The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-21-2010, 09:07 PM   #1
LEEVON

Re: Project: Recycle

SCOTI, did you cut that bed down or just using that frame?
Old 01-22-2010, 01:50 AM   #2
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEEVON View Post
SCOTI, did you cut that bed down or just using that frame?
The frame was a 68 lwb that I shortened & cut up for the 64 swb body. I've learned over the years of 'not yet completed' projects to not take anything apart until I'm 100% ready to immediately put it back together (some guys can; I can't). Building the replacement rolling chassis also allows me to get some cool photos of the naked drivetrain & chassis (to show off the work that the 45yr old body will be covering up).

If you're asking specifically about the bed floor, it was part of a package deal from an old board member here in Dallas. I bought the entire short fleet bed @ a good price but only wanted the tailgate & steel floor. I re-sold the fleet tubs to FirstGen; the bedsides, front panel, & tailgate to n2billet, & kept the floor for free .
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 10:53 AM   #3
LEEVON

Ahhh, now I understand. I'm the same way about getting everything ready and not stretching it out. I've been looking at bare chassis to build and worry about the truck later.

This thing is gonna be sweet!
Old 01-25-2010, 03:40 PM   #4
aggie91
I'm just glad to be here!

I missed this one last week I guess...Great write up. Looking forward to more on this one.

Looks Great!

1965 Chevy Stepside(Grandpa's Old Blue) and (July 2015 Shop Build!)(2020, the Saga Continues)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=372424

The LST Challenge:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post7812257

Korbin's 1st Square: "Sunburn"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=418618

1985 GMC Sierra: "White Trash", Korbin's 2nd now...
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=632305

Henry - 1984 Chevrolet, Owen's 1st Square
aggie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 12:49 AM   #5
SCOTI

Not too much from this weekend. I finished welding in the support gussets for the 'inside' leg of the upper shock mount. Since the shocks are 'clocked' when installed, the bolts closest to the frame are close enough to the center of the c.member that they didn't need reinforcement; the bolts closer to the differential pumpkin are farther away from the c.member so I felt it would be best to add some additional support. The plate is 3/16" as are the gussets....
Attached Images

99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 01-26-2010, 12:59 AM   #6
SCOTI

I also got the gas tank inlet 'patch' & fill nipple ready for welding. I made a template from notebook paper pressed into the depression where the original small blazer inlet nipple was (I cut the original smaller inlet out). I transferred the paper template to poster-board trimming & fitting it as close as possible. I then transferred it again to a piece of 16ga stainless sheet. I hogged the center out on the SS patch to allow the inlet tube to be inserted so it can be welded inside & out.

This will allow the fuel to enter through a stock 2.25" 68 inlet neck (cut off of a 68 in-cab fuel tank) & then transition to a 2" stainless inlet pipe to the tank. I'll route the .500" vent line back up to the 2.25" portion of the inlet neck for maximum venting & tie the remaining 2 vent ports from the tank into a breather....
Attached Images

99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Last edited by SCOTI; 01-26-2010 at 01:03 AM.
Old 01-29-2010, 01:17 AM   #7
SCOTI

A little more progress.... I worked on the bed floor to allow the fuel fill line to 'poke' through for easy, simple access for filling the blazer tank. I know many guys opt for an aftermarket flush mount cap or some sort of OE flip-up gas door assembly, but I wanted to keep it simple.

I cut out the floor 'runner' that's closest to the drivers rear corner of the bed/tailgate area to allow for a flat surface....
Attached Images

99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG