The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-31-2023, 07:15 AM   #1
Ziegelsteinfaust

Learned a lesson this weekend.

This weekend I killed my engine due to a ignition issue. Which caused my cylinders to be washed down with gas, and killed 3 soldiers. While probably wounding 2 others.

While I am not sure what fully happened. I do know my ignition module got hot because I forgot to use a resistor. So after it cooled down I added a a resistor I got it running again, and drove it 80 miles back home. During the drive home it would weirdly surge at random points or back fire, and loose power. Since I drive my truck at 3000rpm when I had a momentary issue I was able to pump lots of gas through my engine.

What I do know is #2 cylinder is 25psi, and #1 is 110. Which is quite a bit lower then I remember it being. Although exact numbers I lost. Cylinders 4, and 7 are acting exactly like #2. From the external checks I did.

The engine was in perfect health when I left that morning, and now it needs a rebuild.

So even if you run a carb like I do. We still need to be careful of washing down cylinders. So if your having ignition issues. Be wary of driving it to far to fully fixed.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 06:48 PM   #2
truckster

Re: Learned a lesson this weekend.

If you have an ignition module, you're probably running an HEI. HEI should not have a resistor wire. If it got hot it's probably because it wasn't installed with thermal paste.

It sucks that your engine isn't running right anymore, but I wouldn't give up on it just yet. Have you tried pumping some oil into the #2 cylinder to see what happens with the compression? If the rings are shot, it should come up when you put oil in it.
Old 06-05-2023, 08:07 AM   #3
Ziegelsteinfaust

I pulled the heads this weekend to get ready for my new engine going in. Going to have them modified for perimeter bolt valve covers.

Nearly all the cross hatch has been wiped out from the cylinders. 1 still has almost decent, 2 look really worn, but 5 of them are damn near smooth.

Luckily no ring ridge. So maybe I can dingle ball them, and throw on some AFR 64cc heads to bring compression inline with today's gas.

Engine had maybe 100,000 miles on it. 10,000 by me.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 08:27 AM   #4
72c20customcamper

At 100k I’m not surprised the cross hatchings are gone . I would check the cylinder taper before just honing and throwing it back together .
1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote