AMF Skylark - Tot Roddin' (Lowered with custom frame; soon to include custom push bar and interior)
2008 Silverado CrewCab 1LT (5.3L, 3:73, 4x4, LT1, Z-71, Towing Package)
72BlckButy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 12:54 AM   #4
Big H

You can run up to 5 inches of front drop and 7 inches of rear drop depending on what parts you decide to use. The rear frame kick up is plenty high and does not require a C-notch for clearance. The parts you are looking for are the 2-inch drop spindles, 2- or 3-inch drop coils, a rear axle flip kit and rear shocks.
Old 03-20-2008, 12:57 AM   #5
1LoC10
Insert Title Here

Here is a 5/7 install on a Crew cab
http://www.truckinweb.com/tech/suspe...ado/index.html

1000 pics of 67-72's>> http://s193.photobucket.com/albums/z...-72/?start=all <<
1LoC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 01:15 AM   #6
Slmd92DIME

Sounds awesome make sure you post some pics of it when you get it slammed...

Petitioning *No Regrets* MD/WV
Slmd92DIME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 08:21 AM   #7
NONHOG

Thanks for all the tips, it should be fun ! Think I am gonna like this truck !
Old 03-22-2008, 03:00 AM   #8
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Nonhog,... hot trux and I just did a McGaughy's 4/6 drop last Monday night on an '08 GMC Sierra. It was a V6 plain standard cab shortbed 2wd. I'm sure we could do one faster now,... But hot trux started on the front by himself at 1:00 pm and I showed up to help by 5:00pm. At 10:00 pm we were done. We've both lowered alot of "other" year trucks but not the newest body style. It's all pretty straight forward. We had no lift,... but did have air tools, 6 jack stands, and 3 floor jacks. You will need a grinder and a grinder with a cut-off wheel. The factory torques on the ball joints and tie rods are pretty important. You will also need a spring compressor for the front strut springs. The rear is fairly easy with the exception of the driver's side FRONT leafspring bolt. The gas tank has to be removed, to remove the bolt,... so McGaughy's recommends leaving it in,... to flip the rearend on top of the leaf springs. We removed the passenger leaf spring and slid the rearend to the passenger side,... then up and over the driver's side leaf spring. All in all, it looks MUCH better,... BUT,... it doesn't look "slammed" at all. It looks like the way GM "should" have built their 2wd models. Also,... hot trux just got it back from the dealership for a frontend alignment. (I have a buddy there that I trust very much) The frontend alignment took 3 1/2 hours and $187.00 to do. The 4" front drop throws the toe out really far. We hauled it to the dealership on a trailer. Like I said,... it looks good,... just trying to tell you what to expect. Search around at www.gmfullsize.com for pics of the (NNBS ,...New New Body Style '07-'08) truck pics in the suspension section.

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823

Last edited by lolife99; 03-22-2008 at 06:16 AM.
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 04:52 AM   #9
NONHOG

Thanks lolife99 ! Good info and I'll check out that site ! Heck I am 6' and am already tired of jumping up to the seat imagine my 5' wife
Old 03-22-2008, 06:14 PM   #10
mixermike

i put a DJM 4/6 on my 2000 gmc 8 years ago and love it still. it looks good and is not to low for a daily driver.
mixermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 06:06 PM   #11
68#2

Hey I just did a 4-7 McGuaghys on my 08 Sierra and im not sure what the other people are talking about with it not being that low I'll post pics My trucks on 22's and the rear is starting to tuck and the front is a little higher but i was told when the front coils break in it will come down some let me know what you guys think. Oh and I spoke with McGaughys and the shop that did the drop and a few other shops about the c-notch because i didnt want to do one if i didn't have to and even McGaughy's says you should if you plan on doing any amount of driving. So I went with there deluxe kit and it rides great it went right back into alignment with the McGaughys spindles took the shop about 1hr to 1hr 1/2 And I love the way my truck came out now I'm gonna smoke all the lights do a rear roll pan and bed cover and push the power with a turbo or supercharger oh and change that ugly exhaust tip
Oh yeah and two days after i got her done someone already stole one of my wheel caps sucks
Attached Images

68#2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 06:17 PM   #12
LEEVON

Old thread, but heck why not. I've been through several front end set-up's starting over 2 years ago; DJM and Belltech and I finally settled on McGaughy's 2" dropped spindles and strut relocators set at 2" (which are custom made by McGaughy's, not many out there). Here's it is with the old 3/6:

