The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-12-2014, 10:34 PM   #1
Vandals909

Pro Touring C10, No Limit v Ridetech v PB v Hotchkiss

Looking to purchase new suspension for my truck and goal is to have great handling and ride quality. I would like it low, but not so low that I need to raise the bed floor (if possible). Also would like to do front and rear disc.

Looking at kits from:

No Limit Wide Ride Chassis Pack: Includes cross member, arms, rack and pinion, front sway bar, 12" front disc setup and 4 link rear fat bar and ridetech coil over shocks (not sure if it is worth the extra $ to go with the better ridetech triple adjustable shocks?).

Porterbuilt - Looking at protouring drop member, narrow a-arms setup with ridetech coil overs, power steering rack setup, sway bar and finally rear trailing arm setup with coil overs and pan hard bar.

Ridetech- CoilOver Suspension - Level 3- The package contains front upper and lower control-arms, redesigned upper control arm / CoilOver mount, lowering spindles, tie rod adjusters, front and rear MUSCLEbar, rear StrongArm system, and 4 triple adjustable coil-overs.

All of these kits I sure have pro's and con's. All three vendors from my understanding are very reputable. I do not want to list the prices I was quoted but all of them are within 1k or $1,500 of each other.

Looking for opinions from guys who have either driven or have experience with any of these setup? Want something that handles great and has good ride quality, appears coil overs are what I'm looking for. If I left out some other vendors I apologize, who else makes what I'm looking for?

Thank you!
Vandals909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 11:26 PM   #2
Vandals909

Re: Pro Touring C10, No Limit v Ridetech v PB v Hotchkiss

Also open to mixing components like No limit wide ride front with Porter built rear coil over rear trailing arm setup.

Also I forgot to mention, I live about 15 or 20 minutes from No Limit , so them being close is a plus.
Old 03-12-2014, 11:49 PM   #3
jmedero

Scott's has a coil over units as well. I have the super slam kit front and rear and really like it. Trey also are in so cal.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:40 AM   #4
Vandals909

I plan to run an LS engine and a 4l or 6l transmission. Not sure if one of the companies front end kits work better with this setup?
Old 03-13-2014, 03:18 PM   #5
SCOTI

For real 'Pro-Touring' w/o cutting up the bed floor & using bolt-in components: No Limits, Hotchkis, Ride Tech, or Global West (developed for this purpose).

Porterbuilt will get you down that low as well & have much better geometry vs OE as would Scott's.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 04:30 PM   #6
Number98
Prestige Worldwide

I would go with this:

http://roadstershop.com/chassis/1967-72-c-10/
Attached Images

Number98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 04:48 PM   #7
JointTech

half those guys are board vendors so these topics are delicate
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=604920
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=442400
JointTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 08:48 PM   #8
slowcpe

I was/am in the same boat as you. I even debated between the coilover/air bag setup. Here's my take based on my research between the 3 you mentioned. As far as I know, all three are great companies and make a great product. Most of my opinion is based off of a lot of reading and no real-world experience. So take it for what its worth (most people that know me will say that's very little).

No Limit. I honestly didn't look real hard into them and probably should have. I know they are flat-out tearing it up on the road course. I only really looked into their rack and pinion setup as I'm familiar with it due to my Mustang days and don't really like the steering setup on our trucks. They may have the upper hand on handling. Again I didn't research their suspension that much other than I know they seem to like Ride Tech.

Porterbuilt. This is the route I decided on. I'm building my suspension in stages and they seemed to be the best bang for the buck. PB got me seriously looking into the advantages of a front dropmember. The big factors for me with them are: you will be VERY hard-pressed to find someone to speak ill of their product and service and their front dropmember comes setup for your specific engine/trans combo and rack and pinion steering. I've had nothing but the best experience dealing with them, Dave has been great putting up with my endless questions, and their product looks incredible. I blame them for the reason I ditched my other truck and bout my current one The verdict is still out on the how the truck rides and handles personally as my suspension is laying in the bed of the truck. You don't really see anyone running their kits on the road course (or at least I haven't) but everyone raves about ease of installation and ride quality.

Ridetech. I really looked hard into their kit seeing that they are about an hour away from my house and have the most name recognition. I like to deal local. I even took a trip up there one day, toured the shop, and took a ride in Gumby; their '71 shop truck. Gumby I believe had the full Shockwave kit. I was amazed how well the truck handled and rode. At the end of the day I couldn't justify the additional cost and again I go back to the reputation of Porterbuilt. I still may use their air management setup but I still haven't decided.
1967/71 Blue SWB C10..SOLD
1977 SWB K10..my grandpa's.....never should have sold
slowcpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 01:30 AM   #9
Vandals909

Are you able to use the stock inner fender wheel with any of these kits?
Old 03-14-2014, 08:23 AM   #10
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandals909 View Post
Are you able to use the stock inner fender wheel with any of these kits?
Stock inner fenders work well w/a 4/6 drop & 28" tall tires. Start exceeding that drop & the tires start buzzing up front. The choices are different front tubs or shorter tire. Hills Rod & Custom (http://www.hillsrodandcustom.com/) & SloshTubz offer replacement front wheel tubs that allow more room if required.

In the rear, the bed floor becomes an issue before the wheel tubs but OE tubs do limit tire width (approx 10" wheel & 295mm tire).

There are always exceptions....
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 11:31 AM   #11
theastronaut

From what I've read (no personal experience) when researching options for my '66 C10, No Limit or Hotchkis will have more grip at the track. I'd personally go with No Limit.

No Limit's WideRide comes with a rack and pinion and LS mounts are available. Probably a good bit less weight too since just the rack will be about 25-30 pounds lighter than the factory steering parts, plus the crossmember should be less weight than the factory crossmember. They use a taller spindle (better geometry) and their Impala bases disc kits are extremely effective while being relatively inexpensive. The crossmember raises the inner A-arm pivots quite a bit for more ground clearance.

Hotchkis makes what is probably the best suspension package that goes on the factory crossmember. You'll probably want to upgrade the steering box since the Hotchkis kit keeps the factory style steering; they do include a redesigned center steering bar to fix bumpsteer. You'll need to come up with your own brakes, where No Linit has already figured out what works. You'll also still have lower A-arm ground clearance issues unless you section or raise the factory crossmember. Compare adding the cost of an upgraded steering box and upgraded brakes to match what comes with No Linit's WideRide.

Last edited by theastronaut; 03-16-2014 at 11:36 AM.
theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 03:46 PM   #12
Chvy2NV

Any updates on this matter. I'm currently going through the same thing
Chvy2NV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 07:08 PM   #13
Dan@Hotchkis

We spent a lot of time developing and designing our kit to be a bolt on application and for most of the components to be done as a complete kit or piece by piece. One of the best aspects of designing the suspension for a C-10 was there was so much space that it allowed a bit of a "clean slate" approach as opposed to the space constraints of smaller cars. One aspect about our kit over most of the others is the level of tuning that we put into our shock program as well. If anyone has any questions you'd like to get into detail I'd be happy to help!
Dan@Hotchkis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 10:14 AM   #14
CHRIS67GMC

Bottom line if you want to run up front No-Limit with Ridetech Triples. Look at the results. You can run 315-30-18 all the way around.

Ps No-Limit moved to Tn
CHRIS67GMC is offline   Reply With Quote