The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-06-2009, 09:28 PM   #1
K2Orion

Ignition Cylinder help

I found a few other posts on this topic but none answered my question and I figured I should post it rather than hijack another thread.
My cylinder is worn out. I can remove the key regardless of its position. The key must be wiggled and jiggled to find the "sweet spot" before it can be turned. I'm sure the one and only well worn key I have is a copy of a copy and is a big part of the problem. I would just replace the cylinder with a new one from a parts store but this is the original and the key still operates the doors as well.
So is there a way to tighten up the cylinder? Or get a replacement cylinder and have it re-keyed to match the doors?
K2Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 10:06 PM   #2
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: Ignition Cylinder help

Quote:
Originally Posted by K2Orion View Post
I found a few other posts on this topic but none answered my question and I figured I should post it rather than hijack another thread.
My cylinder is worn out. I can remove the key regardless of its position. The key must be wiggled and jiggled to find the "sweet spot" before it can be turned. I'm sure the one and only well worn key I have is a copy of a copy and is a big part of the problem. I would just replace the cylinder with a new one from a parts store but this is the original and the key still operates the doors as well.
So is there a way to tighten up the cylinder? Or get a replacement cylinder and have it re-keyed to match the doors?

I can do either one of those, put new tumblers in the cylinder you have or change a new cylinder to match your key. I would bet that the main problem is that your key is worn to the point that it is not raising the tumblers in the lock high enough to let it turn correctly. If you want to send me your ignition cylinder and key I can fix it. The cost would be about 10 bucks. If you are interested PM me.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 10:08 PM   #3
hayhauler71

Take the lock cylinder out and bring it to a locksmith. If possible bring a lock from door or glove box.
hayhauler71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 10:10 PM   #4
K2Orion

Lockdoc, I'll send a pm.
K2Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 10:12 PM   #5
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayhauler71 View Post
Take the lock cylinder out and bring it to a locksmith. If possible bring a lock from door or glove box.
Very few of our trucks have locking glove box latches. If he was going to take a door lock the one from the passengers door would be best. It would have the code number on it.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote