The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-26-2011, 12:02 AM   #26
66-PMD-GMC
The 60-66 GMC/Pontiac guy....

Re: C notched and dropped???

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBTork View Post
hate to beat a dead horse, but I am with this guy
Maybe I just need to go back to school and learn internet educate and how to ask questions in this type of forum......
Yup... this thread sucks...

Only a couple guys figured out what I was asking...
right on to them.

Building Genuine Pontiac Firepowered cars and trucks for several decades.

Why Pontiac?? That's just me daring to be different.

Projects..

63 C10 Short Wheel Base fleetside (The Pro-Street) currently under reconstruction.
440CID 2X4 Pontiac

Last edited by 66-PMD-GMC; 03-26-2011 at 12:04 AM.
66-PMD-GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 12:05 AM   #27
tcb-1
Nothing to see here.....

I installed a "c" notch and "slammed" my truck because I want to be killed quicker in a rear end collision.

just sayin'........

ibtl

THANK YOU to our American Soldiers & Veterans - POW MIA "You will NEVER be forgotten".

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. Thomas Jefferson
tcb-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 12:21 AM   #28
66-PMD-GMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcb-1 View Post
I installed a "c" notch and "slammed" my truck because I want to be killed quicker in a rear end collision.

just sayin'........

ibtl
That is freaking funny....
Dude... seriously...

Projects..

63 C10 Short Wheel Base fleetside (The Pro-Street) currently under reconstruction.
440CID 2X4 Pontiac

Last edited by 66-PMD-GMC; 03-26-2011 at 12:31 AM.
Old 03-26-2011, 12:50 AM   #29
broey
Square

If a c notch is boxed in like it should be (which most are) then its probably the strongest part of the frame. Just because the factory built something a certain way, it doesn't make it the best way. Thats why companies are able to sell performance parts. To improve on factory flaws. My truck lays pinch weld and is just as strong, If not stronger than when it was stock.
Old 03-26-2011, 01:48 AM   #30
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66-PMD-GMC View Post
OK,
I won't quote and I won't comment in a negative way.
Expressing attitude in written form is highly difficult and there are those that perch and wait to jump on people for asking questions.
I don't question anyone's integrity and was unsuccessful in expressing that from the beginning of this thread.
Looking back.... I should have worded it differently.
I could care less about how long anyone has driven low-riders and don't care to update my vocab.. thanks anyway.
I don't know about lowering trucks in this fashion because I have had no interest in this type of vehicle in the past so I never paid any attention to them but now I am curious so....
I will reword this as follows;
It is this........ WHY does the majority of truck lowering projects involve a C-notch?
And as I posted... I saw a Z-NOTCH truck that seems a better way to do it. So WHY do most take the route of the C-notch???? because of limitations of their fabrication skills??? Because C-notching is better than Z-notching and channeling the bed.
What other ways exist that may be better?
And my final question, where better to do RESEARCH on this than with the guys that are doing it on this thread??!!
Please school a 5 decade old guy on this.....
Simple answer? C-notching is quick & easy vs. alternatives.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 03:38 AM   #31
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

I think this is a good thread....lots of "fruit for thought"! I have been around for almost a double nickle(Im 54 yrs old). In my time , I have seen cars jacked up in the front, jacked up in the rear, up on both ends, & running straight axles on the street, & rear tires hangin 6" out past the fender lines! Then low riders... Now we all know that MANY of these old rides probably were not safe enough to be on the street On the lowered cars/trucks, the biggest issues I have seen(static drop), are scrub line issues( I have seen guys that know better), run 6" blocks on a flipped rear axle, with a 15" wheel, or cut coils to lower WAY beyond the limits of the factory front suspension.....or , HEAT & drop the springs(YIKES!). Properly done, lowered vehicles work fine, & drive /handle better than stock....same with notches(again, properly done) no issue. Air ride is another deal.....again properly done, its sweet! I dont see the need to lay my rockers while parked.....& no issues with those that do. BUT, if you lose the air in a bag, you will be playin with scrub lines & slidin down the road on a pc of frame or suspension Have fun, but be safe....crazyL
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 04:19 AM   #32
SBTork
Garage wrench

Quote:
Maybe I just need to go back to school and learn internet educate and how to ask questions in this type of forum......
Yup... this thread sucks...

Only a couple guys figured out what I was asking...
right on to them.
I have no problem with people asking questions but it seems to me like your just going out of your way to "stir the hornets nest". This forum is FULL of reasons why people do what you're asking. Just spend some time looking at other threads and your question would've been answered without all this attention.

