The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-29-2011, 08:10 PM   #1
tomfg

Gasohol

Just wondering how many of you are running Gasohol in your rigs, and if you're having any troubles, or performance issues.
For those running Gasohol, did you make any changes so you could run it, i.e., different carburetors, hoses, etc.

Non-Oxegenated gas, in the "super" or high test is still available here, at a much higher cost, of course.

Wondering if I can get by using Gasohol if needed, or blend some Gasohol with Non-oxegenated to save some money?

Thanks for your input.
tomfg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 08:46 PM   #2
HEI451
Account Suspended

Re: Gasohol

You are lucky to have straight gas where you are, we just went from 10 percent to 15 percent ethanol. Not good.
HEI451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 09:17 PM   #3
Indian113

we still have 10% here and I run it in the 64 and in my hot rod S10 but I try not to let it get to old.
It has a higher octane than regular not much just a little. They say it's better in the winter because of the ethanol-that could be BULL though
Indian113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 09:39 PM   #4
gimmy 64

we have had ethanol in our gas for many years and i have never had a problem with any of my cars. old or new
gimmy 64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 09:33 AM   #5
fleetsidelarry
Senior Car Nut

there are people that don't have problems and people that do. there are several problems with ethanol in gas, the biggest of which in my area of high humidity is the afinity of alcohol for water. my friend and I have installed canister-type marine fuel-water separators on our older vehicles, even though we do have a source of "regular" octane non-alcohol gas.

and remember, higher octane does not translate into higher energy. ethanol has less energy available per gallon than straight gasoline, which is why you get fewer MPG.

Oil companies recieve a per gallon subsidy of our tax money (corporate "welfare") to add ethanol to their gas. what a scam
Old 11-30-2011, 09:37 AM   #6
kieth

I only run unleaded non alcohol fuel, here in Tulsa it is only 10 cents per gallon more than alcohol fuels $2.99 vs $ 3.09 per gallon if I cannot find this I run premium unleaded to fill in with.......Kieth Older vehicles and their systems were not designed to run alcohol and alcohol does attract water. Kieth
kieth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 11:06 AM   #7
tomfg

I haven't had to use any "Isopropal" additive in my modern vehicles using Gasohol here in the great North. Strange thing is, we use to add it all the time in the winter in the old days running regular, "non-alcohol" gas.

Does the ethanol in Gasohol absorb water, but keep it from freezing,
and pass it thru the system??
tomfg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 12:51 PM   #8
HEI451
Account Suspended

We have the moisture issue with iot here, tears up the fuel systems pretty bad. Our water has a lot of alkali in it, and when that gets into the atmosphere, and into the fuel, it isn't nice at all.
HEI451 is offline   Reply With Quote