The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-24-2023, 08:51 PM   #1
PaulJG

73+ K10 springs input

I put this in general...better ask here.
So the very front leap spring bracket that receives the leaf spring eye is 3.5" wide. Factory specs are for 2¾ springs.
Curious if anyone has ordered any 47" 3 pack leafs for the front. I just wanted feedback about the product, where ordered. I was looking at truckspring out of MI..think the SKU is the same as Dorman. Had problems with their website but could be my phone. Dorman has a set and pics looks like it tapers down at the shackle end. I understand it should be 2 ¾" all the way through. Just looking for a stock set, no lift..though these are just over an inch arch.
Skyjackers are 2½ lift .. 2½" wide.
No one carries a 3" at the eye spring.
You guys using the 2½ wide aftermarkets?
Am I over thinking this. Ive read a few thread on the subject. Having construction background I'm all about measurements. I checked Procomp as well..no measurements on their product..at least not with my phone.
Like to somewhat satisfied with my choice, no surprises.
Thanks for your input.
PaulJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2023, 08:42 AM   #2
b454rat

Re: 73+ K10 springs input

lol yes your overthinking it. If you want just a stock spring then order a stock spring. Don't get HD, they are incredibly stiff. I have a set in my 2000 that's been SAS'd, and with the 4 leaves, it DOES NOT MOVE!! I took one leave out, lowered it a bit, but dunno how it rides cause it's not on the road, and has zero exhaust.
b454rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2023, 10:06 PM   #3
PaulJG

I am leaning towards a skyjacker 2 inch lift.best reviews Ive read thus far.
Stock springs should be 2 3/4..all Ive found are 2 1/2 .
Agreed I'm overthinking it...but my brother is a retired Ford drivetrain engineer...its his fault..lol😉. We discuss products a lot.. harbor freight and others. ..and how chevy is great for finding parts..cheap and plentiful. So where are 2 3/4 springs brother?
I may buy the Dorman temporarimy and go from there. Im going from C30 to 4WD and a little concerned about lifting too much. Running 32" tires.
Old 02-27-2023, 02:06 AM   #4
Richard

Not sure what the focus on spring width is about? Many factors determine the actual behavior of the spring. Width, length of pack, number of leafs, thickness of leafs and arch of pack. All off the shelf lift springs and stock replacement type will ride and behave like stock springs. FIRM. If you want a nice spring contact Alcan, Atlas or Deaver. The Deaver springs in the rear of my 72 have almost 16" of travel, 10 leafs and are very compliant. While my rear springs are custom length they could be made to stock length as well.
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2023, 12:34 PM   #5
PaulJG

I think I was just looking for more info..similar questions Ive read on others threads.
Im not up to speed on springs! .Springs for Dummies. ha. This is what Ive gathered..

So 67-72 tapered springs are no longer available nor made..that is tapered 3" at eye to 2 1/2 at axle pad. Most 73+ are 2 1/2 wide..factory was 2. 3/4.
Tapered can mean both width of spring as well as thickness. Duh(needed to look at a bunch) Tapered thickness is a higher quality spring/pack. Makes engineering sense anyway. The Dormans are non tapered from pics..affordable. Springs seem to taper (width)towards the eye...This seems to affect size bushing needed..at least the shoulder. Be nice to have 3" at the eye with ¼" of bushing on each side to fill the 3 1/2" space. Or use fat washers. I'm preplanning..want to use stock as I want mostly no lift running 32" tires. Springs have 2 different style clips/retainers. Bolt style may not allow movement. Arguments against other style. Other springs have riveted on teflon liners on the leafs..I think on tapered thickness springs only..hmm interesting idea.
So there is a lot to say..
Need a podcaster to do an expensive..buy all the different types and do some kind of analysis. Many of you have said alot about your experiences..thank you. It's useful. If I wanted a 2 1/2" lift I'd buy the skyjackers...seemingly best reviews. Toughcountry in there somewhat.

For now now since I can't can't find a used pair..I plan to buy the Dormans for temporary fitment. Go from there. Next option down the road would be custom springs as it seems there is little choice for stock springs.
Info is power..my engineer brother says!
Old 02-28-2023, 06:37 PM   #6
b454rat

I have these springs in my 2000 SAS'd truck. Its a big block, so has extra weight, and it is STIFF. I took the bottom leave out, and is better, but the truck has no exhaust, so only drivin it out of the garage n up the driveway some. But feels better than with all 4. Link below. They also list a lighter duty 3 leave spring...
https://www.generalspringkc.com/1973...pacity-4-leaf/
b454rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 03:35 AM   #7
Richard

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulJG View Post
I think I was just looking for more info..similar questions Ive read on others threads.
Im not up to speed on springs! .Springs for Dummies. ha. This is what Ive gathered..

So 67-72 tapered springs are no longer available nor made..that is tapered 3" at eye to 2 1/2 at axle pad. Most 73+ are 2 1/2 wide..factory was 2. 3/4.
Tapered can mean both width of spring as well as thickness. Duh(needed to look at a bunch) Tapered thickness is a higher quality spring/pack. Makes engineering sense anyway. The Dormans are non tapered from pics..affordable. Springs seem to taper (width)towards the eye...This seems to affect size bushing needed..at least the shoulder. Be nice to have 3" at the eye with ¼" of bushing on each side to fill the 3 1/2" space. Or use fat washers. I'm preplanning..want to use stock as I want mostly no lift running 32" tires. Springs have 2 different style clips/retainers. Bolt style may not allow movement. Arguments against other style. Other springs have riveted on teflon liners on the leafs..I think on tapered thickness springs only..hmm interesting idea.
So there is a lot to say..
Need a podcaster to do an expensive..buy all the different types and do some kind of analysis. Many of you have said alot about your experiences..thank you. It's useful. If I wanted a 2 1/2" lift I'd buy the skyjackers...seemingly best reviews. Toughcountry in there somewhat.

For now since I can't find a used pair. I plan to buy the Dormans for temporary fitment. Go from there. Next option down the road would be custom springs as it seems there is little choice for stock springs.
Info is power..my engineer brother says!
Stock leaf's and replacements all pretty much act the same. Even the ones labeled "soft ride" IME. I personally have seen at least two sources for stock type replacement springs on the web not including Dorman. Which probably gets springs from someone else.

The catalog Deaver's I used for mock up and my custom made Deaver's have sliders at the ends of every leaf held in place by a button on slider and hole in leaf, no rivets. The four spring clamps are fastened to a lower leaf and a bolt goes through the top of clamp.

If your main objective is low cost just pick a set you are comfortable with and use it. There will be little to no difference in where you get them from. I have been there in my younger years and I was content with my decision at time.
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote