The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-09-2012, 02:48 AM   #26
jeboblasto

Re: 67 c10 - aka "the heavy chevy" mk II

thanks a lot, been working more lately so i may make some headway. I had to get a new battery, which i suppose is an important thing to have. Should be getting some parts next payday and get cracking on at least one side of the front suspension. I will also be painting the body (slowly but surely), should be able to make it look a bit better. The previous owner just hosed it down over rust etc. so it's not going to be perfect. Some day i will get it done properly. also got my jackstands on sale, which i am pretty stoked about. cheers

Name:  120620142500.jpg
Views: 791
Size:  65.8 KB
jeboblasto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 12:09 AM   #27
jeboblasto

Slowly chipping away at repainting the roof, semi-gloss white this time. Going to do one more coat, and then wet sand and a couple coats of clear on top. I did a poor job last year, so i think i've got it beat this time. I have to force myself not to be too picky, as i'm rattle can painting over the previous owners work. Some day down the road i'll do it or get it done right. Stereo install is not quite done, but is very close. In a few weeks i hope to attack the front ball joints and upper control arm bushings. I am also going to put the stock radio or at least the face of it into the dash so i have the look of original somewhat. Hoping to get a start on painting the body and am considering changing from black to red primer type situation. we'll see.

Name:  IMG_6186.jpg
Views: 752
Size:  53.1 KB

Name:  IMG_6176.jpg
Views: 769
Size:  62.7 KB

Name:  IMG_6179.jpg
Views: 742
Size:  40.9 KB
Old 08-05-2012, 08:02 PM   #28
jeboblasto

Well, the day finally arrived where i actually tried some real, actual mechanic type stuff. Original plan, replace upper control arm bushings, and ball joints on front. Do to some screw ups on my part ( mainly due to that let's be honest here ) i am doing the lower ball joints as well, and it's probably a good idea for sure. I am super broke still, and seems to be how things will be for maybe another year, but i am doing well enough i can start doing some truck work. I can see why people get under their truck and go hog wild and replace everything. I'd love to, but i will have to wait for that. I cut my brake hose as i was having trouble removing it, and it had a good sized gash in it. Lessons #1 - disconnect ball joints from spindle before disconnecting from control arm. The upper was giving me fits, so i chiseled the rivets, punched them out, and eventually got annoyed and angle grinder-ed the top part of the ball joint right off. It was sketchy at first, but turned out great, as my dad had loaned me the perfect tool to punch the ball joint out of the spindle. This was my more major screw up, and is all part of learning, i think. Lesson #2 - when you have more time than money, you are often forced to actually learn something, which makes you richer in some manner or other. Well, I'm stoked to be making slow headway at last. I'm rambling but kind of stoked. Also had to knock off the small spot weld on the upper control arm bushing in order to fully disassemble. May get my welding friend to redo it when the new ones in. Ciao for now. ps was going to put a few pics but it's not working right now, will try again.
Old 08-05-2012, 08:34 PM   #29
jeboblasto

Name:  IMG_6191.jpg
Views: 683
Size:  48.5 KB

Name:  IMG_6192.jpg
Views: 684
Size:  50.6 KB
haha take that ball joint!
Name:  IMG_6208.jpg
Views: 665
Size:  32.6 KB

Name:  IMG_6209.jpg
Views: 676
Size:  63.7 KB

Name:  IMG_6210.jpg
Views: 669
Size:  43.3 KB
Old 08-10-2012, 12:20 AM   #30
jeboblasto

Slowly, but surely. Tomorrow, going to pick up my parts for one side at least. ( upper bj, lower bj, upper control arm bushing etc. ) and hopefully get it all put together again! Just need to see if i can pick up a new flexi brake hose as well, as the old one is toast. Very stoked to get this done, and my confidence is greatly improved as this is the first real project i will have completed. Hope to update that it's all done very soon. cheers

Name:  IMG_6213.jpg
Views: 637
Size:  84.2 KB

Name:  IMG_6214.jpg
Views: 651
Size:  88.4 KB
Old 08-11-2012, 12:30 AM   #31
jeboblasto

Ball joints in and on, greased and ready to go. Will get it all back together tomorrow hopefully, but still need new brake hoses. May have to order them in. Very happy i'm almost done this side. Got Moog parts too for a reasonable price ( for canada at least ) One more pic today.

Name:  IMG_6219.jpg
Views: 666
Size:  73.0 KB
Old 08-19-2012, 01:35 AM   #32
jeboblasto

done like dinner. Got one side done, so maybe done like brunch. Drove to work today just to feel it out, very much improved but still can feel the sloppyness on the drivers side now. Glad i did the other side though, it was pretty scary to drive for awhile there. Now that i'm less freaked out about working on the suspension, i will tackle some more upgrades, one at a time until i have some sort of mechanically sound vehicle. Might rattle of the drivers side in the next couple weeks as i may have opportunity to use the driveway again. Should be way faster this time round.

