The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical > Truck Audio

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-05-2010, 10:49 PM   #1
bigbadchev72
People know me

What are my options on a hidden stereo?

I have the factory am radio in the dash and really like it. I have really been wanting some tunes to drive around with, So I got to thinking about hooking my Ipod up to the inputs of an amp. I dont know what to do about speakers though. Dont really want to cut the doors and still have the tank behind the seat.

I dont really like the looks of the speaker kick panels either. What have you guys done and does it sound decent?
1972 k/5 blazer CST 4X4 Crate 350, th350/205, dana44with trac-loc/14 bolt with detroit locker, 4 wheel discs 4.56s, 8" suspension lift using 73-87springs, 1" zerorate custom front crossmember, HAD CV drivelines and driveshaft e-brake, full cage, PRP seats, Full autometer gauges, 38x14.5x16 Toyo M/Ts, 16x10 Polished aluminum rockcrusher wheels

1967 longbox 4x4, Strong 400/400/208, 44/12bolt 4.10s, 6" lift, 35" Toyo M/Ts on corvette rally wheels
bigbadchev72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 10:54 PM   #2
RemingtonSteel

Re: What are my options on a hidden stereo?

in the glove box is always a good spot to hide a deck could also put it under the seat. hooking up an ipod directly to a amp works well but you will not have all the adjustments to tune your music. there are 6x9 spearker pods that you can buy and put behind the seat they should fit on each side of the gas tank. also the 6 1/2 speaker kick pannels look really good and have a factory clean look to them hope that helps
Old 08-05-2010, 11:52 PM   #3
heeroyue2002
fat old dude

my friend has the 6 1/2 kick panels. they look great
heeroyue2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 12:15 AM   #4
RemingtonSteel

yeah im thinking about adding a set to my truck for some more hi's
Old 08-06-2010, 12:25 AM   #5
AirSpeed

I went ahead and cut the dash to fit a CD player in it, I didnt see any reason not to, it's not like I was cutting up an old Ferrari. I mounted 3 amps in the area behind the passenger side of the seat, against the rear of the cab in the hollow area next to the gas tank. I mounted the amps to a piece of 3/4 particle board that I painted flat black, wired them all up so I could just slide it in as one unit and remove for any kind of work. I mounted two ten inch subs under the seat in sealed boxes, I didnt want to use shallow subs so I made the boxes as shallow as possible by cutting a hole in the rear panel so the magnet would fit inside the rear panel, I sealed the area around the magnet and the rear panel with some closed cell foam. My door panels had already been cut for some six inch drivers so I went ahead and mounted a pair of mid range drivers in there, I first made a small sealed cabinet out of the bottom of a plastic antifreeze jug, It was a quick and easy solution!(I wouldnt use a jug for any low freq drivers) I used the bottom half of the jug so it would fit tight and hold it'self in place. I folded the jug up and slid it through the hole and unfolded it once it was in place. I then used a 12" square piece of acoustic foam to fill the area, it dampens the mid range perfectly. The jug also prevents moisture from getting to the driver.
I bought a pair of surface mounted tweeters and attached them to the area just above the air conditioner vents with some double sided tape. I couldnt get myself to mount them with a screw through my fresh paint. To control all the amps and drivers I used an under dash preamp/crossover that has three RCA inputs and outputs wired between the head unit and amps.
All this turned out to be the nicest sounding stereo I have installed in a long time.
AirSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 12:43 AM   #6
RemingtonSteel

i have to agree it does not look bad at all to put a newer deck in the place of the original and takes very little work.
heres a pic

also i know this is extream for what you want but my 6x9s are about where you would put them on each side of the gas tank to give you an idea.