The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-26-2023, 12:09 AM   #1
Sheepdip

Artificial Intelligence

AI..Off topic for our trucks, but I am really trying to wrap my head around this technology and the more I read, the more confused I get.

A computer geek I am not, but the more I hear/read about this and how it's going to think and make decisions for everyone and I guess the world too it kind of scares me reading what it's supposedly capable of, kinda like a runaway train.

Maybe some of you guy's and gal's in the know can put it into Layman's Terms as to how it works and who programs it. I'm totally dumbfounded as to how this works.

One no brainer positive note is I see where it has enabled a Disabled Veteran to walk again by stimulating his nervous system and muscles

Please keep politics out of this so it won't get shut down, I'd really like to learn something here.
Sheepdip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2023, 08:18 AM   #2
Keith Seymore

Re: Artificial Intelligence

Let's fix spellcheck on my phone (or voice to text), and then worry about AI taking over the world.

K
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2023, 09:10 AM   #3
joedoh

i think what people are afraid of isnt what they should be afraid of. AI will not seek to exterminate humanity or damage the infrastructures or supply chains. instead, it will replace probably 30%-50% of jobs done by the lowest earners, order takers, reception and call center, even market analysts and marketing folk. in turn there will be less need for middle managers and other supervisory positions. that 40%-60% of people with no income potential will be a drag on social services and THAT is where the unrest and threat of danger is.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2023, 10:43 AM   #4
jeffahart

Through entanglement the quantum systems will not only make decisions, but will have the abillity to make humans carry out those decision through entanglemant.

The power of the computational side.
Digital values in a classical computer, are called a “binary digit”, or “bit” for short, but when you assign values to some aspect of a subatomic particle, you call it a “quantum bit”, or “qubit”. A classical bit can only be either a 1 or a 0 at any moment in time, but a qubit, when it’s placed into a state of superposition, can be thought of as being both a 1 and a 0, at the same time. It can have degrees of one-ness, and degrees of zero-ness.

As you entangle more and more qubits together, the ability of the system to make calculations grows not in a linear fashion, but exponentially. It explodes.

Even right now, in it's infantile state, it's extremly powerful at recognizing patterns... and that how it entangles.

So the big question is entanglement, entanglement with "What or Who?"

Powerful and scary stuff for sure.

j
Old 05-26-2023, 10:46 AM   #5
Rich84

I don't know what you just said, but now I'm afraid.
Rich84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2023, 10:51 AM   #6
Ironhorse

joedoh, would have to agree with all that you mentioned. Just this past week I seen a fast food burger style joint on TV that had just opened an experimental AI drive thru lane. While I don't think we will have the "Sky-Net and Exterminator " style future the multi possible applications of AI I don't think will have will have a positive effect on the entry level job market and will result with more drastic results than we can envision.
Original Truck AM/FM
Wellington, Ks
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2023, 11:45 AM   #7
truckin 79

It is not only service workers that will be replaced
Quote:
We asked Pichai what jobs would be disrupted, he said, "knowledge workers." People like writers, accountants, architects and, ironically, software engineers. AI writes computer code too.
[/QUOTE]
Also AI is learning things that some programmers do not fully understand.
Quote:
Of the AI issues we talked about, the most mysterious is called emergent properties. Some AI systems are teaching themselves skills that they weren't expected to have. How this happens is not well understood. For example, one Google AI program adapted, on its own, after it was prompted in the language of Bangladesh, which it was not trained to know.
Quote:
Sundar Pichai: There is an aspect of this which we call-- all of us in the field call it as a "black box." You know, you don't fully understand. And you can't quite tell why it said this, or why it got wrong. We have some ideas, and our ability to understand this gets better over time. But that's where the state of the art is.
Scott Pelley: You don't fully understand how it works. And yet, you've turned it loose on society?
Sundar Pichai: Yeah. Let me put it this way. I don't think we fully understand how a human mind works either.
Can/could AI become self aware, anything is possible
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/google-...pt-2023-04-16/
Old 05-26-2023, 12:04 PM   #8
joedoh

I mean, as a small business guy, 90% of my time is talking on the phone or messages. if i hired someone to do that so i could do the 10% repeatable work that earns the money, I would be paying for 90% of someone elses time so I could take that 90% away from me, and the pay would be lopsied like that too. but if AI knew my business, could analyze the patterns in questions the way I can (seeing where someone is leading with their questions, drilling down to the correct solution) and not cost me more than the 30 bucks a months ChatGPT premium costs, well that would be a godsend to me and bad news for the local job market.

