The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-01-2023, 04:37 PM   #1
Chevy nutcase

Why shouldn't I buy this??

I'm always on FB marketplace looking for a variety of old stuff and their algorithm showed me this. Was listed about 2 days ago and I'm astonished it's still available. Guy said his dad drove it into storage 35 years ago and that's pretty much the sum of the sellers knowledge of it. No rust except a tiny hole in driver side front fender and the interior is a little ratty. He has it listed for $8000 but after asking questions he just blurts out he'd tak 7k so I could probably get it for 6k. I need another project like a hole in my head but a 33 2 door doesn't come up for sale very often
Attached Images

Chevy nutcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 04:51 PM   #2
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: Why shouldn't I buy this??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy nutcase View Post
I'm always on FB marketplace looking for a variety of old stuff and their algorithm showed me this. Was listed about 2 days ago and I'm astonished it's still available. Guy said his dad drove it into storage 35 years ago and that's pretty much the sum of the sellers knowledge of it. No rust except a tiny hole in driver side front fender and the interior is a little ratty. He has it listed for $8000 but after asking questions he just blurts out he'd tak 7k so I could probably get it for 6k. I need another project like a hole in my head but a 33 2 door doesn't come up for sale very often

Up until '35 they had a lot of wood in them. If I remember correctly the doors are basically sheet metal nailed to a wood inner structure. A friend of mine bought a '34 in about the same shape and if you lifted up on the back of the doors they would rack pretty bad. I would check that out in person and make sure all of the doors open and close like they should.. His was a 4 door so the 2 door shouldn't be as much of a problem.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 04:57 PM   #3
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

I can't think of one reason not to get it. But I'm the wrong guy to ask.

It's really cool. Good luck.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

2015 Corvette Z51 2021 Corvette Z51 1991 Cadillac Hearse 1982 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 2000 Porsche Boxster S 2020 Jeep Gladiator 1973 VW Thing 1973 Plymouth Satellite wagon 1963 Baja Bug 1959 Bug Dune Buggy 1970 Baja Bug 1987 Jaguar XJ 350.

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Every day is a gift from God.
FleetsidePaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 05:44 PM   #4
Chevy nutcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
Up until '35 they had a lot of wood in them. If I remember correctly the doors are basically sheet metal nailed to a wood inner structure. A friend of mine bought a '34 in about the same shape and if you lifted up on the back of the doors they would rack pretty bad. I would check that out in person and make sure all of the doors open and close like they should.. His was a 4 door so the 2 door shouldn't be as much of a problem.

LockDoc
Yes I'm aware Chevrolet kept using wood in the bodies but according to the owner it's in good shape and not dry rotted. He's getting interior pics as we speak and depending on what I see I will likely be going to see it Saturday or Sunday. If this is in fairly good shape I don't know how I'll be able to not get it
Old 06-01-2023, 06:29 PM   #5
truckster

Why shouldn't you get it? If you can't put groceries on the table if you buy it, that would be a good reason. Otherwise I can't think of any.
Old 06-02-2023, 12:08 AM   #6
1970 CST Short Wide
Senior Moment

So what are you waiting for????
2019 GMC Diesil Dually. Youngest Son
2017 Toyota SUV Daughters car
2018 Traverse , Wife’s Ride
Pittsburg Ca
1970 CST Short Wide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 03:59 AM   #7
Chevy nutcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1970 CST Short Wide View Post
So what are you waiting for????
Moar pictures
Old 06-02-2023, 06:10 AM   #8
special-K
Special Order

You need that.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 02:08 AM   #9
Chevy nutcase

Well I got pictures of the interior and wowie zowie. I never saw the innards of one of these and I knew there was wood but it's ALL wood and by the looks in pretty deplorable condition. This is a shame and a pass from me
Attached Images

Old 06-04-2023, 05:57 AM   #10
Micmac

I can see why, looks like a job for Terminex. Sad to see when these old rigs die.
1947 Indian Chief Roadmaster with Sidecar.
2012 Indian Chief Serial #002 of 110 built in '12
2016 Indian Chief Roadmaster
Micmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 07:19 AM   #11
special-K
Special Order

Doesn't look so bad to me. I understand that's not something you want to get into, but people repair that wood and these cars do get saved. Someone will save this one.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 08:03 AM   #12
Chevy nutcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
Doesn't look so bad to me. I understand that's not something you want to get into, but people repair that wood and these cars do get saved. Someone will save this one.
It may not be beyond salvageable but to a guy like me it is with a 2 car garage. I wish I could be the one to bring it back but needing a body off restoration I just don't have the capability. Believe me when I say that I wish I did
Old 06-04-2023, 09:02 AM   #13
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Those are neat cars. You need metal skills and wood skills to bring one back to life. Guy I worked for had one, sedan delivery style, it was a finished street rod. Always surprises me how small they (cars from that era) are inside.

Monroe Swap meet May 18-19.
Mike has the same spots for the NW guys he's had forever.
Lunch time BBQ at the spaces.
If you have stuff to sell bring it along.

If you have a question PM stllookn (Mike) here via the board.

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=851291
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 10:34 AM   #14
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy nutcase View Post
Well I got pictures of the interior and wowie zowie. I never saw the innards of one of these and I knew there was wood but it's ALL wood and by the looks in pretty deplorable condition. This is a shame and a pass from me

That's why I suggested looking at it close and mentioned that the doors were a metal skin nailed to a wood inner structure.. It doesn't matter how good the body looks on the Chevy cars before 1935 they can still present some real challenges. I have seen where some street rodders have replaced all of the wood with a metal inner structure. That works good but it is a lot of work....

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 11:44 AM   #15
Chevy nutcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
That's why I suggested looking at it close and mentioned that the doors were a metal skin nailed to a wood inner structure.. It doesn't matter how good the body looks on the Chevy cars before 1935 they can still present some real challenges. I have seen where some street rodders have replaced all of the wood with a metal inner structure. That works good but it is a lot of work....

LockDoc
I briefly considered doing just that and realized it's not a lot of work, it's an insane amount of work. The door handles and window cranks are all supported by wood. Another thing to consider is the considerable weight you'd be adding. I'm just as much a woodworker as I am a mechanic but this setup just seems like a terrible design and it's no wonder the model As are much more sought after
Old 06-04-2023, 12:48 PM   #16
tutone

Back in the early 90s, I got bit by the street rod bug. Like you and many others, I picked out a few of my favorite body styles and off-a-shopping I went. Among them was a 1934 chevy, and a model a ford and 37-40 ford coupes. I tried to veer away from other manf cars because the aftermarket didn't support the hobby for some cars. I found out you could find pre 37 Chevies lots cheaper than Fords. Henry had figured out before then, that wood was a thorn in their side. I never ended up with an early chevy because of that. I built a 38 chevy coupe. Very little wood. I do have a friend with a 34 chevy. Org paint, wood, interior and all. Solid as heck but it never weathered the elements. Saving one is a different ball game.
1955 210 2 dr sedan/1998 RCSB Z71
tutone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 12:54 PM   #17
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

Sometimes too much is just that. Just too much.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

2015 Corvette Z51 2021 Corvette Z51 1991 Cadillac Hearse 1982 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 2000 Porsche Boxster S 2020 Jeep Gladiator 1973 VW Thing 1973 Plymouth Satellite wagon 1963 Baja Bug 1959 Bug Dune Buggy 1970 Baja Bug 1987 Jaguar XJ 350.

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Every day is a gift from God.
FleetsidePaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 12:58 PM   #18
Ziegelsteinfaust

If you really want a hole in the head. I suggest using sharp drill bit.

Either if you have the room to store. Away from the wife if applicable. Get it.

Worst case scenario say its for her, and act distraught when she gets mad.

I suggest covering your eyes, and gently poking them till you tear up. It really sells the how hurt you are.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 01:09 PM   #19
Chevy nutcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by tutone View Post
Back in the early 90s, I got bit by the street rod bug. Like you and many others, I picked out a few of my favorite body styles and off-a-shopping I went. Among them was a 1934 chevy, and a model a ford and 37-40 ford coupes. I tried to veer away from other manf cars because the aftermarket didn't support the hobby for some cars. I found out you could find pre 37 Chevies lots cheaper than Fords. Henry had figured out before then, that wood was a thorn in their side. I never ended up with an early chevy because of that. I built a 38 chevy coupe. Very little wood. I do have a friend with a 34 chevy. Org paint, wood, interior and all. Solid as heck but it never weathered the elements. Saving one is a different ball game.
Oddly enough I recently saw a model A in slightly better shape and the guy wanted 8500. Not a bad price but a bit more than I wanted to spend on another project. I live and breathe GM but those are cool cars worth anyone's time. Oh well I'll keep my eyes open while I focus on my truck for now