The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-23-2023, 08:09 PM   #1
kwmech

Dash Cameras

So how many of you out there are running cameras in their rigs or other vehicles?? And what brand are you using? pros/cons?
I'm in the market for a couple of units to use in my truck and my wifes car. Seems now-a-days it's mandatory to CYA
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 08:38 PM   #2
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Re: Dash Cameras

I have a couple. Don't remember the brand names, I'll have to go look. My wife used hers on a regular basis before she retired. People drive like idiots all over the freeways around here. Once she put in a dash cam, the activity of her getting cut off in traffic dropped enormously. Since she drove to work in the dark, I called it a "magic talisman". We'll be rigging one up in the motorhome for driving to campgrounds. #LitigationState

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 09:06 PM   #3
truckster

I use the Blackvue DR750 LTE. It's a dual camera setup and it's cloud connected, so I can see what's going on in and around my truck at any time.
Old 05-23-2023, 09:57 PM   #4
mongocanfly
Post Whore

i was running a blackvue in my '13 GMC .. its a little complicated setup but is a nice unit.. front and rear cameras, park mode, batterysaver ..etc etc..
while that truck was in the body shop for 5 months, i was driving a rental truck..
not wanting to wire the blackvue into it ,i shopped around for other options..
i found a nice little plugin and go dash cam.. the (garmin dashcam mini 2)..
it is a really nice , very small camera,,it does a very good job for a fraction of the cost of the blackvue.. doesnt have all the options but thats ok with me..
after they declared my '13 totaled , i put the Garmin in my C30..so now it has a dashcam, and the blackvue is going in my new truck..
what i like about the garmin is its very easy to use in multiple vehicles..it comes with several of the windshield mounts, so all you have to do is snap it on and plug it in

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2023, 02:23 AM   #5
kwmech

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckster View Post
I use the Blackvue DR750 LTE. It's a dual camera setup and it's cloud connected, so I can see what's going on in and around my truck at any time.
Do you have the option of connecting to the cloud or is it part of the deal? Looks like the 750 has been upgraded to a 770
Old 05-24-2023, 02:24 AM   #6
kwmech

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongocanfly View Post
i was running a blackvue in my '13 GMC .. its a little complicated setup but is a nice unit.. front and rear cameras, park mode, batterysaver ..etc etc..
while that truck was in the body shop for 5 months, i was driving a rental truck..
not wanting to wire the blackvue into it ,i shopped around for other options..
i found a nice little plugin and go dash cam.. the (garmin dashcam mini 2)..
it is a really nice , very small camera,,it does a very good job for a fraction of the cost of the blackvue.. doesnt have all the options but thats ok with me..
after they declared my '13 totaled , i put the Garmin in my C30..so now it has a dashcam, and the blackvue is going in my new truck..
what i like about the garmin is its very easy to use in multiple vehicles..it comes with several of the windshield mounts, so all you have to do is snap it on and plug it in
Do you know which model? I like the idea of being able to move it around
Old 05-24-2023, 11:01 AM   #7
MJN

I've got a Nexar Beam, seems to work well, videos are recorded to the app and then loaded to the cloud automatically. It also saves to internal memory as well.
Only issue I've had is it will drain my phone's battery while the app is running during a drive and also slows down any other apps on my phone.
https://shop.getnexar.com/products/n....google.com%2F
'72 GMC Sierra Custom K2500- in progress
'08 GMC Envoy Denali
'12 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali
'17 GMC Yukon XL
VCCA member #58596
http://www.nohrco.com
MJN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2023, 11:44 AM   #8
kwmech

I'm looking for something I don't have to pay a monthy subscription to. Loop recording, gps location of recording with speed going to a sim card. Front and back recording. Stuff that goes to the cloud does not belong to you, it belongs to who ever has the computer it goes to.
Old 05-24-2023, 11:57 AM   #9
mongocanfly
Post Whore

KW, I assume your referring to the garmin.. this is the one I have..
https://www.garmin.com/en-US/p/731428 ..
paid about 100bucks for it off ebay
I only use 1 camera, and use it for front view.. I've seen where people use one for front, and another for rear..
The 1st blackvue I had was a 650, I had trouble with it after about a yr or so and they replaced it with the 750.. the blackvue was around 400+ dollars at time..

Whatever you get, I recommend getting the biggest sd card for it that it can use..those videos eat up alot of card space

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2023, 11:58 AM   #10
MJN

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwmech View Post
I'm looking for something I don't have to pay a monthy subscription to. Loop recording, gps location of recording with speed going to a sim card. Front and back recording. Stuff that goes to the cloud does not belong to you, it belongs to who ever has the computer it goes to.
For the Nexar, the link explains it pretty well, but there are no fees associated with it or the cloud storage, it comes with an SD card that records everything and you choose how much memory you want in the camera. It is up to you to pull the SD card and download the drives and videos otherwise it records on a loop and will write over previous drives. The drives get recorded to your phone and then uploaded to the cloud later so they're always available to download. The app allows you to choose how much phone memory to reserve for storage too. They do offer a front/rear camera but the one I have is only front facing. They will record gps location, speed and force of impact in the event of a collision.
'72 GMC Sierra Custom K2500- in progress
'08 GMC Envoy Denali
'12 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali
'17 GMC Yukon XL
VCCA member #58596
http://www.nohrco.com
MJN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2023, 12:18 PM   #11
kwmech

Sweet, I'll look deeper into both of those
Old 05-24-2023, 01:41 PM   #12
truckster

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwmech View Post
Do you have the option of connecting to the cloud or is it part of the deal? Looks like the 750 has been upgraded to a 770
Absolutely. It connects to cellular networks via a SIM card. You can leave the SIM or or simply turn it off. I bought it for theft protection as well as the regular reasons. With the alerts, I can know if someone is messing with my truck. And if it were to be stolen, the built-in GPS will let me track the sucker down.
Old 05-24-2023, 02:05 PM   #13
kwmech

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckster View Post
Absolutely. It connects to cellular networks via a SIM card. You can leave the SIM or or simply turn it off. I bought it for theft protection as well as the regular reasons. With the alerts, I can know if someone is messing with my truck. And if it were to be stolen, the built-in GPS will let me track the sucker down.
I like that! seeing as how one of them will be going on my Toyota 4x. It's getting to the point where all the vehicles I have are sought after and pulling down a decent amount of money complete or parted out.