Last edited by LEEVON; 08-15-2010 at 06:18 PM.
LEEVON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 06:37 PM   #13
68#2

So what drop do you have now? 4 front what in the rear 6? So I guess you like the McGauhys I love the stuff and how my truck turned out with it. Did you use there c-notch or one at all? truck looks good so does it look alot lower now? any current pics
Old 08-15-2010, 06:43 PM   #14
68#2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolife99 View Post
Nonhog,... hot trux and I just did a McGaughy's 4/6 drop last Monday night on an '08 GMC Sierra. It was a V6 plain standard cab shortbed 2wd. I'm sure we could do one faster now,... But hot trux started on the front by himself at 1:00 pm and I showed up to help by 5:00pm. At 10:00 pm we were done. We've both lowered alot of "other" year trucks but not the newest body style. It's all pretty straight forward. We had no lift,... but did have air tools, 6 jack stands, and 3 floor jacks. You will need a grinder and a grinder with a cut-off wheel. The factory torques on the ball joints and tie rods are pretty important. You will also need a spring compressor for the front strut springs. The rear is fairly easy with the exception of the driver's side FRONT leafspring bolt. The gas tank has to be removed, to remove the bolt,... so McGaughy's recommends leaving it in,... to flip the rearend on top of the leaf springs. We removed the passenger leaf spring and slid the rearend to the passenger side,... then up and over the driver's side leaf spring. All in all, it looks MUCH better,... BUT,... it doesn't look "slammed" at all. It looks like the way GM "should" have built their 2wd models. Also,... hot trux just got it back from the dealership for a frontend alignment. (I have a buddy there that I trust very much) The frontend alignment took 3 1/2 hours and $187.00 to do. The 4" front drop throws the toe out really far. We hauled it to the dealership on a trailer. Like I said,... it looks good,... just trying to tell you what to expect. Search around at www.gmfullsize.com for pics of the (NNBS ,...New New Body Style '07-'08) truck pics in the suspension section.
Hey was just curious about your reply for the McGaughys 4-6 drop and saying its not that low I posted pics of mine just done 2 days ago and I thinks its pretty low cant get any lower without bagging So if you have a sec take a look and if you could let me know if you got the same results or if the one you did was not as low thanks
Old 08-15-2010, 07:55 PM   #15
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68#2 View Post
Hey was just curious about your reply for the McGaughys 4-6 drop and saying its not that low I posted pics of mine just done 2 days ago and I thinks its pretty low cant get any lower without bagging So if you have a sec take a look and if you could let me know if you got the same results or if the one you did was not as low thanks
Your truck "looks" a little lower. Your large diameter wheels fill up the wheelwells more than the one we did. (4/6 drop. with stock 17" wheels)
I just don't like how the front looks higher than the back.
I wish we had taken pics,... but it was at a buddy's shop. (one of his customers truck).
To me they look like GM should have made them from the factory.
They are way too high in stock form.

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823

Last edited by lolife99; 08-16-2010 at 03:37 PM.
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 02:32 PM   #16
LEEVON

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68#2 View Post
So what drop do you have now? 4 front what in the rear 6? So I guess you like the McGauhys I love the stuff and how my truck turned out with it. Did you use there c-notch or one at all? truck looks good so does it look alot lower now? any current pics
I think you're asking about my truck, it is 4" in the front now (strut relocators @ 2" plus spindles @ 2"). The rear was always 7" with the flip kit but I have the helper bags which I can get several inches of lift out of. I had it at 6" in the pic to match the front. It doesn't look a whole lot different at 4/7, just a little lower, I'll see if I can snap a pic but I don't like to when my turck is dirty
Old 09-29-2010, 11:32 PM   #17
68#2

Well there's not alot on the streets new body style that is lowered not leveled and you didnt add a picture of the truck you like so I have no idea what you are talking about its a link to drive by wire. And no I don't want lowrider style silverado because I have a GMC SIERRA and theres alot of differences in the body alone also its street truck style with a supercharger not lowrider. Here are some more current photos of it still not done though it does have a metal roll pan and some other new things its on a McGaughys 4-7 drop with c-notch upload the photo you are talking about
thanks
Attached Images

Old 09-29-2010, 11:46 PM   #18
NONHOG

Still stock here. Thinking about a 2/4 and see what I think. I tow/haul from time to time and don't want to screw that up.
Attached Images