The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-17-2023, 03:25 PM   #1
Android04

Dana 70 Questions

Can you swap SRW Drums and Shoes onto a DRW Dana 70?

I know the swap would yield an overall difference of 1.3" but just curious if it's possible. We would use the stock DRW Hub to retain the correct bearings. I guess if it would work would the axles have to be shortened?

The goal is to change the wheel track by a little over an inch and this would help without having to spend tons of money or time sourcing a 14bolt FF.

I appreciate any and all help. I've done hours and hours of research. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Android04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2023, 01:50 AM   #2
kwmech

Re: Dana 70 Questions

Axle shafts are the same as the hub is offset in the casting of it. Hub flange mount for the shaft is the same. Been a while since I've done some thing similar, but there was something off with the backing plate and its mounting. I don't remember what I did at the moment as I was working on a 14 bolt, but they use the same hub depending on which 70 you have. I was working with a 70hd
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2023, 01:30 PM   #3
Android04

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwmech View Post
Axle shafts are the same as the hub is offset in the casting of it. Hub flange mount for the shaft is the same. Been a while since I've done some thing similar, but there was something off with the backing plate and its mounting. I don't remember what I did at the moment as I was working on a 14 bolt, but they use the same hub depending on which 70 you have. I was working with a 70hd
I've read you can use the 14b FF drums but you have to mill down the back of the drum because it rubs the backing plate. So maybe that was the issue you were running into as well.

He is working with a 70HD as well, so it sounds like that if it would work I would need to get SRW axles as well.
Android04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2023, 09:49 PM   #4
kwmech

If you are working with a 70hd, there are 2 versions. First is the dually which is about 73''. Then the single wheel which is a little bit of a rarity. Changing hubs does not change axle shaft length.
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote