The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-03-2021, 12:27 AM   #1
REDROCKER652002

Front brake issue

A little background My son's truck is a 69 C10. After dealing with brake issues, we determined that the disc setup was from a 72 1/2 ton. Got it all worked out and new rotors, pads, bearings and lines. He just sent me a text to say he blew a bearing on the drivers side. He probably jacked up the spindle as well because he drove it home (about 2 blocks). I have not even looked at it yet as I am at work. We had the front end aligned and all seemed ok there, with the exception of new upper ball joints that were replaced. It could very well be that either he or I put the castle nut on too tight and that is the issue, but for now I am going to assume he is going to at least need new spindles. I don't have much info on the spindles that are in there, but it appears the truck is dropped by about 2 inches.

So, my question is, assuming he is going to need new spindles, where would be a good place to get them? Junk yards are probably out as I am not the type to rummage thru them if I can buy new. Or would it be better to get a whole new front setup that way we know what we have and it is all new? This is going to be a good time for me to suggest a front sway bar as well since we will have it on blocks for a bit while we get whatever he needs.

Any input on where to purchase items would be much appreciated.

RR
REDROCKER652002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 01:59 AM   #2
RustyPile

Re: Front brake issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDROCKER652002 View Post
A little background My son's truck is a 69 C10. After dealing with brake issues, we determined that the disc setup was from a 72 1/2 ton. Got it all worked out and new rotors, pads, bearings and lines. He just sent me a text to say he blew a bearing on the drivers side. He probably jacked up the spindle as well because he drove it home (about 2 blocks). I have not even looked at it yet as I am at work. We had the front end aligned and all seemed ok there, with the exception of new upper ball joints that were replaced. It could very well be that either he or I put the castle nut on too tight and that is the issue, but for now I am going to assume he is going to at least need new spindles. I don't have much info on the spindles that are in there, but it appears the truck is dropped by about 2 inches.

So, my question is, assuming he is going to need new spindles, where would be a good place to get them? Junk yards are probably out as I am not the type to rummage thru them if I can buy new. Or would it be better to get a whole new front setup that way we know what we have and it is all new? This is going to be a good time for me to suggest a front sway bar as well since we will have it on blocks for a bit while we get whatever he needs.

RR
With all due respect, you're assuming a lot without having even looked at the truck.. Wheel bearings don't just "BLOW".. It's a progressive failure accompanied by a progressively louder noise.. Lot's of warnings before total failure.. IF it's a bearing failure, and that's a big IF, the best case is no damage occurred to other parts.. A simple bearing/race replacement will fix it.. IF it's actually a bearing failure and the spindle is damaged, most likely, you'll find the hub is damaged also.. First on the list is to determine what's happened and WHY..

CPP makes a good dropped spindle.. I deal with Summit because they ship free on orders over $99 and they're just a little over 100 miles from me.. Two days at the most to get stuff from them..

https://www.summitracing.com/search/...ped%20spindles
RustyPile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 04:43 AM   #3
REDROCKER652002

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyPile View Post
With all due respect, you're assuming a lot without having even looked at the truck.. Wheel bearings don't just "BLOW".. It's a progressive failure accompanied by a progressively louder noise.. Lot's of warnings before total failure.. IF it's a bearing failure, and that's a big IF, the best case is no damage occurred to other parts.. A simple bearing/race replacement will fix it.. IF it's actually a bearing failure and the spindle is damaged, most likely, you'll find the hub is damaged also.. First on the list is to determine what's happened and WHY..

CPP makes a good dropped spindle.. I deal with Summit because they ship free on orders over $99 and they're just a little over 100 miles from me.. Two days at the most to get stuff from them..

https://www.summitracing.com/search/...ped%20spindles
I agree, I don't know what happened as of yet. I will check it out when I get home assuming my son has it apart and I can look. I have a feeling he might have tightened the castle nut too tight and burnt it up, thus breaking it apart, but again, you are right, I am just assuming.

Thank you for the input, I did look at Summit, and if he decides to go that route I will suggest it. Just looking for opinions on places to go should it need more than just a bearing. Worse case scenario we have to rebuild the whole thing, which would be expensive, but not a bad thing. At least then we will know what we have.
Old 05-03-2021, 08:46 AM   #4
BigBird05

We love pictures. Both before tear down and the parts afterwards.
BigBird05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 09:24 AM   #5
RustyPile

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBird05 View Post
We love pictures. Both before tear down and the parts afterwards.
I totally agree with you.. Pictures talk louder than words..
Old 05-03-2021, 12:49 PM   #6
jimijam00

So, no front brake problem. Prolly need a thread title change.
jimijam00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 12:55 PM   #7
697498chevy

Few years ago my '69 C 10 was making noise when I pulled up to the guard gate at work . I drove it home ( 13 miles ) . Found the noise coming from the front left wheel . Bad wheel bearing . Also had to replace the hub as the race was spinning . Got one from the junkyard . Good luck !
697498chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 01:58 PM   #8
RustyPile

Well, it's been 2 weeks now since you posted this.. What did you and your son find?? Inquiring minds want to know..

