The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-29-2022, 01:42 PM   #1
StorminNorman

New Qa1 crossmember

Coming soon :

https://www.qa1.net/c10?fbclid=IwAR1...6kG6300eqL8GuA

They make some nice stuff. Wonder how the engineering will work out on this one compared to other companies attempts.
Old 06-29-2022, 04:37 PM   #2
SCOTI

Re: New Qa1 crossmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by StorminNorman View Post
Coming soon :

https://www.qa1.net/c10?fbclid=IwAR1...6kG6300eqL8GuA

They make some nice stuff. Wonder how the engineering will work out on this one compared to other companies attempts.
I see where it appears to offer the possibility of reducing track width. Curious what else was changed as far as geometry/pick-up points?
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 08:10 PM   #3
StorminNorman

They say its compatible with their existing a-arms, which are designed to mount to stock locations. So not sure how they would change things? (much).
I have a set of their lower arms and they are nicely made.
Old 07-01-2022, 08:06 AM   #4
SCOTI

Quote:
They say its compatible with their existing a-arms, which are designed to mount to stock locations. So not sure how they would change things? (much).
I have a set of their lower arms and they are nicely made.
It would make no sense if they weren't compatible w/existing parts.

If you look @ the lower a-arm attachment points, there are 2 slots on each side for the lowers. Using the inner slots would reduce track width. Using the outers would increase it. Not saying it's a significant amount but some of the aftermarket lower arms are available 'narrowed' to help put things where you want.

I see the 2 position options as a decent idea to help dial in track width & also for tweaking alignment:
Attached Images

99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Last edited by SCOTI; 07-01-2022 at 08:12 AM.
Old 07-01-2022, 10:04 PM   #5
StorminNorman

Ah, Yer right. Good eye.
I'd really like to see how the column shaft works out. That always seems to be a crutch on these conversions; The U-joints all operating at max angles.

They have an install vid up :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33kIV3Ap25E

Last edited by StorminNorman; 07-01-2022 at 10:13 PM.
StorminNorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 06:56 AM   #6
wickedred

Hopefully they hit a decent price point. There are a lot of good and proven options out there.

1971 C10. Auto Cross/Pro Touring Build. Project : I am gonna go broke with this one.

1970 Chevy LWB 4x4. 355, 4spd, Dana 44 front, Dana 60 rear, 35x12.50 tires... STOLEN

I will put a Turbo on anything with an engine if the $$$ is right. Once upon a time....
wickedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 02:19 PM   #7
fast70swb

Around 2200 for the cross member and rack

Around 4000 for complete front setup
fast70swb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 05:38 PM   #8
StorminNorman

Just noticed I cant see any bump stops on it. And they are using those cable straps on the shock as down stops I am guessing.
Old 07-11-2022, 04:27 PM   #9
theastronaut

Quote:
Just noticed I cant see any bump stops on it. And they are using those cable straps on the shock as down stops I am guessing.
Looks like the bump stops are on the coilover shaft, just under the spring hat. It would be nice if the cable was adjustable to limit droop travel for autocross/track use for more control over body roll and to keep more weight on the inner rear tire when coming out of corners under power. Then adjust it back to a longer length for better ride quality on the street.
theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 04:38 AM   #10
AllGoNoShow

Someone needs to buy one of these and let me know how the rack and pinion connection works out! I have the QA1 front kit sitting in boxes in my basement and this would be a nice add on, but want to see someone install one with the rack hooked up first. I don't know if its just how they have it mocked up, but in that video the angle of the rack shaft looks very wonky and I don't see how it would connect.
AllGoNoShow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2022, 09:32 AM   #11
Damien

Here are a couple photos of the steering shaft installed. A two piece shaft is recommended for clearance around the shock mount and to reduce the angles on the joints. The steering support bracket and rod end are included with the system. Sweet Mfg. u-joints do have a little more operating angle than some of the other brands.

The install instructions include the photos below and part number recommendations for steering joints and fittings to connect the rack.
https://www.qa1.net/assets/uploads/d...ssmember_4.pdf

'73-'87
Name:  shaftsupport.jpg
Views: 1226
Size:  69.1 KB

'67-'72
Name:  steeringshafthighlight.jpg
Views: 1220
Size:  53.6 KB
Old 11-26-2022, 08:26 PM   #12
tresguey

That new QA1 crossmember is a top notch for sure, speaking with their product manager at SEMA this year in my booth at our Monday night kickoff party, he convinced me not to frame swap my 62 to a 69. That there are other options, like this new crossmember. It’s a piece of jewelry as well.
tresguey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2023, 02:02 PM   #13
Mbeef61

Just getting mine installed. I got the retrofit kit. I had the previous kit still in boxes so I added the crossmember kit. It’s a little bit of a pain figuring out the changes to things with hardware etc being that it wasn’t previously installed. Probably much easier to start with the complete kit or start with an installed older kit. Going together smoothly.

Installing the rack today I believe and working on the rear. I need to powdercoat the rear end housing and spindles to keep going
Attached Images

Mbeef61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 05:53 PM   #14
AllGoNoShow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbeef61 View Post
Just getting mine installed. I got the retrofit kit. I had the previous kit still in boxes so I added the crossmember kit. It’s a little bit of a pain figuring out the changes to things with hardware etc being that it wasn’t previously installed. Probably much easier to start with the complete kit or start with an installed older kit. Going together smoothly.

Installing the rack today I believe and working on the rear. I need to powdercoat the rear end housing and spindles to keep going
Would love to know how the steering linkage works out when you get to that point….angles have me a little worried just looking at it and my 1.75 header tubes for the #1 cylinder of my SBC look like they may be in the way.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-10-2023, 09:57 PM   #15
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllGoNoShow View Post
Would love to know how the steering linkage works out when you get to that point….angles have me a little worried just looking at it and my 1.75 header tubes for the #1 cylinder of my SBC look like they may be in the way.
Posted via Mobile Device
Header p/n?
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 02-14-2023, 12:50 PM   #16
biketopia

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllGoNoShow View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
Header p/n?

And pictures of said headers installed if you have them?

07 Silverado Classic 2wd

95 Camaro 427SBC/TH350
biketopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2023, 06:07 PM   #17
AllGoNoShow

Quote:
Originally Posted by biketopia View Post
And pictures of said headers installed if you have them?
I used these headers linked below- and, oddly enough, they are pictures of them installed on a 68 C10 in the reviews and you can see how far the #1 tube comes out, which has me concerned about running the steering shaft for the rack on this QA1 piece. They fit great and have no interference issues with the Z bar in my current configuration.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hed-69026/reviews
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-25-2023, 07:36 PM   #18
SCOTI

Cool to see a 1.75" primary 'mid-length' option available.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 09-26-2023, 12:29 PM   #19
GSFMECH
On the road

I know I'm late to the party on this one. I have the QA-1 already and would love to use this crossmember to drop mine a bit more but like everyone else I'm worried about the steering hookup. I have a big block with 2" headers and don't want to give them up. I talked with Dave Kass with QA-1 on HRPT 2022 and he said they made it work, but after reading the installation instructions I see they used small tube headers.

Castro- 72 SWB. Ochre and White. 496/400 turbo, GV OD ,Dakota Digital dash , tilt, Vintage Air, PS, hydro boost, factory buckets, console, QA-1 Coil over suspension, 20/20"Billet Specialties Magnetos

72 SWB. Med blue. 454/400 turbo, tach, tilt, Stock AC, PS,PDB, factory buckets, console, ECE 4/6 drop w/ 2" blocks and C-notch, 20/20"Coys- Crashed and destroyed by drunk driver Sept 2019. New 72 build in the works.

My new build thread "Castro"
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=820934

My old build thread, the blue truck
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=271489

www.louisianaclassictruckclub.com
GSFMECH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2023, 12:26 PM   #20
GSFMECH
On the road

My Buddy is mocking his up with a Big Block now, paving the road for me. Steering is tight but everything else clears. He is likely going to use a Flaming River VDOG to get around the header with the steering. He is toying with the Borgeson double U-Joint and hasn't made up his mind yet. These are 2" headers so if he were to use smaller tube headers it would clear fine.
Attached Images

Castro- 72 SWB. Ochre and White. 496/400 turbo, GV OD ,Dakota Digital dash , tilt, Vintage Air, PS, hydro boost, factory buckets, console, QA-1 Coil over suspension, 20/20"Billet Specialties Magnetos

72 SWB. Med blue. 454/400 turbo, tach, tilt, Stock AC, PS,PDB, factory buckets, console, ECE 4/6 drop w/ 2" blocks and C-notch, 20/20"Coys- Crashed and destroyed by drunk driver Sept 2019. New 72 build in the works.

My new build thread "Castro"
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=820934

My old build thread, the blue truck
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=271489

www.louisianaclassictruckclub.com
GSFMECH is offline   Reply With Quote