CEOs see this same thing. how can it increase my bottom line for essentially free? having someone to ask the right questions to ChatGPT, even if they made 10 times the salary of one former worker.... worth it right? remember the movie 9to5? an entire floor of people typing in duplicate, triplicate, transcribing notes. replaced by a single desktop and copier. this is the same thing, on the next level of workers. one computer educated worker replaced that whole floor of typists. one AI worker will replace an entire floor of computer skilled workers.

thats the thing to be afraid of in my opinion.

what could it possibly do with self awareness? there is no way to impact manufacturing, or even build the skynet robots with any kind of repeatability.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2023, 12:05 PM   #9
weq92f

Great. In the future I'll be faced with the frustration of having an AI f**k up my order and absolutely no clue how to make sure it doesn't happen again!

Great.

-klb
99 540 sport V8 6sp -- sold
73 240z L24 4sp -- given to friend
68 C10 step 350/350 3.73 open -- sold
weq92f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2023, 12:41 PM   #10
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Quote:
Originally Posted by weq92f View Post

Great. In the future I'll be faced with the frustration of having an AI f**k up my order and absolutely no clue how to make sure it doesn't happen again!

Great.

-klb
Nothing can go wrong...go wrong...go wrong...

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2023, 02:47 PM   #11
jeffahart

Let’s use the restaurant example to see where Automation ends and AI really begins. A lot of gray area here. But to see what’s coming down the pike for us we need to look at things a bit differently. But not to differently or it becomes really confusing and too far out to contemplate. I know I’ve written here before about humans as an impedance to decision making. And we like to think we’re always in charge, we’re making the decision, or implementing software and solutions that make decisions based on input and pathways we choose to implement. But the bigger question is, who is behind the push, what do they have to gain. I’m certain it’s not making life easier through restaurant automation.

So, the restaurant example.

The robot waiter:

Scenario 1 - It asks your order, you tell it, it brings your food. (Food service automation.)

Scenario 2 – it asks your order, you tell it. The robot suggests a different menu item, because the system knows you have high cholesterol. You tell it to bring what you asked. It complies and you get your food. (Food service automation)

Scenario 3 - Robot asks your order, you tell it. This time the robot refuses your order. You must order from the low cholesterol menu items only, else you are able to order nothing. Only low Cholesterol menu items for you! (still food service automation)

Scenario 4 – the manager comes over to your table and asks you to leave the restaurant. You ask why, he says he doesn’t know why, the system made the decision you must leave now. (AI)

In scenario 4 (a negative scenario, does not have to be negative, could have been a free burger). The point is, a judgement decision was made by an AI system and carried out by a human with no ability for the human to override the decision.

We’re all comfortable with systems helping humans make decisions in a normal decision support fashion. It’s what we’re used to and it’s fitting and proper.

It’s the scary gray area of systems making judgement decisions and forcing humans to carry them out, through sanctions and whatever means.

Be careful of the potential end goal: ultimate obedience, and utility of compliance.

What do I mean? If you are forced to get a lobotomy you will become obedient and docile, but you will be useless and lack utility. But what if there’s another way, an easier way to achieve obedience and useful compliance. How about you get to be smart?

You want to interface your brain with an AI system? You, I, everyone, will know everything the computer knows. The computer will know everything you know, you will know everything I know, and I will know everything you know. At that point, exactly what are we?

Food for thought.

j

Last edited by jeffahart; 05-26-2023 at 02:53 PM.
jeffahart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2023, 03:11 PM   #12
Dead Parrot

Two decades ago online shopping was going to change how we buy things. It kinda did.
About a decade ago, Crypto currency was going to change how we did finance. Not so much.
A few years ago, Blockchain was going to change almost everything about things done on a computer. Not so much.
Now it is AI that is all the rage. I suspect it will find a lot of uses but only after a lot of embarrassing failures.

Just be careful what you connect it to: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coloss...Forbin_Project
Dead Parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2023, 03:19 PM   #13
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

there is nothing intelligent about artificial intelligence there is way too much of this crap out there , hell its hard to talk to a human anymore and those computers are like my ex wife tells you nothing you want to know and hears just what it wants to hear and ignores everything else

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2023, 03:34 PM   #14
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich84 View Post
I don't know what you just said, but now I'm afraid.
That makes two of us. I don't understand all this stuff. I can't even figure out my remote control.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

2015 Corvette Z51 2021 Corvette Z51 1991 Cadillac Hearse 1982 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 2000 Porsche Boxster S 2020 Jeep Gladiator 1973 VW Thing 1973 Plymouth Satellite wagon 1963 Baja Bug 1959 Bug Dune Buggy 1970 Baja Bug 1987 Jaguar XJ 350.

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Every day is a gift from God.
FleetsidePaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2023, 03:38 PM   #15
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

Why would US firms build fixed and mobile AI centers in Iraqi Kurdistan? https://shafaq.com/en/Kurdistan/KRG-...ed-by-US-firms

Members met: ORANGBLAZ, 2003 silverado, MikeCofield, BB72CHEVKT, Duncan&Son, Sameyrasmea72, THENEWMEXICAN, HotRod C/10, brianthelion02, Sport/Truck, ryanroo, michael bustamante, Dirt's72, Already Gone, WestButteTruck, 57taskforce, Moreyel, painterljp, AASmedic, SoCoC10, Lumaestas, carbuff382, Chevyland
DeadheadNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2023, 03:44 PM   #16
weq92f

Quote:
Originally Posted by old Rusty C10 View Post
there is nothing intelligent about artificial intelligence there is way too much of this crap out there , hell its hard to talk to a human anymore and those computers are like my ex wife tells you nothing you want to know and hears just what it wants to hear and ignores everything else
This right here. "...tells you nothing you want to know and hears just what it wants to hear and ignores everything else."

When these types of systems became the norm, we as humans lost something very important. Control. The companies that use them lost something very important. Accountability. The import of these things is attached to the end user, not the provider and so what we have here is a win-win for the provider.

Advance into the AI driven future and you'll see that we as consumers will have been served up the very, very short end of the stick and there will be absolutely nothing we can do about it.

I guess one good thing regarding waiter robots and other service industry AI solutions will be...no tip required.

-klb
Old 05-26-2023, 05:11 PM   #17
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Unless the AI is so smart as to figure out the distribution of electrical power and armor it, we can just pull the plug. Stone Age, anyone?

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2023, 12:51 AM   #18
68bowtie

I really don’t know much about it. That said, I do see a lot of companies “claiming” to have AI, using that for marketing. For example, a drone programmed to survey a building, generate a 3D model, and identify deformations. That’s a really cool robot, with really slick programming, but that’s not AI bruh. It’s an advanced robot.

Project "Little Sister" (70 c10 blue original paint refresh)
Project "C10 Fever" (68 factory black 396 swb)
Project "Blue Bomb" (70 c30 blue original paint refresh)
Project "Vitamin C" (71 c10 orange original paint refresh)
68bowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2023, 01:10 AM   #19
Sheepdip

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadheadNM View Post
Why would US firms build fixed and mobile AI centers in Iraqi Kurdistan? https://shafaq.com/en/Kurdistan/KRG-...ed-by-US-firms
Good Question.
Old 05-27-2023, 03:48 AM   #20
Richard

Elon Musk recently spoke up on this topic. Even though his cars are moving in that direction. It appears he has hesitation. If I post any links it may get to political. Do a search.
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2023, 09:54 AM   #21
Keith Seymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68bowtie View Post
I really don’t know much about it. That said, I do see a lot of companies “claiming” to have AI, using that for marketing. For example, a drone programmed to survey a building, generate a 3D model, and identify deformations. That’s a really cool robot, with really slick programming, but that’s not AI bruh. It’s an advanced robot.
I guess if it was truly AI, then it would come up with corrections for the deformations and then implement them all on its own.

K
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2023, 01:20 PM   #22
68bowtie

Exactly

Project "Little Sister" (70 c10 blue original paint refresh)
Project "C10 Fever" (68 factory black 396 swb)
Project "Blue Bomb" (70 c30 blue original paint refresh)
Project "Vitamin C" (71 c10 orange original paint refresh)
68bowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2023, 04:01 PM   #23
Sheepdip

AI evidently can now fix or at least combat antibiotic resistant infections now.

https://www.foxnews.com/tech/scienti...ant-infections
Old 05-27-2023, 08:10 PM   #24
weq92f

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepdip View Post
AI evidently can now fix or at least combat antibiotic resistant infections now.

https://www.foxnews.com/tech/scienti...ant-infections
Seems to me "AI" in this case is very loosely defined. It is mentioned twice in the article ( three times if you count the title ).

I don't believe this was actual AI in action here but rather a good algorithm and lots of "training" data derived from a ton of manual work done by the scientists. They talk about then feeding their "model" with this data and then comparing that to a host of other compounds using their algorithm.

This sounds like standard computing...not AI.

-klb
Old 05-28-2023, 08:31 AM   #25
Sheepdip

Found this article to be somewhat informative, gives me a little better grasp of what's going on with and how AI operates.

https://www.foxnews.com/tech/what-is...l-intelligence