Quote:

RR
Old 06-19-2021, 04:10 PM   #9
REDROCKER652002

Hey guys, sorry for the delay, been busy and kinda forgot. He took everything apart to find that the outer bearing was completely blown out on the drivers side. Passenger side was good. The needle bearings had separated from the race and were rattling around inside the hub, if that makes sense. The spindle was grooved a little, so it best to replace it. Since we did not really know where they came from, had gm numbers stamped on them though, he decided to go thru summit and buy CPP. They came in pairs so he replaced both sides. He works at Oreilly's so he decided to put in new tie rod ends and basically rebuild the front end as best he could. I stepped back and let him do his thing, he needs to learn. He unfortunately bought the wrong tie rod ends and when he brought it to get the front end aligned the guy told him. So, he repackaged all the stuff he bought, brought it back to Oreilly's and bought new Moog stuff. He said this stuff went in much easier and matched the year of the CPP sprindle. I have strongly recommended he get the car realligned, but as of now I don't think he has. I am going to give him another week or so to do the right thing then I will be a bit more stern in my recommendation. I almost think he doesn't want to do it because he is worried the guy will tell him the parts are wrong again. He doesn't go much over 20 MPH and drives it about 4 blocks, so for now I am OK with him learning all this on his own. I told him that if the front isn't alligned right, he will be buying new tires, and those cost him a few hundred each I think, so I am hoping his cheap side will come out. LOL

I know some of you are going to blast me for not getting involved, but I watched him as he did it, so I know all the parts were put in correctly and torqued right, all cotter keys inserted and bent in place.

My feeling is that he may have had the bearing tightened to tight and that is what blew it out, but I am sure others will have different takes on it.

Either way, he is learning a ton and seems to really enjoy the truck while we do work to it as we can.

Thanks to all for input, and sorry for the delay.

RR
Old 06-19-2021, 04:20 PM   #10
gmc684x4

Western chassis makes a good stock height spindle and a drop spindle
There one of the original innovators creating drop spindles

You can order through summit racing or direct from them
gmc684x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 08:44 PM   #11
tim_mc

Smile Re: Front brake issue

Quote:
I know some of you are going to blast me for not getting involved, but I watched him as he did it, so I know all the parts were put in correctly and torqued right, all cotter keys inserted and bent in place.
RR
Nope, no blasting from me! I think it's great that you can step back and let him take the lead. When I was a kid my dad would have me watch and fetch tools, but he would do all the work. I learn better when doing it myself. I also got my CPP drop spindles through Summit - better than dealing with CPP direct. I also rebuilt my front end with Moog parts - good stuff! Keep pressing him on the alignment. One of the shops here has a lifetime alignment, good for as long as you own the vehicle. It's been a money saver with one of our daughters hitting curbs, etc. They lost money on that deal!

Last edited by tim_mc; 06-19-2021 at 08:51 PM.
tim_mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 09:19 PM   #12
jimijam00

Quote:
It would be a real loser to blast you for this. I'd buy you a couple beers for supervising him while he learns.
jimijam00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 08:28 PM   #13
REDROCKER652002

Thanks guys, it took a lot to keep back and let him go. My dad was the same way, I would fetch tools and be the water getter. LOL. So, for me, I had a large learning curve and still don't know as much as I would have had a did most of it myself. I am going to press him a bit harder for the alignment, but for now he is enjoying having the truck back on the road.
Old 06-24-2021, 09:21 PM   #14
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

Quote:
Thanks guys, it took a lot to keep back and let him go. My dad was the same way, I would fetch tools and be the water getter. LOL. So, for me, I had a large learning curve and still don't know as much as I would have had a did most of it myself. I am going to press him a bit harder for the alignment, but for now he is enjoying having the truck back on the road.
I agree with him doing the work and learning. But and a very firm but, he changed parts. Thus an alignment is a must. SAFETY FIRST and foremost. It may save him or someone else......

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man

Last edited by Ol Blue K20; 06-24-2021 at 09:23 PM. Reason: add
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 12:41 AM   #15
Accelo

"The needle bearings had separated from the race and were rattling around inside the hub, if that makes sense."

The bearings are Tapered Roller style and thus the rolling elements are called taper rollers. One can tell a lot from picture. Typically when the bearing cage fails it's a lubrication failure. Sometimes difficult to tell because heat destroys the evidence. Excessive bearing preloading will not typically destroy a bearing so quickly. A little know fact a is a pre-loaded bearing will last longer than one with clearance, with lube of course.
I'm glad you let him make is own mistakes. Experience is the best of teachers.
Take care.
Accelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 07:13 AM   #16
Happy_dan

I think it is great. My dad was a jack of all trades and master of none as he would say. He could do a little of everything and always showed me. From plumbing to electrical work to wood working. But he would never let me do it myself and I could only watch and fetch tools. I found I did not retain half of it. He was not into cars, so I learned all that on my own but I sure wish I could do half of what he could now!

Good for you to make sure he was safely working but letting him do it on his own.
2012 Camaro ZL1
Happy_dan is offline   Reply With Quote