As far as this being a good thread, it very well could be. I will retract my previous statement. Nothing wrong with an open forum discussion. I just agree to disagree with your personal preference/viewpoint stated at the start.

90 V1500 GMC Suburban 350/700R4/NP241.....
01 Saturn SL1 stock DD.....

Last edited by SBTork; 03-26-2011 at 04:32 AM. Reason: add more
SBTork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 11:41 AM   #33
62 Bowtie

Quote:
Originally Posted by YBNORML View Post
New title, same old thread. It seems like this one pops up about every month or so.
Posted via Mobile Device
X2 BORING,NEXT
62 Bowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 05:04 PM   #34
kieth

Quote:
Look, I am not bagging on anyone here, just trying to understand.
It seems the largest percentage of people starting threads on this forum are C notching and or dropping their trucks.
I can't personally see the allure but to each his own.
My question is; does everyone here realize the compromise in structural integrity they are making by hacking up the frame like this??
In a rear or side impact these frames will buckle and fold big time.
I recently saw a Z notched truck that was reinforced and built in such a manner that it seemed the more logical way to "slam" a guys truck.
My other question is; is everyone doing this (slamming their trucks) because it improves the looks of the truck and the handling or is it just a fad that the hobby is going through??

To answer the first post I think people c notch their trucks to get it to set lower, I may be notching my truck later for another reason: to get it to set lower but still have a full range of travel. If it takes a c notch , truss, circle truss , etc what I do will depend on what is required to make it safe and have a good ride. Others do it to slam the truck on the ground, like all hobbies there are differing attitudes and styles. I feel your question was presented in a very nice way and do not feel everyone should have ganged up on you. I learned a long time ago to not respond to persons who flame me on a forum, everybody loses so I just ignore it and go on. Hope your truck is coming along and you are getting as much out of this forum as I am.
One surprising thing about this forum, it is very active, and this is because it supports all variations in the form of building older chevrolet pickups. If yo go to other forums you will see that they might be old school or might be more hip and they tend to exclude others who do not share their opinion of what we should be doing to our trucks. You will also notice that they are not as active......there is more going on here than on any 5 other forums......I enjoy it and the divergent views. Kieth
kieth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 05:45 PM   #35
roofingbloke

Hi All. I have done a lot of reasearch on both c notch and both step notch,

I live in the UK and i am going with a step notch and wil also be towing a small caravan (90lbs ball wieght)

I have looked at loads of threads about the scientific points of strength etc etc,

I feel that if the chassis is boxed then the strength id stepped up drematicly,

Am i wrong in thinking thst recent posts indicate that bolt in applications are stronger thsn weld in applications.
roofingbloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 05:51 PM   #36
lakeroadster
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by roofingbloke View Post
Am i wrong in thinking thst recent posts indicate that bolt in applications are stronger thsn weld in applications.
I have yet to see a commercially available bolt in notch that increases original frame strength.

There are numerous commercially available weld in notches/trusses that are as strong or stronger than the original frame.

Read this thread:Frame Notch Based On Strength

Last edited by lakeroadster; 03-26-2011 at 05:55 PM.
lakeroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 07:56 PM   #37
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Ok, so now we are actually having a discussion on the original topic. Thats exactly what I was referring to in my first response regarding researching the topic. Now on to the meat of things.

Why do a C-notch rather than a frame Z? As Scoti mentioned, its a matter of simplicity. You can buy a bolt or weld in notch, and have it installed in a day. Even if you opt to build a small notch it's easy enough to do. The end result is a truck that is lowered as far as your going to get with out sacrificing functionality of the bed.

Did that end result compromise the integrity of the frame at the C notch? In many cases, yes it now has a stress point that is possibly weaker than before it was cut.

Even if you use Johns examples and have gone the extra steps to reinforce the notch to a point that is is structurally as strong, or stronger than before the cut, it is likely that you have created a new "crumple zone". My thoughts are that in the event of a rear impact the frame would fold at that point.

Would it be better to Z the back of the frame and raise the bed floor? That depends on a lot of factors. Starting with materials used, design integrity, and installers skills. If you use tubing that meets or exceeds the OEM frame strength, and a design that utilizes proper structural geometry, you have the potential to have a very strong back half. Of course all that goes out the window if the components are not installed by a competent welder.

