The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Info Center > FAQ Truck Tech > Paint and Bodywork > Sheetmetal and Fab

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-04-2011, 03:50 AM   #1
Jeffs70

Shaving Rain Gutters/Drip Rails

I Know I have seen quit a few people asking how to Shave the Rain Gutters/Drip Rails.
So I figured while I do mine I will take Pictures and give more info on how I am going to go about doing this. Hope this info does go to good use for someone.

First of all You will need these Required Tools:
Safety Glasses
Welder
Grinder
Grinding Sandpaper Wheel
Sheet Metal
Sheet Metal Cutters
Always nice to have a Magnet
Sawzall or Angle Die Grinder with Cutting Wheel Or use a Cutting Wheel on your Angle Grinder.

Name:  NeededToolGrinder.jpg
Views: 4404
Size:  74.6 KB

Name:  NeededTools2.jpg
Views: 4243
Size:  22.9 KB

Name:  DieGrinderWithCuttingWheel.jpg
Views: 5338
Size:  14.4 KB

Name:  Sawzall.jpg
Views: 4164
Size:  13.1 KB

Name:  Sandpaper GrindingDisc.jpg
Views: 5155
Size:  34.0 KB

Step #1.
If You have your Windshield and Rubber Seal still in your Truck you should Protect it/Cover it before starting this project Unless your replacing them like I am before this truck is finished.
Old 03-04-2011, 04:01 AM   #2
Jeffs70

Re: Shaving Rain Gutters/Drip Rails

Step #2
Cut the Rain Gutter/Drip Rail from the top down around an Inch in Length at a Time.
Cutting to much can cause the roof to flex and move out of its original place.
Be careful not to cut to close to the roof till you get a visual of what your working with and how you want it to look. some people have different tastes how they wish theirs to look so mine may not be the look you desire.
Name:  ShavingPart1.jpg
Views: 5373
Size:  26.2 KB

Step #3
After Cutting the Rain Gutter/Drip Rail off take your grinder with your Grinding Sandpaper Wheel (Disc) if needing to grind alot of the rail still off to get closer to the roof and grind away till your happy.
Name:  ShavingPart2.jpg
Views: 4492
Size:  29.8 KB

Step #4
Cut some Small pieces of Sheet metal to fit in the bare area where needed (Good Place to use your Magnet to hold the small Sheet Metal Pieces in Place) and Tack weld them in. Other Helpful Tips and Info in Step #5

Notice the Big Gap with no Sheet Metal in the Picture - This is where you will Add Sheet Metal If going the way I am with my Shaved style
Name:  ShavingPart3.jpg
Views: 7124
Size:  34.3 KB

Step #5
Weld each side of where you have cut off the Rain Gutter/Drip Rail to keep it secure and not allow the roof to move or flex at all.
Remember do not weld to much in one area. you want to just tack weld it up (one touch at a time in each spot) if you heat the metal up to much you will warp the sheet metal. each time you Tack weld it move to the next spot far enough away. Knowing when to quit and take a break inbetween is a good thing. (See Picture 1)

Step #6
Sand down the welds smoothly with your Grinding Sandpaper Wheel(Disc). Do not use a Hard Grinding Disc also Do not sand to much of the Sheet Metal. Dont allow the Sheet Metal to turn Blue. That is what Causes it to Warp
Name:  ShavingPart4.jpg
Views: 3973
Size:  32.3 KB
Name:  ShavingPart7.jpg
Views: 4127
Size:  28.7 KB
Old 03-04-2011, 04:05 AM   #3
Jeffs70

Re: Shaving Rain Gutters/Drip Rails

Here is the Passenger Side View of the Drip Rail with Primer
Name:  SideviewShavedDripRails.jpg
Views: 7615