The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-17-2023, 11:15 PM   #1
Codyweber

Exclamation Help me make sense of this (1965 4x4)

Alright, So i bought this project from a friend that bought the project off another guy who i believe passed away. So i can't reach out to the original owner. The problem I'm having is that I can't really figure out what i have here. Its a 1965 SBC truck that is ether a factory 4x4 or someones project turning it into one. The truck had what looks to be a 2WD transmission and possibly a divorced transfer case.(didn't come with the project).Where I'm most confused comes from the drivetrain. I acquired a SM465 with a NP208 that i wanted to throw in. Today i started pulling the trans and noticed that the bell housing is bolted to the rear crossmember.. The engine has weird cradle style mounts/crossmebers instead of the clamshell style mounts. I guess what I'm trying to find out is what this thing is? Is it original? What should i need to move forward with this project? Can i even use the stock style engine mounts(70s-80s Style) Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also, I have done a few engine/trans swaps in the past and am not a complete idiot when it comes to these trucks but i have never come across this stuff before.
Attached Images

Codyweber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2023, 11:44 PM   #2
geezer#99

Re: Help me make sense of this (1965 4x4)

Welcome to the forum!
The front mount is called a horseshoe mount. See the link for info or search for horseshoe mount.
The bellhousing bolts to the crossmember. It’s like that right to 1972. The trans hangs off the bell.
Something you need to check is if the big hole in the bell is the same size as the input shaft bearing housing on the trans.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=592845
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2023, 11:56 PM   #3
Codyweber

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer#99 View Post
Welcome to the forum!
The front mount is called a horseshoe mount. See the link for info or search for horseshoe mount.
The bellhousing bolts to the crossmember. It痴 like that right to 1972. The trans hangs off the bell.
Something you need to check is if the big hole in the bell is the same size as the input shaft bearing housing on the trans.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=592845
It isn稚. The new trans has a bigger bearing housing.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-18-2023, 12:29 AM   #4
Arne

I had a '69 K10 years ago with the same system and divorced t-case.

覧覧覧覧覧覧
Arne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2023, 12:32 AM   #5
Codyweber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arne View Post
I had a '69 K10 years ago with the same system and divorced t-case.
Do you think I should put the old trans back in and look for the correct transfer case?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-18-2023, 11:29 PM   #6
Short 3/4

Welcome
Up until 66 both 2&4wd trucks used the same SM 420 transmission. It uses a bell housing with a smaller hole than the 68 and later 465. If you have a good 420 it would be much simpler to use it. While some may disagree, I feel the 420 is one of the greatest transmissions ever made. Lowest 1st gear of any truck trans, plus reverse is where it should be. You will never break it.
Would be simpler if you could find the stock divorced 221 Xfer case (assuming you also get the brackets and linkage). It’s a case that some love and some hate (I personally like it) so can often be found cheap when someone is doing a swap. You can also use another model of divorced case, but will have to fab mounts and linkage so you’ll have to decide if you have that skill (can be a PITA to do a good job).
A great thing about a truck with a divorced case is you can throw in a 2wd rear driveshaft while you figure out the xfer case and get it on the road.
Have fun with the project. Lots of good knowledge on this forum.
Tom
NoSpin HO72 4.10 rear
Short 3/4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2023, 08:37 PM   #7
Joe P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codyweber View Post
Do you think I should put the old trans back in and look for the correct transfer case?
Posted via Mobile Device
That's what I would do, especially if you already have the SM420. The divorced Rockwell T221 comes up on E-bay every once in a while, also keep your eye on FB Marketplace and Craigslist. There's a married one right now on E-Bay but it's from 67 - 68 model years. The T221 in my truck is good. For peace of mind, I found a spare locally for under $500. It's sitting on the deck until I need it. If you do get a T221 do the $5 street elbow mod to increase oil capacity and to better lube the upper bearings.
Joe P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2023, 02:14 PM   #8
350TacoZilla

Personally I like everything about the SM420 except for the divorced transfer case setup with the 4x4's. Companies like novak make conversions to put a transfer case straight on them but its $$$ and makes for a rather short front driveshaft, personally I would either have a local machine shop open up the bellhousing or turn down the retainer on the SM465. A SM465\NP205 is the old standby for strength but a np208 is still a good case as long as chain isn't stretched from abuse over the years.

On the factory 4x4 thing the vin will tell you.
K= 4wd
C= 2wd
350TacoZilla is offline   Reply With Quote