The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-24-2019, 11:16 PM   #1
grubsster

Help with rust control

Hello all,

I am looking for some help trying to control the rust on the cab of this truck. Not restoring it right now but want to use it as a work truck. I'm concerned about rust through above the windshield and the drip rail mostly. As of now there are no holes.

Any help is appreciated.
Attached Images

grubsster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 07:49 AM   #2
The Rocknrod

Re: Help with rust control

When they say rust never sleeps it's true, even clean metal wants to go back home to mama. I've seen guys use CLR on their trucks to start and then clear coat it, but that's for looks. You could start there (CLR) to see what you have, then wire wheel the bad spots till you get white metal. Coat with POR-15 or Rust Bullet and then top coat. That would be a start until your ready to cut the bad metal out and repair the areas. That would obviously be the right thing to do. The other problem is the rust you don't see, like under the window rubber, in the A pillar post and door sill...

Last edited by The Rocknrod; 01-25-2019 at 08:00 AM.
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 03:10 PM   #3
rws1012

Wonder if he could wire brush the loose rust and then treat with Ospho then a coat of primer or paint that matches the truck? Just a thought.
rws1012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 03:44 PM   #4
grubsster

Thanks for the replies. I like the ospho idea. I am going to get the windshield replaced and will treat that area then. Any other ideas are appreciated.
grubsster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 01:25 PM   #5
joesscamaro

For a quick simple temporary fix, I would recommend ospho and some epoxy. Ospho is pretty good stuff.
joesscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 04:47 PM   #6
franken

Unless you immerse the part in some product such as Ospho (phosphoric acid), or use a pump to sparay it on to keep the product working for hours, all it will do is turn the surface rust black. You can then sand the area to expose more rust. Fake solution.
The only real solution is to remove the gutter seam sealer, blast the area to clean metal, then prep, paint, seam seal, etc. in the order you prefer.
All other solutions are bandaids that will fail.
franken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 02:48 AM   #7
WOLFMANmike

what about wire wheel the loose rust off and then do a Por15 and fiberglass patch job fallowed up with some primer and then some paint over it i did that to fix my floor board as a temp fix till i can do it right with a new floor pan later when i learn to weld and buy a welder and let me tell you the fiberglass and Por15 kit they have i used its as hard and strong as the metal it self i was very impressed just a thought
WOLFMANmike is offline   Reply With Quote