The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-11-2022, 10:14 PM   #1
kxmotox247

One Piece Floor - Any recent updates on Quality or Installation?

I've got a customer truck that can benefit from one of these floors. Has anyone done one recently? This is going in a 1960. LMC has the 1960-62 in stock.

I've done one in a 1968 C10 and it was pretty decent quality. Not perfect but acceptable. Nice clean new sheet metal is great.

Just looking for any recent feedback. Not much info on them in the 1960-66 category.
kxmotox247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 07:36 AM   #2
downeyballz

Re: One Piece Floor - Any recent updates on Quality or Installation?

i have a cab floor for my 66 from lmc. i haven't installed it yet so i cant comment on fitment. i hope other chime in to help us out.
downeyballz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 10:39 PM   #3
kxmotox247

Well... the new floor has been ordered from gmcpauls. It says it is made specifically for them. $200ish more expensive than anyone else but I'm good with supporting a family business. I'm terrible with documenting pics but I'll need to for this customer. Will share feedback once I have some. Looking at about 2 weeks for delivery of the floor.
Old 02-17-2022, 07:39 PM   #4
aerotruk63
Check The Champ, Demonstrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kxmotox247 View Post
Well... the new floor has been ordered from gmcpauls. It says it is made specifically for them. $200ish more expensive than anyone else but I'm good with supporting a family business. I'm terrible with documenting pics but I'll need to for this customer. Will share feedback once I have some. Looking at about 2 weeks for delivery of the floor.
Let us know please.
GMC PAULS wood dimensions must be the most shared link on the internet.

YouTube Channel with 20+ Original Chevrolet Truck Salesmen, Mechanics & Service Department Training Slideshows.
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...otruk63&page=1
aerotruk63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 08:53 PM   #5
kxmotox247

I've been getting the cab ready. New mounts installed. Interior stripped. Double checking the fit of the doors before I brace the cab.
Attached Images

Old 03-01-2022, 09:40 PM   #6
kxmotox247

The floor has arrived. Ordered thru GMC Pauls. The box indicates it is a Dynacorn floor. It may be a decal placed over the actual manufacturer.

I built a dolly for transporting the cab from our main shop to the shop at my house. The paint booth has way more light in it. I think I may be getting older but that sure is nice! The bracing is all removable.

Tomorrow I'll try to get the old floor out and update everyone with some pictures. I'm going to carefully cut out the old rockers first... so I can see how they fit before I replace the floor. The new ones came from GMC Pauls in a key parts box. They seem to be very nice.

There's going to be lots of rust to treat on the cab back wall. I'm not looking forward to that. Lots of grinding, wire brushing, cutting and welding. Looking forward to giving this guy a much better cab. Reportedly it came from the southwest. Lots of fine dirt, sand and RUST.
Attached Images

Last edited by kxmotox247; 03-01-2022 at 09:47 PM.
Old 03-02-2022, 08:04 AM   #7
OL SKOOL

Top notch work as always. Very nice job on the bracing.
OL SKOOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 10:32 PM   #8
kxmotox247

Quote:
Originally Posted by OL SKOOL View Post
Top notch work as always. Very nice job on the bracing.
Thank you OL SKOOL. I try. Like everyone else I try to learn and up my game each time to make things easier in the future.

Things took longer today than I thought. I was able to get both rockers out. I could have crudely hacked them out but I wanted to remove them carefully to do a test fit of the new rockers using the old floor. I'll attach a couple of pics. I believe these are key parts rockers and were purchased thru GMC Pauls. They feel a bit lightweight compared to the 67-72 Key Parts rockers. They also have the little gold Made in Taiwan stickers which I hadn't seen before on Key Parts stuff so now I'm suspecting they could be some other stampings. Holding confidence that GMC Pauls is selling the best regardless of manufacturer. They have that reputation.

So the report is that the rears of the rockers fit great. The fronts are a little off and will require a bit of massaging to fit properly. Not a huge deal. The weather strip seal appears to be a little further away from the OE floor (closer to the door). We'll see what it looks like with the new floor. I really just wanted to see what these relationships were like with the OE floor.
Attached Images

Old 03-03-2022, 08:06 PM   #9
kxmotox247

Not good news with the floor. Box had been relabeled by someone as a 1960-1962. We opened it up and it's for a 1963-1966. The only difference that I see is the mounting location for the forward cab mounts. The spot of green tape is where the front cab mount bolt should be.

I've contacted GMC Pauls for advice on what to do. I'm sure I can modify it to work... but not really wanting to do that. Plenty to keep me moving in the meantime though.
Attached Images

Old 03-03-2022, 08:12 PM   #10
kxmotox247

The old floor is out. Even the cab supports that appeared to be okay were rotten on the bottom. I'm glad we're going to be solid now. Lots of reference measurements made in relation to the inner/outer rocker shelf and also the distance between pillars. I reverified the measurements after removing the floor and there was no change.

Next up will be replacing the kick panels, cab corners and the flange that runs along the back wall. Will be cleaning and treating all of the rust that I can get to. I'm not a believer in POR15. It's certainly better than nothing but I may just clean and use a good epoxy primer. Truthfully either should be adequate for the life that I anticipate this truck to have.
Attached Images

Old 03-03-2022, 10:20 PM   #11
bigmoe

Odd that the box says it comes with a hump hole, as opposed to hump not included, lol.
bigmoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 10:33 AM   #12
Bobby B.

Starting this process on my 64 in a couple of weeks. Can’t wait to see how yours turns out!
Bobby B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 10:05 PM   #13
kxmotox247

GMCpauls has ordered us a new floor. They're going to send a truck to pick up the incorrect one. So that's good news.

So a couple of photos. The rusty flange on the back side of the cab needs fixed before I put the new floor in. I started cleaning as much of the sheet metal as possible including the cab corners. I gotta get back to decent metal. I wish the repro corners wrapped around the back a little further. May use some of this floor and the beads to fix the flange. We'll see.
Attached Images

Old 03-08-2022, 12:13 AM   #14
collins10672

classic parts of america now sells the lower rear patch panels for cab back wall.just thought i would pass it along.i will be watching as you progress on the metal work.
collins10672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 09:14 AM   #15
kxmotox247

Quote:
Originally Posted by collins10672 View Post
classic parts of america now sells the lower rear patch panels for cab back wall.just thought i would pass it along.i will be watching as you progress on the metal work.
Wow. That's great. I wish I would have seen this earlier. If I can't salvage some good metal to use then I will go that route.
Old 03-11-2022, 10:47 AM   #16
kxmotox247

New-ish metal repurposed for the back wall flange. Not perfect but will certainly do this cab some good. I epoxied the bare metal to get it sealed as soon as possible. The customer wants POR15 on the inside though. I surmise that the rear wall must scoop up rain water and moisture while going down the road. That's the only way I see that much rust occurring. Even across the areas where the rust hadn't broken through was deeply pitted.

Waiting on the new floor, inner roof patch, and air vent patch.
Attached Images

Old 03-11-2022, 11:04 PM   #17
kxmotox247

Door pillars on passenger side fixed today. Kick panels cut open to assess the inside for rust.
Attached Images

Old 03-22-2022, 09:44 PM   #18
65Custom

Nice work. I wish they had the full floor when I did my truck would have saved me a lot of work.

My Build Thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=366677

I must be
65Custom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 09:05 PM   #19
kxmotox247

Quick update. The second floor arrived. This time the box was labeled correctly as a 1960-1962 Floor. However the second replacement floor is actually a 1963-1966.
I contacted gmcpauls and the problem was escalated thru their vendor(s). What they found is that the last influx of floors in 3 separate warehouses are all improperly marked.
This leaves me with no choice but to modify the one I have. I will post some updates soon.
Old 03-25-2022, 09:22 PM   #20
cwcarpenter98

Man, that's a bummer. Sounds like someone is going to get a butt chewing in the packing department

1963 C10 - Frankentruck 283, 3 speed with overdrive
Overdrive wiring here
1963-ish truck bed trailer - Half-Wit

1981 C10 - Penny 305, th350

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

"I'll put it simple: if you're going hard enough left, you'll find yourself turning right." - Doc Hudson
cwcarpenter98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 09:32 PM   #21
kxmotox247

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwcarpenter98 View Post
Man, that's a bummer. Sounds like someone is going to get a butt chewing in the packing department
Isn't it? Huge mistake. Sounds like Dynacorn ordered 1960-1962 floors but all of them were built wrong. Good thing I saved the floor cups from the old floor.
Old 03-25-2022, 09:51 PM   #22
cwcarpenter98

Quote:
Originally Posted by kxmotox247 View Post
Isn't it? Huge mistake. Sounds like Dynacorn ordered 1960-1962 floors but all of them were built wrong. Good thing I saved the floor cups from the old floor.
Yeah, definitely good that you saved them. I wonder if a bunch of 63-66 boxes are floating around with the 60-62 floors

1963 C10 - Frankentruck 283, 3 speed with overdrive
Overdrive wiring here
1963-ish truck bed trailer - Half-Wit

1981 C10 - Penny 305, th350

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

"I'll put it simple: if you're going hard enough left, you'll find yourself turning right." - Doc Hudson
cwcarpenter98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 09:59 PM   #23
kxmotox247

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwcarpenter98 View Post
Yeah, definitely good that you saved them. I wonder if a bunch of 63-66 boxes are floating around with the 60-62 floors
Haha! Could be!

We joked at work that a fellow could make a few bucks by offering a retrofit kit to convert them. I got the impression that there were cargo containers full of the incorrect ones. The floor looks like a nice piece otherwise.
Old 09-29-2022, 10:05 PM   #24
kxmotox247

Sorry. Significant delays while we reprioritized some other projects this Spring & Summer. I jumped back in first week of September. Decided that the best time to put this over the windshield patch is right now... with no floor.
Attached Images

Old 09-29-2022, 10:18 PM   #25
kxmotox247

Primed the roof. Stripping the rest of the cab. I feel like a more efficient use of time and money would have been to hire a blaster. Cost is roughly $800 but would have significantly saved on labor and removed more rust.

I hate that these pictures want to come out sideways.
Attached Images