The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-16-2011, 10:55 AM   #1
rou
I can see the finish line!

Post Our first Build - '71 C20 LWB

I purchased this vehicle in June of '09 with the goal of working on it with my teenage son. We like to do projects together, but have not done much with automobiles. The goal was to teach my son (and myself) about automotive mechanics and restoration, plus have a truck that we can use around town. I was looking for a vehicle that was obtainable at a reasonable cost, good looking, not computerized, with accessible parts. My goal was not to restore the truck OEM or have a show truck, but a weekend driver that looks fairly stock with a few upgrades.

Before we get to the good stuff, I do need to give some respect to my buddy Dan Smith. We were having a beer after our monthly Fire Department meeting and I mentioned my desire to do a project like I just mentioned above. Without hesitating, he said 67-71 Chevy Pickup (no surprise to any of you reading this). Dan is a former bodyshop guy and is now a metal fabricator who knows his stuff. Within three weeks I had done my research and agreed with Dan that this was the way to go. I found this truck on EBay in Phoenix where my brother lives, so he drove over to give it a good look. He liked what he saw and before I knew it, I was unloading the truck here in New Jersey. So pretty much everything that happens after this is partly Dan’s fault!

This truck has already had a lot of drive train work done to it, some of which may be detailed elsewhere on this board by PO. We decided to do some minor work and drive it for a while to get to know it. I can tell you we get a lot of comments while on the road, but you know that already We started by lowering the rear suspension 3 inches and the front 1 inch, installing 3 way seat belts along with some minor engine work.

This project has been growing steadily with time. I must admit that this forum is a blessing and a curse. I have been watching and researching here for a while and have used many of your examples to accomplish tasks (blessing). I have also seen many cool ideas that have helped grow the scope of this project substantially (blessing/curse part). Originally we were just going to move the gas tank back under the bed (top seal failed and cab stunk like gas) and do a complete rewire (PO’s were fond of random splicing, using tin foil in the fuse panel and a bunch of other scary methods). As soon as the bed came off, the list started growing.

Hopefully I give credit where due to the folks whose examples I have used, but I do have to give big credit to Bruce88 (It’s Just a Pickup). I have really been inspired by your excellent thread, and you will see many examples of me basically copying your ideas.

Below is our ever growing project list. I like the way Hart_rod listed the project list up front in this thread (68 S/C update.....) so I am utilizing that as well and plan on coming back to this first post and updating our progress.

I have found myself searching build posts for info I know is there. It makes sense that an index would help others find topics of interest, so I have an idea to solve this. I will list the page and post number next to the line for use as an index of sorts. Let’s see if it is adopted by others…

We started this build in earnest on June 1, 2010. I will post a bunch of pics to get us up to date.

Purchases:
Lowering springs and shocks 1” front 3” rear
Three point seat belts
Battery
Starter
Gas tank and fuel line - 20 GAL ALM FUEL TANK 90124 BED FILL FLUSH CAP 6372 CT Classic Performance
Wire kit
Dashboard
Stereo
Factory Mirrors
Rubber for doors, cab, hood, windows, etc.
Electric locks
Electric windows
Old bed floor
Washer fluid pump

Project List

Exterior:

fill in old gas filler hole
Repair rocker panel and cab corner rust – Passenger done --Page 1 Post#5
Repair broken /ripped panels
Repair rust damage on tailgate
Refurbish all body molding
Replace vent window rubber - Done -- Page 2 Post#28
Repaint emblems
Install factory mirrors
New front and rear CST side marker lights with bulbs
Remove fuel cell from cab - Done
Install under bed fuel tank - Done
Replace bed floor with old stock
Install fuel filler in bed floor
New wheels and tires
Install new cab and radiator mounts – Done
Replace washer fluid pump - Done --Page 1 Post#23
Paint interior and exterior

Front suspension:

Install 1" drop springs – Done
lowered shocks – Done
Service brakes – Done

Rear suspension:

new ¾ ton trailing arm bushings
Install 3” drop springs – Done
ECE shock relocators – not necessary right now?
New adjustable track bar – Done
lowered shocks – Done
Service Brakes – Done

Interior:

Install new 3 Point seatbelts – Done
Weld up interior and exterior cab panels on front of door opening – done
Weld patch panels in radio hole - Done
Install Retro Sound radio
New arm rests
Custom cup holder
Install new gas, brake and emergency brake pedals
Install sound insulation on floor
Install speakers in kick panel
Install two way speakers in old dash speaker hole
Close up speaker holes in doors
Mount amp and subwoofer behind seat where gas tank was located
Power Windows
Power locks
Door wire looms - maybe Electric-Life 94202 - Electric-Life Billet Door Wire Looms
Install new headliner trim and old headliner
Find and install factory buddy buckets?
New smaller steering wheel?

Motor/engine compartment:

rewire entire engine compartment
Replace shift linkage at Transmission - Done
Fix power steering leak – Done
Replace fuel pump
Replace starter – Done
Replace Battery - Done

Side Projects:

Compressor - Done
Welding Cart - Done -- Page 1 Post #12
Spray/Dust Booth - Done

Here are pics of the truck when I bought it.
Attached Images

Last edited by rou; 11-17-2011 at 02:56 PM.
rou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 10:57 AM   #2
rou

Re: Our first Build - '71 C20 LWB

A few more pics
Attached Images

Old 01-16-2011, 11:15 AM   #3
rou

Post Re: Our first Build - '71 C20 LWB

We first lowered the front 1” and rear 3”
Then we added the three point seat belts.
The starter went pretty early on, so we replaced that and threw in a new battery as well.
Here is the stance before and after.
We will evaluate weather we like it after we decide on wheels and tires
Attached Images

Old 01-16-2011, 12:22 PM   #4
rou

Tear down

It took about 20 minutes into the tear down to realize this was going to get out of hand. The entire left side had been replaced, the roof had been replaced from where the B pillar meets the cab body and about 1/3 down the A pillar. My guess is it that it rolled at some point. The cracks on the body were from a mad amount of bondo used to fill up the area that was affected.

We took the bed off and found the heavy reinforcement plates for the fifth wheel

Then we emptied the cab. As soon as I started in on the cracked side of the cab, I realized that I could not contain the repair to the white painted area and would need to paint the entire cab, thus the entire truck, so much for a quick build out. I ordered a soda blaster from Eastwood and found a local company that sells the soda material and started a combination of chemical, mechanical and soda blasting on the cab and exposed frame. Pics of stripped cab and frame. For the frame, which is in really good shape, I am going to wire / Soda the surface rust, and then paint with rust encapsulator and then Eastwood Chasis black. I have not convinced myself that the cab needs to come off yet, and I really don’t want to pull the engine so I am only focusing on the frame rear of the cab.

Bed Floor

The PO had used this truck with a fifth wheel, so we found some heavy steel reinforcements on the frame. We also determined that the bed floor would take some serious time to fix, and I was not sure I had the skills to fix it. Fortunately I found a solid original long bed and will use the old one for patch parts. It may be said frequently elsewhere, but the bed patch panels that most suppliers advertise or not a suitable option for patching. The metal is the wrong guage and the grooves do not line up. I did keep the 2 X 4 panel and am using it for other fabrication needs. Show pics of old and new bed floor
Attached Images

Old 01-16-2011, 03:19 PM   #5
rou

One of my brothers recently moved to NJ from Eugene OR and he has joined our little project team. It is nice to have family helping and supporting the build.

Rocker panel and cab corner

Besides the surprise of the “new” roof, the rest of the cab is in really good shape. I am replacing the rockers, rusted bottoms of A and B posts and cab corners and massaging the previous repairs a little. Due to the tight space we are going to work the passenger side all the way through primer and then do the driver side.
First thing we did was weld a steel bar across the door opening and use a tie down around the back of the cab to keep everything from moving (Bruce88 again). The welds between the inner and out cab panels on the front of the door openings had all given away and the whole door frame would move when the doors were opened, so I drilled new holes and spot welded each side, What a difference in the stability of the cab!

I cut away the rocker and was pleasantly surprised. I replaced the bottom section of the A post first, and then cut away the bottom of the B post. The bends from the replacement part were over .5” off, but luckily I saved the original piece and welded it back on to just below the bad bend, and then welded the new piece on and everything looked great. Lesson learned her is to remove the minimum effected area while still providing structural integrity.
Next I tackled the cab corner. After much measuring, marking and staring, I dove in and cut off the corner. This is the our first foray in to real body work, so it was a little intimidating.
Attached Images

Old 01-16-2011, 03:23 PM   #6
rou

More Rocker panel pics
Attached Images

Old 01-16-2011, 03:38 PM   #7
rou

Cab Corner and Rocker Install PICS
Attached Images

Old 01-16-2011, 03:46 PM   #8
67chevylongbed

Looks like a great start, keep it up

1967 C10 LWB SOLD....

1995 Ford F-250 4x4 Powerstroke, 342k

"Each generation goes further than the generation preceding it because it stands on the shoulders of that generation. You will have opportunities beyond anything we've ever known."
-Ronald Reagan
67chevylongbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 03:51 PM   #9
rou

More Cab Corner and Rocker Install
The corner ligend up pretty well except for the botton rear, but little welding and then body hammer two step brought things in line. I was reall pleased with how this came our for our first real body patch.

We got pretty lucky with the rocker fit. The fair was really good with the fender and corner, our only real problem was with the door bottom hitting the rocker. It was close enough that we could massage the piece in to place by welding from the bottom up on the rear. We then went along the top to the front, and the from the top down on the front. It came out really well. I'll add pics of the fit and fair soon, but right now everything lines up really well. We finished by welding the gap between the corner and the rocker.

Before we started, there were shims everywhere on the doors and fenders. After replacing the body mounts and welding the cab inned and outer skins together, no shims are needed.
Attached Images

Old 01-16-2011, 03:58 PM   #10
grayharville
^^who I am^^ what I say>

great progress, keep the pics coming.

East Tx Squares
grayharville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 03:59 PM   #11
rou

Oops! That hole is not supposed to be there.

We got a little excited about getting the rocker on and forgot to fill in this hole on the front section. I am not sure why it would be there but it has to go. Now that we have several hours on the Mig, we are real fabricators so this little tool helped keep the project moving.
Attached Images

Old 01-16-2011, 04:15 PM   #12
rou

Post Side project 1 Welding Cart

We picked up a Miller 180 MIG welder but needed something get it around the barn on. I saw some really nice examples of homemade carts on the forum, but Dan and I had other ideas. We procured a small, beat up shopping cart in town and proceeded to cut it up. Here are a few shots of the mini build.

It is really solid and rolls around my uneven blacktop floor pretty well.

Name:  IMG_0829.jpg
Views: 2582
Size:  52.2 KB

Name:  IMG_0831.jpg
Views: 2617
Size:  47.2 KB

Name:  IMG_1010.jpg
Views: 2574
Size:  47.5 KB

Fortunately the fire extinguisher has not been required.

Name:  IMG_1011.jpg
Views: 2625
Size:  53.2 KB

Yes, that is an old panel welder in the background. Dan dropped it by the other day. Just press the two handles against the top panel and press the button and you have two spot welds. Really cool tool, just need an application for it. I didn't have the guts to try it on the rocker.

Hey, I just figured out how to place the pics within the text!
Old 01-16-2011, 04:24 PM   #13
67chevylongbed

I like the stand idea keep it up!

1967 C10 LWB SOLD....

1995 Ford F-250 4x4 Powerstroke, 342k

"Each generation goes further than the generation preceding it because it stands on the shoulders of that generation. You will have opportunities beyond anything we've ever known."
-Ronald Reagan
67chevylongbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 12:48 PM   #14
oldblue1968chevy
Grandpa in the rustmobile...

nice stand and cool project!

Goose-1968 C10 355,9.32-1CR, Vortec Heads ,262 voodoo, 3.73:1 3OTT (HS ride/beater/farm truck)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=317684

Grams 53-1953 Chevrolet Belair
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post4327784

1969 Chevy C10 Shortbed 4.5/6?" Frame off resto
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=548136

1999 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
oldblue1968chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 03:30 PM   #15
sourkraut

nice work! cool welding cart

sourkraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 06:48 PM   #16
J. Billman

I am currently doing similar work to my 1970 C20 396BB. I purchased the driver from pillar from LMC. Who ever did the rocker replacement seem welded it in so I had to cut it out. The pic of the rear pillar is just showing that I have junk as reference.

I am now having problems installing the rocker panel. Do the front and rear pillars have recess's in them so the rocker panel will be flush on the vertical plane? I have included pics of my before and after. Maybe I welded the pillar in wrong. I took a pic of a green truck yesterday where I store my camaro. My stuff just isn't going together like I think it should.

J

Last edited by J. Billman; 02-07-2011 at 02:58 PM. Reason: Didn't want to clutter someone else's build
J. Billman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 07:35 PM   #17
VA72C10
VA72C10

Nice truck and work so far and I like the listing with the addition of which post the completed task is in. Good idea!
Old 01-31-2011, 12:32 PM   #18
rou

I used this thread to get some bearings on how to approach the project. The key I found was lining up the rocker to the door, cab corner and fender. This took a lot of trial and error along with grinding and hammering the rocker. Once installed, rocker just laid on top of the posts on either vertical end. I took the opportunity to practice my welding by building up the weld and then grinding them down to look flush (Pics 3&4 of post#9). It was either weld and grind or use body filler later, so I chose steel.
The link above will likely give you better reference points. Good luck!
Old 01-31-2011, 12:41 PM   #19
J. Billman

After posting last night I put the door back on and I realized the door was hitting the the recess of the floor pan, without the rocker being installed. I think I may have not clamped the floor pan in properly when I welded it in last weekend.

Thanks for the pictures and input. Excellent documentation.

J
J. Billman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 10:17 PM   #20
Hubscrub
Cruzin

nice work so far

Back to the Fifties 59 https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...NAeStpydfrcj_U

Proverbs 3:5,6

"Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible to travel across the country from coast to coast without seeing anything."Charles Kuralt

In memory of our first baby daughter, daddy and mommy love you.
Danica Grace 6/26/14
Hubscrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 10:36 PM   #21
Hardesty454

Looks amazing so far! LOVE that fact that you and your son are doing this together. When I was 15 I worked and saved up to buy a 57 3100 for me and my dad to build, so this brings back those memories. Now that im a little older (23) I still make him drive up to my house and help me on my truck now. You have no idea what this might mean to him. Project looks amazing, and glad youre here!

1971 c10 - ground up in progress

Tripp's Speed Shop Build -
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=589750
Hardesty454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 12:12 AM   #22
raisethedead

Looking good! I like how you are laying out your build. I will be pulling up a seat.
Posted via Mobile Device
raisethedead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 04:33 PM   #23
rou

Post I hope Bruce88's work is not copy protected!

I have been getting some work done but have not been so good at posting updates. I have been stripping down the passenger side panels and doing some body work, pics to follow. Here is my first blatant rippoff of Bruce's build thread found here

My washer pump did not work before I started the build and based on Bruce's work I decided to by a new pump instead of repairing it. While I was at it, an upgrade of the washer nozzles seemed appropriate. Name:  IMG_1061.jpg
Views: 2291
Size:  26.5 KB

I copied the dimensions from Bruce and fired up the rivet nut tool (never even heard of this before, but picked it up in no time) and viola.

Worked like a charm. I will end up painting the brackets next time I have the paint out, but I think it came out almost as good as Bruce, almost.
Attached Images

Old 04-07-2011, 05:39 PM   #24
rou

We are making steady progress on the body work. Soda blasting the panels after chemical stripping seems to be the best way (besides paying someone else to do it!). I am hoping to roll the truck out of the barn this weekend and sand blast the frame and bed floor. We will roll it back in the other bay and complete the passenger side sheet metal and alignment. I am looking forward to some warm weather so we can start spraying Primer etc. Last night we patched up the fuel filler hole in the cab as well as the dash radio hole.

Name:  IMG_1081.jpg
Views: 3885
Size:  35.3 KB Name:  Dash center.jpg
Views: 2758
Size:  47.0 KB
Welded patch pre bondo on left, donor patch from Mt Man Chad before we cut it up on right

Name:  IMG_1083.jpg
Views: 2257
Size:  25.4 KB Name:  IMG_1084.jpg
Views: 2671
Size:  29.6 KB

I am thinking of using Aluma-lead above the fuel filler patch on the B post to cover up the mess the PO made when replacing the roof. Anyone out there have any experience with that product? The bodo used by the PO was about .75" thick and cracked through the paint. I don't want a repeat on this job. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Name:  IMG_0842.jpg
Views: 2166
Size:  43.0 KB
Old 04-07-2011, 06:46 PM   #25
zicc1835

nice real nice bought my 67 late febuary i have been reading a lot of good info from all use guys as we say here in NJ (i have a home in Morris County and have been doing a few minor repairs rear brakes radiator to make her road worthy i bought her in a pick and pull in Sherwood Or. drove her to Eastern LI 2 weeks ago she is in exceptional shape my opinion minimal body rust well anyway thats for my build thread if i get the time to document the way you have..... very nice thread you have, you and your son will have great memories to share for many years maybe we can get a cup of coffee one day ill bring the 67.... us being neighbors and all
Jess
zicc1835 is offline   Reply With Quote