The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-22-2023, 09:31 AM   #1
GOPAPA
"Tail Gate Best Seat In House"

Battery run Lawn Mower questions

How about some opinions about battery run Lawn mowers and what you have or prefer for brands that are good as gas run ones or are they as good or better..

My lawn mower is gas driven and it takes about 1/2 gallon of gas a week to mow my two lawns ,, have no idea of how much money electricity would cost to charge batteries ,,I use non ethanol gas in my mower now and of course have to drive to get it and then store it and ,,,well ,, maybe battery is better ?
Thats really my question to any of you in the know .
Old 05-22-2023, 10:59 AM   #2
TKCR

Re: Battery run Lawn Mower questions

The only one I have ever used was a Kolbalt 21”, from Lowe’s. It was my mother in laws. She just had a small yard. I used it quite often when she got to the place where she couldn’t mow anymore. It was fine for the size yard she had. It is nice not having to deal with the gas. I don’t believe the electric that it took to charge was anymore than having a small appliance.
When it came time to replace the battery & blade, well the battery was a bit expensive. The blade, for some reason, we had a horrible time finding a replacement.
Would I ever buy one? No. Although I do love all my battery powered trimmers, blowers and small lawn equipment like that. But I don’t believe I would even want anything bigger than those. After all, when those little batteries need replaced, those are expensive enough!
TKCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 11:01 AM   #3
72c20customcamper

My son has a Makita push mower and loves it and he can use the batteries in his Makita hand tools . But he’s got a small lawn
1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 11:07 AM   #4
special-K
Special Order

If it takes 1/2 gallon to each mow I'm not sure a battery-powered mower would do. I'm considering getting a cordless push mower next time around. I push mow with a 20" mower now. A 2.125 gallon can almost does the whole season, 26 mows. Probably use 1 1/2 gallons a year. I'll be reading what others say here

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 11:17 AM   #5
1970 CST Short Wide
Senior Moment

I too am interested in this topic. My back lawn is 1300 sq ft and the front is 400 sq ft so fairly small. My gas mower works great but is starting to smoke just a bit. I like a self propelled mower like my gas one and worry about how much more battery I need just for that. I really don’t want to pay upwards to $500 for a mower
2019 GMC Diesil Dually. Youngest Son
2017 Toyota SUV Daughters car
2018 Traverse , Wife’s Ride
Pittsburg Ca
1970 CST Short Wide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 12:06 PM   #6
kwmech

I/we have a Ryobi for the past 3 years and it has been excellent so far
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 01:23 PM   #7
GOPAPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwmech View Post
I/we have a Ryobi for the past 3 years and it has been excellent so far
Is it a 40volt and self propelled? cost maybe Around $200 and one battery ?
Old 05-22-2023, 01:43 PM   #8
TxGary

I have a EGO 56 volt 21" selfpropeled, On my fourth year of use. Perfect for up around the house. Battery quit after the first year, no problem it has a 5 year warranty. Light weight and easy to load in the truck.
2015 Chevy Tahoe LTZ 4X4
2015 Diamond C 22' HD car hauler
Bowie, Texas 76230
TxGary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 01:52 PM   #9
GOPAPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxGary View Post
I have a EGO 56 volt 21" selfpropeled, On my fourth year of use. Perfect for up around the house. Battery quit after the first year, no problem it has a 5 year warranty. Light weight and easy to load in the truck.
Do you Mulch ? ,do you bag up the grass? what height do you cut your grass? I realize you may not know the answer to this ,,but my grass is thick and green ,lots of water in my grass,, mostly in the spring though ,, I am thinking that your grass is dry,, but you can correct me on this thought,, thx for the feedback .
Old 05-22-2023, 02:26 PM   #10
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

it will be -45 in hell before i will buy a battery operated lawn tool the blower i bought was horrid and it was dewalt the guy next door has to mow a small yard over 2 days with his green eco friendly mower...

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 04:44 PM   #11
TxGary

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPAPA View Post
Do you Mulch ? ,do you bag up the grass? what height do you cut your grass? I realize you may not know the answer to this ,,but my grass is thick and green ,lots of water in my grass,, mostly in the spring though ,, I am thinking that your grass is dry,, but you can correct me on this thought,, thx for the feedback .
Yes i mulch, bag sometimes, cutting on 4. I mow every 3-4 days. I have a water well just for the lawn.
2015 Chevy Tahoe LTZ 4X4
2015 Diamond C 22' HD car hauler
Bowie, Texas 76230
TxGary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 05:56 PM   #12
best view

I also have a ryobi for both of my houses work great small lawns but i pick them because all my equipment uses them also they’re great for picking up all the pine needles and leaves i don’t rake anymore
best view is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 08:10 PM   #13
68panelman

There is no e-mower for my house, my yard has thick, I'm talking 1/4-3/8" blades of grass, that bogs down even a 23 hp Kawasaki in my zero turn. My state is looking to mandate these electric vehicles 100% by 2035, unsure how that'll happen in a state with a average yearly income of $34K
Attached Images

68panelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 08:23 PM   #14
GOPAPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68panelman View Post
There is no e-mower for my house, my yard has thick, I'm talking 1/4-3/8" blades of grass, that bogs down even a 23 hp Kawasaki in my zero turn. My state is looking to mandate these electric vehicles 100% by 2035, unsure how that'll happen in a state with a average yearly income of $34K
What I need is a battery lawn mower to use just for a trial run,, ,, and see how it cuts my grass and how long does the battery last.. I wonder if I bought it off Amazon mowed my grass front and back Lawns and if it didnt work well enough just put it back in its box take it to UPS store ,,they tag it and send it back and I get a refund??
Old 05-22-2023, 08:33 PM   #15
CG
BlahBlahBlah

I was watching a commercial about an electric mower not too long ago. I think I have this correct, give or take a foot ball field... They said the charge is enough to mow the length of 7 foot ball fields. But it came out kinda like it would mow 7 whole football fields. When i watched it another time I realized they were talking length. Kinda deceptive, or Im a halfwit for not figuring it out sooner. heh.

Monroe Swap meet May 18-19.
Mike has the same spots for the NW guys he's had forever.
Lunch time BBQ at the spaces.
If you have stuff to sell bring it along.

If you have a question PM stllookn (Mike) here via the board.

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=851291
CG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 08:34 PM   #16
68panelman

Quote:
What I need is a battery lawn mower to use just for a trial run,, ,, and see how it cuts my grass and how long does the battery last.. I wonder if I bought it off Amazon mowed my grass front and back Lawns and if it didnt work well enough just put it back in its box take it to UPS store ,,they tag it and send it back and I get a refund??
Buy mower, not happy, Contact Amazon, they are good with returns, most products have a 30 day window, if you're unsatisfied, make a return. Amazon will email a return label to bring to UPS to scan.
68panelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 08:47 PM   #17
franken

There's no problem w/ corn-gas in a mower as long as you run it dry at the end of the season. A half gallon a week sounds like it will take a long time before the cost of an electric mower will make sense. Long before that happens the battery pack will need to be replaced.
franken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 09:19 PM   #18
Just call me Sean

I used to have a corded weedeater that I liked a lot. I finally got a gas one a while back and like it so much better. As far as a mower, no experience with anything battery powered but I did become much happier when I upgraded to one with a seat.
Just call me Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 01:03 AM   #19
kwmech

Quote:
Is it a 40volt and self propelled? cost maybe Around $200 and one battery ?
Yes it is, actually I'm not sure about the self propelled, but it is a 40v and was around 200, maybe a little more. Don't remember for sure as it was a few years ago
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 07:26 AM   #20
special-K
Special Order

Like all things new they come out with, I'm never the guy who runs out and buys it. I'm more like one of the last. So, I get the benefit of seeing how things pan out. That's what I'm doing right now with cordless mowers. Due to flower beds/landscaping the amount of grass needing mowed has shrunken and gotten cut-up enough that I got rid of my riding mower. Makes more sense to push mow, takes about an hour and I also mow along the opposite side of the road for a good stretch. I have realized, except along the road, that my grass could be cut by an electric mower. But just never likes the idea of it. Now with cordless equipment... maybe. We'll see. I know as long as I have a running gas-powered mower I'm going to use it. I don't stop using a working piece of equipment just to buy new. The time to get rid of it will come all on it's own

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 05-23-2023, 10:18 AM   #21
jeffahart

I just don't think you will be happy with an electric mower. I have alot of ego electric yard tools.

I used the mower when I lived in Los Angeles. Pretty smally grass areas. The mower worked OK only. And my grass was wet but not real wet. You're in Idaho? You will not be happy. The E mower does not have the guts to suck up the wet grass. If your grass grows signifantly between mows... forget it. I have three batteries. Three batteries: two 5ah and a 2.5ah. I blow through both 5ah blowing my property(about an acre all groomed). I don't have grass anymore. I live in the desert and have mostly desert scape with rocks and a couple patches of fake grass in the back pool area. The tools are nice, blower, hedger, pole saw. I also have a power broom attachment for the fake grass(it really works good, glad I bought it). All my stuff is ego. Batteries are an issue. One of my 5ha is already not holding a charge as well. (about five years old).
I gave the mower away because I don't need it. No lawn anymore. The only thing I really liked about the mower was... you just flip a swithch to turn it on. Other than that I didn't care about it enough to keep it. I think the battery and charger is worth more than the mower.

Anyhow, I would buy a new gas mower with as much horsepower as you can push!

My two cents.

j

Last edited by jeffahart; 05-23-2023 at 10:23 AM.
jeffahart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 06:24 PM   #22
HO455
Post Whore

Not a battery recommendation but we have a Black and Decker corded electric mower that has been bullet proof for 5 or 6 years. No maintenance other than I sharpen the blade once a year.

We bought it used off Craigslist for $60 buck in like new condition. The wife does the mowing on our average sized lawn that is pretty rough compared to most. The never ending battle with moles keeps us from getting serious about making the lawn better.
Attached Images

If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2023, 07:35 AM   #23
special-K
Special Order

I was listening to someone next door using a cordless yesterday. I don't know what brand. She keeps her place ship shape, so mows regularly. It sounded like it kept cutting off, like a gas mower stalling in thick stuff. I'll have to see what she uses. Her yard should mow easy

Tim