The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-03-2022, 04:21 PM   #1
CG
BlahBlahBlah

The Photoshop Thread!

Since we don't have a dedicated area how about a dedicated thread!

Please post a good picture of what you want shopped. If you want to see certain wheels etc on your truck, car or whatever, post up a decent picture of what you want added to your original pic.

Despite when photoshoppers say ... Here is a quicky of what you are looking for, remember a quicky could easily take an hour of someones time. So please make it easy for them to help you ... Oh and don't forget to say thanks =)

Be patient, we dont have the same amount of folks that used to do this here on the forums anymore. It might take a little bit.

Who will be first???

Monroe Swap meet May 18-19.
Mike has the same spots for the NW guys he's had forever.
Lunch time BBQ at the spaces.
If you have stuff to sell bring it along.

If you have a question PM stllookn (Mike) here via the board.

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=851291
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 08:44 AM   #2
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

Re: The Photoshop Thread!

I may get back to this eventually, but I really need to figure out how. The program I used, PaintShop Pro, has been sold and changed. I still have the DVD that it came on and theoretically could just use that, but I don't have a PC with a disc drive anymore. I really need to build myself an actual desk to sit at for that too. I browse here with a laptop in a recliner, the touchpad and touch screen are not conducive to photo editing.
Since I have been talking about retiring anyway, that may come sooner in spite of myself. I will have plenty of time at home then, but better access to bigger equipment and materials while still working at the cabinet shop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 09:57 AM   #3
CG
BlahBlahBlah

I think this thread actually belongs over in the main part of the 67-72 area. Way more eyes, and I know there are at least a couple fellas that do PS that visit there. I figured it would get moved here to general though. In the end its up to the mod squad (lol).

Or maybe at least a permanent link over there to here? That might be better because there are bound to be some off topic requests as in non 67-72 stuff.

I dont mind doing the PS work, I just dont want the be the only one. It really does take up a lot of a persons time. Like I said, even a quicky can burn up some time.

At least this thread will "hopefully" be a start. I think over on the HAMB their PS thread is up in the 900 page-ish area. Its fun to look through.

Old 06-04-2022, 10:02 AM   #4
special-K
Special Order

This is a great idea. Not enough traffic for a forum, why not at least a thread?

I used to have fun with that forum. I used it twice to play tricks on two members. We had a member with a '67 CST/20 Custom Camper that he restored really nicely, Medium Blue Poly w/White top. He was very proud of it, along with it's rarity. He seemed pretty convinced he had the only one. He had a thread where he was offering $100 to anyone who could come up with another bonafide '67 CST/20 Custom Camper. After the thread went a while I posted I found out about a black one I had to go check out. If it was one I'd take a picture.

He lived on a horse farm with miles of white 4-board fence. He had taken a nice shot of his truck at an angle on the lane with fence down both sides. I waited a while, then posted a thread in photoshop with that picture and asked if someone could make the truck black with white top. Someone did a really great job.

It was driving him crazy waiting. He really needed to see if this could actually be true. Finally I said I was going and would post a picture if it was real. You know the rest. Got him pretty good. He was a good sport. But he did vow to get even

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 11:38 AM   #5
unclebrad

Glad to see a photoshop thread here.

I'll happily help out with some work. I've done a few things on another forum that turned out well, but yes, it can be very time-consuming. Even though a "quicky" might take an hour or so (In my case the "so" is applicable.) I have spent hours and hours doing some of those jobs.

In fact, I have spent waaaayyyy too long just looking online for a particular wheel or grill at an angle close enough to work with. If you are requesting some concept work, please remember to provide reference photos if possible.

Can't wait to see what comes through here!

Last edited by unclebrad; 06-04-2022 at 06:02 PM.
unclebrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 01:42 PM   #6
72afr
Beep! Beep!

I'll kick it off, I guess. Nothing fancy, just looking to see what my truck would look like if I removed the faded door mouldings. I tried working through it previously with MS Paint, and well... you could probably guess how that turned out. Either picture is fine, I'm not picky. Thanks for your time!
Attached Images

2019 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon (the wife's baby hauler)
72afr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 03:42 PM   #7
Liz
Catchy title goes here..

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG View Post
I think this thread actually belongs over in the main part of the 67-72 area. .
The reason that is, is because folks won't go where things belong If there was only one truck message area and one parts area, they would say it needs to be split up. I am ok with a ps link on the faq index over there. The thread belongs in general though.
Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 03:47 PM   #8
cwcarpenter98

Eventually, I'm going to give my truck a proper paint job in the original 505 green. How about a Photoshop paint job on both the truck and trailer to give me some motivation?
505 green body, keeping black wheels and white hubcaps, white mirrors, white bumpers.

Thanks!
Attached Images

1963 C10 - Frankentruck 283, 3 speed with overdrive
Overdrive wiring here
1963-ish truck bed trailer - Half-Wit

1981 C10 - Penny 305, th350

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

"I'll put it simple: if you're going hard enough left, you'll find yourself turning right." - Doc Hudson
cwcarpenter98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 08:21 PM   #9
yuccales

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwcarpenter98 View Post
Eventually, I'm going to give my truck a proper paint job in the original 505 green. How about a Photoshop paint job on both the truck and trailer to give me some motivation?
505 green body, keeping black wheels and white hubcaps, white mirrors, white bumpers.

Thanks!
Can't wait to see this. I like your rig and trailer.
yuccales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 10:37 PM   #10
LT7A

Hey unclebrad, you got me thinkin' and I replied here to your last post in our conversation.

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...9&postcount=26

And whoever closed that previous thread, I had already recommended starting a new photoshop thread and the person interested in doing it had agreed that it was a good idea. This new thread got started after that, so I'm sure anything done would have made it over here. I wasn't actually asking for photoshop help and what I did say made a lot more sense in the context of the conversation we were having. Sometimes it's ok to just let things play out.

Last edited by LT7A; 06-07-2022 at 11:13 PM.
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 11:46 PM   #11
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT7A View Post
Hey unclebrad, you got me thinkin' and I replied here to your last post in our conversation.

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...9&postcount=26

And whoever closed that previous thread, I had already recommended starting a new photoshop thread and the person interested in doing it had agreed that it was a good idea. This new thread got started after that, so I'm sure anything done would have made it over here. I wasn't actually asking for photoshop help and what I did say made a lot more sense in the context of the conversation we were having. Sometimes it's ok to just let things play out.
It gets asked enough but not like it used to. Im also a member of the HAMB and they did the same thing quite awhile back. It gets used enough its almost always on the front page. Putting photoshop in the title (here on 67-72) of the thread, (as in can someone photo shop my truck) sometimes worked most times didn't. I have no idea if this will take off ... Hopefully it will, but it took me awhile to find it. I was like what, it got deleted?? I never look at the things in the upper boxes but I suppose because I was searching it caught my eye.

Just need to get a couple of PS folks to lend a hand. I actually liked it when non PS folks jumped in with Paint or something along those lines, got some pretty funny chops.

Old 06-10-2022, 09:44 AM   #12
LT7A

I think it's a great idea and good to have it in an easy to find spot. If people don't mind taking their time to give somebody a vision of what their truck could look like, I think that's really cool.
Old 06-10-2022, 10:10 AM   #13
unclebrad

Like this?

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...1&d=1654869896
Attached Images

Old 06-10-2022, 10:58 AM   #14
72afr
Beep! Beep!

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclebrad View Post
YES! Thank you!
2019 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon (the wife's baby hauler)
72afr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 07:53 PM   #15
unclebrad

Is this close to what youhad in mind?

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...1&d=1654906736
Attached Images

Last edited by unclebrad; 06-10-2022 at 08:23 PM. Reason: more touch up on pic
Old 06-10-2022, 11:19 PM   #16
cwcarpenter98

Quote:

Oh my gosh, that's spectacular. Thank you!!!!!
I gotta take my truck apart, fix all the rust, and do this to it now.

