The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-25-2011, 01:05 AM   #26
cajundragger

Re: Best IFS set-up for 56 Chevy Pickup front?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuel68 View Post
Does anyone know about this truck and the front suspension on it? I can't imagine a 56 frame wouldn't be stronger than today's 1/2 ton frames.

http://www.dieselpowermag.com/featur...ram/index.html
its not. a '56 frame will give and deflect much more than a frame from a newer truck.

if you really want a diesel look at something smaller or something like a duramax with aluminum heads.
cajundragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 02:09 AM   #27
andrewmp6

I hate to say it but i would take a 12 valve cummins or 7.3 powerstroke over the duramax.But no matter if your going to use a engine that weights what a diesel does make sure the frame can handle the weight.I would also look in to a 99 ford super duty frame or even a dodge something 1ton at least.If you want a 4x4 stay away from the ifs 4x4s gm made they break off road.

Last edited by andrewmp6; 04-25-2011 at 02:12 AM.
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 09:03 PM   #28
cajundragger

I only offer up the duramax because it is the lightest weight. I'd never want to get into a debate of why it is the most superior diesel on the market on this board as I'd be banned quickly when others' ignorance is posted.
cajundragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 08:28 PM   #29
fuel68

I just cant get into a Duramax or P-Stroke- don't want an electronic engine anyway... mechanical 12 valve is much easier and makes stupid power/torque.

A guy on another forum has a 12 valve with a powerglide in an s-10 with QA-1 coilovers and 500lb springs...after a few months of driving its good so far he says. Also, Indy Cylinder head just released a aluminum 12 valve head which would drop the weight some.

Would I be better off to buy a 68-74 nova clip or 70+ camaro for strength?

Keep the info coming guys, I'm basically new to these trucks!!!

Last edited by fuel68; 04-26-2011 at 08:28 PM.
fuel68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 12:04 AM   #30
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuel68 View Post

Would I be better off to buy a 68-74 nova clip or 70+ camaro for strength?

Keep the info coming guys, I'm basically new to these trucks!!!
That would be going backwards. Truck spec'd parts would be better/more HD.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 05:14 AM   #31
andrewmp6

The weight of that cummins i would be looking in to a new frame for it.Either one custom made or something from a 1ton pickup and put your body over it.Your looking at adding 1200lbs to your truck i won't trust the frame under it now to hold that weight.If your heart is set on keeping the stock frame its gonna take boxing it and some bracing then weld in a ifs kit and probably 4 link the rear.
Old 04-27-2011, 03:35 PM   #32
fuel68

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewmp6 View Post
The weight of that cummins i would be looking in to a new frame for it.Either one custom made or something from a 1ton pickup and put your body over it.Your looking at adding 1200lbs to your truck i won't trust the frame under it now to hold that weight.If your heart is set on keeping the stock frame its gonna take boxing it and some bracing then weld in a ifs kit and probably 4 link the rear.
I have a 56 3/4 ton I was thinking about using. Plans were to box it all in, weld in IFS, heavy springs up front and custom rear setup. I am going this weekend to talk with my chassis guy who's doing my race car and see what his thoughts are also.
Old 04-28-2011, 06:24 AM   #33
andrewmp6

That should work also see how long the cummins is vs your stock inline 6 for clearance.
Old 04-28-2011, 09:17 AM   #34
Tony@AirRideTech

I will post on this subject because it is something I.... well.... I can... I would strongly recommend not doing the A, F, or X body front clip swap and here is why.
A. Even if you found one that was worth installing you are going to have to completely rebuild the front clip to even make it road worthy which is going to put you back up there in price.
B. After all of the work in locating, rebuilding, cleaning and painting... you are now going to have more work in properly aligning and installing this piece because when GM engineered that front crossmember they had no plans of it being installed in a truck... and a properly engineered front crossmember will go in much easier AND come with new components.
C I spend more time diagnosing install issues with improperly installed front clips than I do any other issues.
D The front suspension geometry on the first gen F body and A body actually suck and the front clips have to be modified to even make them roadworthy for average handling. The ford twin I beam being the worst, I would probably classify the A,F body within the top five best boat anchors out there.
Tony@AirRideTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 01:08 AM   #35
fuel68

Thanks for the info on the frames out there. I didn't want to clip it, and now I really don't like the idea. My chassis guy is gonna put some figures down this weekend so hopefully we will figure it all out. I will have pics up tomorrow of the beginning of the build hopefully! Keep anymore info coming!!!
Old 04-29-2011, 02:06 AM   #36
andrewmp6

Just make sure you get front springs to hold the weight of that cummins and i would run 12 inch disc 4 piston calipers to help stop it or bigger depends what rims you want to run in the end.Have you looked in to the cummins 4bt its basicly a 5.9 they cut two cylinders off.Most the big box trucks like ups fedex etc uses and uses a gm trans i believe.The 4bt weights 745lbs 130hp but 355 foot pounds of torque,And it can be modded for more power if you want it.
Old 05-06-2011, 08:44 PM   #37
fuel68

Ok so I didn't make it to the chassis shop last weekend, but going tomorrow. Here is another option that came to be this week. Dad secured a insanely clean 82 one ton cab and frame. He is just using the cab so I am thinking about putting 56 sheetmetal on it and switching the front out to 5 lug front with heavy springs for the Cummins.

Back will probably be 4-link/ladder bars with some bigger wheels/tires. I know they are wider than 55-59 but with custom a-arms and backspacing the front wheels shouldn't be too hard.

Thoughts?
Old 05-07-2011, 06:42 AM   #38
andrewmp6

That could work but while its a frame i would box it good its easier to do now then later.To get that cummins in there http://www.destroked.com/parts.shtml or http://www.autoworldmt.com/Page_11.html both carry about everything you need.Do you want a auto or a stick?
Old 05-08-2011, 03:17 PM   #39
fuel68

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewmp6 View Post
That could work but while its a frame i would box it good its easier to do now then later.To get that cummins in there http://www.destroked.com/parts.shtml or http://www.autoworldmt.com/Page_11.html both carry about everything you need.Do you want a auto or a stick?
I have been looking on those two sites and they do have a ton of stuff! I am going with an auto. I've shifted enough gears in my life! LOL
Old 05-08-2011, 03:19 PM   #40
fuel68

How much wider is the front axle on a 73-87 than the 56? I haven't had a chance to measure yet.
Old 05-10-2011, 02:12 AM   #41
andrewmp6

Auto trans i would be look at a beefed up 4l80e or a allison trans or a ford 4r100 beefed up.If the truck is already a 14 bolt rear end then you are set but changing it to a 5 lug might be fun.