The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > Heavy Haulers

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-06-2020, 01:19 PM   #51
STPETEBLUE

Re: 1989 GMC 6000 Pickup/Toy Conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdually View Post
Great looking truck! There's a TON of potential there, I really like it. I talked to Mike when I was beginning to build mine, he clued me in on a few things I'd run into and what height above the frame I would have to mount the bed to get it to line up. He was quite helpful and really knows these trucks inside out.
Mike is a straight shooter. He was a fleet manager for Waste Management for 35 years, so yes, he really knows these trucks. He was in communication with me throughout the build, suggesting various things, along the way. He really kept me in the loop while he was building the truck.
Quote:
The step bumper was tricky, I hunted EVERYWHERE for a long time and could find nobody who had one or makes one for a square body anymore. I was out of town for a week and one popped up for sale on Facebook. My girlfriend's dad drove two hours one way to go get it for me.
I don't mind the roll pan, but I think a step bumper would look even beefier, and I have always liked the style you have. Trouble is, I can't finish out the rear of the truck with a hitch until I get and mount the step bumper. Until then everyone behind me is looking up my ass end.
Did the bumper brackets line up with the frame rails pretty good?
Quote:
The fender clearance lights came from USA1 Industries. They were backordered forever but I did finally get them.
I think that is where I saw them, too. The only set I could find has the chrome around them. I have always liked the simpler looking lenses without the bling, but I need a GMC tailgate band to cover the word "CHEVROLET", and all the trucks that came with the band had the bling light lenses, so . . .
Quote:
My Christmas setup was actually all incandescent lights, I ran them on a 2000 watt quiet Honda generator in the bed, you couldn't even hear it over the truck idling. I could have ran way more lights and this year hopefully I can.
Well, I have that very genny so I guess I have that covered. I just didn't know if if there was something else out there that I should consider. The genny didn't tip over or anything?
Quote:
Looking forward to more pics and a build thread on yours!
I don't really have a build thread, but I did post up a "progression", if you will, on my Facebook page. You can find it HERE.

Thanks for all the questions answered.

Last edited by STPETEBLUE; 11-06-2020 at 02:11 PM.
STPETEBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 12:08 PM   #52
Bigdually

Quote:
Originally Posted by STPETEBLUE View Post

I don't mind the roll pan, but I think a step bumper would look even beefier, and I have always liked the style you have. Trouble is, I can't finish out the rear of the truck with a hitch until I get and mount the step bumper. Until then everyone behind me is looking up my ass end.
Did the bumper brackets line up with the frame rails pretty good?
That is exactly the same issue I had, I wanted a drop bumper to really finish out the rear end the way I wanted it to look. The bumper brackets actually lined up really well with the 6" channel sub frame I had to make to raise the bed high enough (7"). I believe your truck has a larger "lift" on the bed. My hitch is mounted directly to the truck frame and ended up coming out just below the bumper like a regular pickup.

Quote:
Well, I have that very genny so I guess I have that covered. I just didn't know if if there was something else out there that I should consider. The genny didn't tip over or anything?
That setup worked really well for me, the unit was pretty stable even at road speed, and especially at parade speed never offered to tip. I had the hardest time keeping the huge inflatable snowman from blowing over
Old 11-08-2020, 02:08 PM   #53
sweetk30

easy to make the step bumper but it just wont be chrome unless you spend crazy money to do it or get it super close with powder coat .

look here for pics http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=755514

post # 31 is the start on making it . then 40 / 43-46 and 48 .
85-c10sb summer fun toy .
-----------------------------
HOLLEY SNIPER efi = worst case of p.i.t.a i ever had .

EDELBROCK pro flo 4 = best deal going so far . love my setup works great.
sweetk30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 06:11 PM   #54
STPETEBLUE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdually View Post
Also around this time my amazing girlfriend bought me a bedmat for the truck for my birthday. She's definitely a keeper!!
Where did she get the bed mat? LMC? Does it have the cutout for the fuel filler housings on both sides?
Old 11-09-2020, 07:17 AM   #55
Bigdually

Quote:
Where did she get the bed mat? LMC? Does it have the cutout for the fuel filler housings on both sides?
The mat came from a local custom trucks place, they sell toppers and tonneau covers and ANY other accessories you can even think of. Basically a walk-in JC Whitney I forget the brand but it is very good quality and thick rubber, and it does have both cutouts for the fuel filler necks.
Old 06-12-2021, 07:57 PM   #56
STPETEBLUE

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetk30 View Post
here you boys go for a little big truck action .

i look his pics over from time to time .

https://bigasstrux.com/
He built my truck (1989 TOPKICK EX-RYDER under the SOLD link).
Old 11-23-2021, 10:41 PM   #57
LynnB

I love these c60 and c70 trucks built into pick ups. They used to look HUGE. But now, it seems it is barely bigger than the giant half tons everyone builds.
LynnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 05:13 AM   #58
cnntnsxty@aol.com

Very nice! I have a 75 buts it's going to stay a dump truck, the 14 ft bed comes in handy. That 366 will definitely run better with the edelbrock just watch your revs the 366 redlines around 4000 the old holleys were part of the governor system.
cnntnsxty@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 11:34 AM   #59
LT7A

I hope you're still having fun with this. I think you can get frost white from touch up paint dot com. You could go around it rattle canning, panel by panel to get it all one color for cheap it you wanted to. Kinda the rough and ready look for now. Regardless, I think it looks cool now and came together really well.
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 06:43 PM   #60
TKDanYoung

Just creepin on the various build threads on the forum for a bit, I normally stick to the 67-72 C10 stuff. But man, I am glad I clicked on this! Such an awesome build! Great work!
TKDanYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 10:13 PM   #61
truckfan

Love the build! Thanks for letting us watch!
Old 01-18-2023, 09:35 PM   #62
Bigdually

Life sure has a way of getting busy and next thing you know a couple years have gone by with no progress on your projects. I did get married and we moved into a nice home with a metal building separate from the garage that has tall enough doors for the truck to fit in! That's where it spent all of 2022 except one small outing. Fuel was sky high and my normal summer cruising at 8-10 mpg just wasn't feasible. I do keep the old girl started and moved around some though, and last week I started it and noticed a fuel fitting before the filter at the carb was leaking, I'll have to fix that.

As far as my next steps, I have found this old fire truck somewhat locally about to come up for sale (potentially) and if I can snag it for the right price the low mile 427/Allison AT combo would be SWEET in my truck. Time will tell...
Attached Images