1963 C10 - Frankentruck 283, 3 speed with overdrive
Overdrive wiring here
1963-ish truck bed trailer - Half-Wit

1981 C10 - Penny 305, th350

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

"I'll put it simple: if you're going hard enough left, you'll find yourself turning right." - Doc Hudson
cwcarpenter98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 08:22 PM   #17
yuccales

Quote:

That is awesome. Got some talent there for sure.
yuccales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 06:47 PM   #18
LT7A

Nice work unclebrad. Those both came out really good. I'm intrigued with the late model truck. Do you sample the side of the bed where there aren't any door guards and then reproduce that on the side of the doors? Anyway, looks good, and the green one looks really cool.
Old 06-17-2022, 08:36 PM   #19
unclebrad

Quote:
Nice work unclebrad. Those both came out really good. I'm intrigued with the late model truck. Do you sample the side of the bed where there aren't any door guards and then reproduce that on the side of the doors? Anyway, looks good, and the green one looks really cool.
Thanks.

As I recall, I made a selection of the area I wanted to cover, with some feathering, and then painted the sampled color. Seems to me that I did that with a couple sampled colors to match the curved look.
Old 06-18-2022, 11:39 AM   #20
LT7A

Quote:
Thanks.

As I recall, I made a selection of the area I wanted to cover, with some feathering, and then painted the sampled color. Seems to me that I did that with a couple sampled colors to match the curved look.
I'm not well-versed enough in the terminology to know what all of that means. But it sounds a little tricky, and it came out nice.
Old 06-24-2022, 01:31 PM   #21
unclebrad

Quote:
I'm not well-versed enough in the terminology to know what all of that means. But it sounds a little tricky, and it came out nice.
Not too complicated. I just tried to do it again and wrote the steps down in case you want to try it:

1 – duplicate the background layer just so you have a backup in case something goes wrong. Then make the original background layer invisible.
2 – on the background copy, select polygonal lasso tool and, at the settings bar near the top of the screen (just under the menu bar) change the “feather” setting to 2px so that the edges are going to be a bit blurry. That will allow the edges to blend with the original color of the truck.
3 – using the polygonal lasso, select upper half of the area to paint over.
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...1&d=1656091495
4 – make a new layer on top of the background layer. Name it “upper new paint” or something that makes sense to you.
5 - use the eyedropper to sample the color you want the selected area to be. (the very lightest silver right by the front wheel arch.)
6 – paint the selected area with the paintbrush. The setting should be “normal” and “100%”
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...1&d=1656339800
7 – make a new layer on top of the “upper new paint” layer. Name it “lower new paint” or something that makes sense to you.
8 – select the lower half of the area to paint over. Make sure that the selection overlaps where the first selection was.
9 – use the eyedropper to sample the darker silver color just under where you took the light silver sample.
10 – paint the selected area with the paintbrush.
11 – with the eraser tool set to a small size (I used 1px) and set to 50%, erase the new paint (on both the upper new paint layer and the lower new paint layer) where the door seams are.

Hope this helps!
Attached Images

Last edited by unclebrad; 06-27-2022 at 10:29 AM. Reason: more touch up on pic
Old 07-03-2022, 08:53 AM   #22
LT7A

Thanks! You're still way out in front of me, but that was cool to see the step by step process. I've never really had the desire to learn how to use photoshop, but I'm coming more around to see how it would be cool to try out some things that I envision. Thanks again for the explanation!
Old 07-06-2022, 03:41 PM   #23
unclebrad

Chris,
I tried to send another PM but it looks like your mailbox is full.
Brad
(unclebrad)
Old 07-31-2022, 11:02 AM   #24
unclebrad

Just a reminder that this is the place where members can get their cars all fixed up the way they have been dreaming of, just for the asking. Well, uh, that is, virtually.

Don't get the idea that this is a technical thread about Photoshop, based upon the previous couple of posts. It is not.

Here, there are a few members that like to play with Photoshop, and are eagerly waiting for you to give us a picture of your baby and tell us what you would like to see done to her. (him, them) One or several of us will get to work and give you his (her, their) version of that vision.

If, when you post a request, with the pic of your truck, could you include a couple reference pics, showing the particular wheels, grill, paint color, or whatever, that would save us the time searching for those things ourselves.

Thanks!

Last edited by unclebrad; 08-02-2022 at 07:13 PM.
Old 08-05-2022, 01:57 PM   #25
Liz
Catchy title goes here..

I like this thread, the idea etc.. I need to reinstall ps on this computer,... but.. why can't we do seperate posts in the forum for this as well? I mean you can link it here, but why just one thread?
Liz is offline   Reply With Quote