In the end, its just a matter of what works best for your build. The average enthusiast is going to buy a prefabbed notch, or build their own from a piece of pipe and some boxing plate and call it good. It might not be the perfect solution, but it has proven to be adequate in most applications.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 08:57 PM   #38
BarnFind

Ive always preferred the c - notch. It is easy and I didnt want to cut up the bed. Ive done the 5/7 drop w/c-notch on my new Chevy trucks since the late 80"s. I towed my boat with them since day one with no problems. As a matter of fact, my brother is still driving my 94 with a c-notch. Granted, Ive never been rear ended so I have no idea how it would score in a crash test but, what street rod out there would.
This may have been a good question 25 plus years ago. "I" have never heard of a failure from a properly installed one. Sean

Last edited by BarnFind; 03-27-2011 at 01:55 PM.
BarnFind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 12:55 AM   #39
66-PMD-GMC

OK, so now that the points have been touched on....
Why not take the rear section of an A body GM... (68-72) GTO, Lemans, Malibu, Skylark etc.. wagon and section that in, boxing the frame while your at it?
You would get the increased travel, 4 link (factory trailing arms) and the frame strength in the end.
Here is a link..
http://image.highperformancepontiac...._GTO+Frame.jpg
Has anyone tried this?

Projects..

440CID 2X4 Pontiac

Last edited by 66-PMD-GMC; 03-27-2011 at 12:56 AM.
Old 03-27-2011, 01:23 AM   #40
SCOTI

Quote:
Why not take the rear section of an A body GM... (68-72) GTO, Lemans, Malibu, Skylark etc.. wagon and section that in, boxing the frame while your at it?
You would get the increased travel, 4 link (factory trailing arms) and the frame strength in the end. Has anyone tried this?
I'm sure someone has tried it just like swapping the GM A/F body front clips into older trucks. I'm not too sure the geometry is better vs. the truck arm set-up or if that design would allow for more rear suspension travel.

IMO, if you're capable of doing that kind of fab work, why use the GM based C4L rear geometry which is compromised @ best? Anyone that has those fab skills would more than likely just build a 'universal' 4-bar (either parallel or triangulated) along w/a rear frame section. Doing so requires a lot more than what a c-notch entails & would take up more time, space, & budget than most care to do.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Last edited by SCOTI; 03-27-2011 at 01:25 AM.
Old 03-27-2011, 08:22 AM   #41
lakeroadster
Account Suspended

Quote:
You would get the increased travel, 4 link (factory trailing arms) and the frame strength in the end.
Here is a link..
http://image.highperformancepontiac...._GTO+Frame.jpg
Has anyone tried this?
I guess "why" would be my question? The stock "Truck arm" suspensions used in our trucks is a great design and it is bullet proof. Did you know that NASCAR used this same suspension design as the basis for it's Cup cars? And there are even kits being sold that replicate the so called Nascar "Truck Arm" for installation in cars: Truck Arm in a Camaro. We have the original, why setlle for less than the best?

In a weekend, with only minimal tools and minimal $$$, a fella can pull the bed off his truck, weld in a notch, rework the upper shock mounts, install new rear lowering springs and be back on the road before Monday morning.

Bottom line, that is what is appealing about notching the existing frame. It's quick and relatively painless from the perspective of $$$.

Last edited by lakeroadster; 03-27-2011 at 03:28 PM.
lakeroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 09:14 PM   #42
Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevencvn72 View Post
I love threads that start with a disclaimer. I would hardly think that over 50 years of lowered cars running around should be called a fad. As stated above, there's a difference between a hack job and a well engineered lowered ride. And personally, I've seen more hack job 4WD trucks that scare me than lowriders. Other things on cars that scare me: Bald tires, no brakes, bumpers falling off, no visability out the back window, Studebakers.... Lets not try and pigeon hole the lowered crowd here.
You just had to through Studebaker's under the buss didn't ya.

Cheap work is never good and good work is never cheap. Lesson = learn to do it all the right way on your own.

SqueegeeMan
Valhalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 02:49 PM   #43
WIDESIDE72

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeroadster View Post
I have never understood why anyone would intentionally build a suspension that when totally aired out -and/or- when a tire goes flat, that the suspension would rub the road. This leaves you with little, if any, control over the steering of the vehicle. I guess I am more of a function drives form kind of guy, with safety taking job one priority when making modifications. Life is to short to trust an air bag or a tire with you or your loved ones life.

Something to think about?

Air bag suspensions aren't intended to be driven aired out at highway speeds. I don't own one but I'm sure there is a disclaimer stating such in any kit/ component.
Posted via Mobile Device
WIDESIDE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:50 PM   #44
ihssalky

I personally went with the c notch. I know that i gave up rear impact strength. Its easy to see because the frame is no longer strait. Really is this a bad thing? Vehicles made today are made in such a way to absorb impact and sustain damage to keep the passengers safe. A c notch can work the same way. It is far enough behind the passengers to still be safe when crushed. I looked at more bracing to stiffen the notch, and i have helped its strength. I believe that a z frame might be a hazzard. When using a z you have to alter the frame in the front and rear. This makes for two weak points. With a drop front suspension vs a z you keep the frame intact. Basically for the same reason a rear frame alteration is bad, so is a front one. The front one is closer to the passengers so it could be potentially worse in a crash if it were to fail at the weld /z joint.
I think that one problem you see alot is rear tank conversions. It is in that impact zone. I have elected to move mine in fromt of the notch in the front of the bed. This seems to be forward of any crush area in a strait frame area and still out of the cab.
Posted via Mobile Device
ihssalky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:10 AM   #45
INSIDIOUS '86

"Just to get you started on the right path, a lowered truck that is not equipped with a hydraulic suspension hasn't been called a "Lowrider" in a few decades, so please adjust your terminology accordingly."

Scotti!
Posted via Mobile Device
377 sbc thumpr cam autogear m23 muncie 3:73 Detroit trutrac
3''spintech prostreet mufflers xpipe 1 3/4 headers
build thread !http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=577217
Iroc gauge threadhttp://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=554511
INSIDIOUS '86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 01:03 PM   #46
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by INSIDIOUS '86 View Post
"Just to get you started on the right path, a lowered truck that is not equipped with a hydraulic suspension hasn't been called a "Lowrider" in a few decades, so please adjust your terminology accordingly."

Scotti!
Posted via Mobile Device
??
Did I miss something?
Posted via Mobile Device
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 02-10-2013, 09:00 PM   #47
CC69Rat

My CNotch has 17 grade 8 bolts in it. It is plated on all 4 sides, and bolted on 3. IMO, it's stronger now than before it was cut. Just sayin .. With the right parts, I think it actually gives it strength. I havent regretted mine for a minute.. it's your truck, I say it's your decision.

1967 C10 SWB - Project Savannah - 6.0/4L80 *Currently underway*
1968 C10 SWB - TOTY 2018, 50th Anniversary Tribute Project * Sold * Pride and Joy
1986 Silverado Short Fleet - Scarlet *Sold*
1985 Silverado Short Fleet *Sold*
2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
2001 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted, Built
1992 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted
2013 Honda Accord EX-L v6 Coupe 6spd (wife's ride)
CC69Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:35 PM   #48
66-PMD-GMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC69Rat View Post
My CNotch has 17 grade 8 bolts in it. It is plated on all 4 sides, and bolted on 3. IMO, it's stronger now than before it was cut. Just sayin .. With the right parts, I think it actually gives it strength. I havent regretted mine for a minute.. it's your truck, I say it's your decision.
I have done tons of reading and digging through the internet since starting this thread and I have found several things that I did not know.
As a car and truck builder/fabricator I am always interested in what is going on in the hobby.
1- To get the kind of ride height that many builders are going for, a simple "C-notch" doesn't come close to giving the builder enough clearance for them to "lay frame".

2- The tire wheel combinations used by some builders not only require the rear frame to be altered, they also require a pretty expensive "drop member" and front suspension to "lay out" the front end.

3-The inner wheel wells become useless and need to be highly modified to be used at all. I have seen trucks that the tires are an inch away from the hood.

4-After rereading my #1 post in this thread, I can see that I come off pretty arrogant and abrasive..
Sorry about that
Not my intension at all, I was simply trying to find out how the frame alterations being done, are being done and making the statement that a few that I have seen look pretty unsafe.... That is not to say all are, just some that I have seen.

I am still not into the big wheel look on the 60-66 trucks and the cool thing is I don't need to be..
I do respect what others do to their trucks and hope they respect what I do with mine.
Just setting the record straight.
Also, for anyone who might care. I have been working on a hidden roll cage for my pro-street truck, that incorporates an altered rear frame with a cage in the bed under a fiberglass bed cover and a roll cage in the cab that does not have the support links that go from the main hoop back to the frame.
What I have been designing could be used to reinforce the rear frame AND supply a platform for a raised bed floor.
I definately don't want that 4X4 roll bar look so that is why I have gone to such great trouble to develope something and also a reason I was/am interested in how builders are nothching frames..

Projects..

440CID 2X4 Pontiac
Old 07-03-2013, 03:20 PM   #49
ChefCy

i want to see the cage in the bed