Name:  -1.jpg
Views: 617
Size:  38.8 KB
Old 08-19-2012, 04:25 PM   #33
Tinkermc

looks very nice
Tinkermc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 02:46 AM   #34
jeboblasto

thanks, for me i am very pleased. compared to the amazing trucks on this site, it's very budget, but that's ok for now.
Old 10-09-2012, 03:26 AM   #35
jeboblasto

My Dad took the grinder to this bumper, sanded, primed and painted it. Looks pretty awesome, might be the nicest part of my truck once i get it on. Think it's from newer model ( maybe 80's?) so will need to get some brackets or make some up/modify some. Drove 3 hour trip for thanksgiving, truck is handling way better now.
Name:  IMG_6305.jpg
Views: 577
Size:  62.2 KB

Name:  -1.jpg
Views: 578
Size:  48.6 KB

will post once i get it on there. also had someone last week who commented, " Is that a police truck?" due to the colour. Never thought of that, pretty funny.
Old 11-24-2012, 10:23 PM   #36
jeboblasto

found this ad in my area, $500 for a 68, on an island off the coast of another island, but i was so stoked i had to post something somewhere.

http://www.usedvictoria.com/classifi...g-box_18570477
Old 04-02-2013, 01:50 AM   #37
jeboblasto

and the fun continues...
had to replace my alternator, had a loose connection to battery, at the alt terminal, as well as a belt rubbing ( my fault ) and roasted it. Got a new refurbished for a decent price and with awesome service at Brian Roberts Auto Electrical, www.brae.ca , if anybody is in victoria bc and needs a good place to go. Got it all back together and it is working and charging! To me, a victory. Next up, service and check the rear diff, spark plugs, and valve cover gaskets. i will be off work for surgery in the summer and will be able to attack a few other things then. i have no budget still, will claw away at what i can.

Name:  130401170800.jpg
Views: 481
Size:  44.7 KB
Old 08-08-2013, 11:52 PM   #38
jeboblasto

Wellity, wellity, wellity....it's been awhile. I have had my surgery, and am at the later stages of recovery and am feeling good enough to do some cheap repairs/upgrades as i am making 'off work for surgery' kind of money. Yesterday i got my stereo back online, as i had disconnected it when i had my battery problems previously. Today, i installed a temporary but functioning horn button in my dash. I will eventually get the proper horn function on the steering wheel, but for my current situation this was easier. The old horn was in fact toast, so having a horn is pretty awesome after being without for awhile. I took a pic of the new horn, but it makes the rest of my rad support and inner front end look even more rusty than i realized. I've really enjoyed and appreciated the thread that has the sub $50 "budget mods".
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=466563
I'm going to tap into those soon. also a pic of my truck with "eyes" as in from the movie Cars. My landlords kids are crazy about that show so i gave them a surprise one day. haha. worth the time for sure.
Name:  IMG_6509.jpg
Views: 454
Size:  75.6 KB
Old 08-10-2013, 07:30 PM   #39
gdavis

Before you start with another seat. Let us know so we can buy stock in the tape company. It had to go up. Good luck there my friend

Cars I owned in the past.
1962 chev II Nova - 1965 Chevelle SS - (2)1966 Chevelle SS 1965 chev C10 57 belair chev
1967 Chevelle SS - 1969 Chevelle SS - 1972 Chevelle SS

1967 Buick electra 225 1995 Harley Davidson bager

What does not kill you will make you stronger

1968 c10 short wheel base stepper
gdavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 08:28 PM   #40
jeboblasto

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdavis View Post
Before you start with another seat. Let us know so we can buy stock in the tape company. It had to go up. Good luck there my friend
That's is pretty strange timing on that one, haha. i just took my seats out and cleaned up the cab a bit. I got some black denim for under 10 bucks and decided not to sew anything after talking to a couple of upholstery guys. THey were pretty nice and gave me a piece of foam for my seat, and a tool for hog rings for free! Put a piece of carpet and a few other things i had on hand into it, but i'm fairly happy with the result. I am only wanting it to last long enough for me to afford some seat covers. Lots of work even without sewing. I cut out the floor mats on the passender side as they were nasty, and uncovered the floor. Not as solid a cab as i thought which sucks, but it could be worse. It's tough looking at all these sweet trucks on here, but i am learning something which is pretty valuable. I will slowly win the battle.

so don't buy stock in duct tape now, or if you did sell asap. hopefully you'll make a quick profit.

Attachment 1140609
Old 08-13-2013, 08:32 PM   #41
jeboblasto

Name:  IMG_6835.jpg
Views: 407
Size:  66.9 KB

pics, had trouble with last post
Old 08-13-2013, 09:03 PM   #42
jeboblasto

found some more speed holes...Name:  IMG_6836.jpg
Views: 404
Size:  50.0 KB
Old 08-17-2013, 01:54 AM   #43
jeboblasto

Got the back/top of seat done, and managed to avoid sewing or having to buy other fabric. The piece of black denim i got was in the ultra cheapo bin at the fabric/sewing store ( under 10 bucks ). Got some eyelets to put in for the corners and also used zap straps for much of the back. This has to be one of the easiest seats to put fabric on as it's mostly straight and flat, no wierd angles. It was still a bit of work but i'm pretty happy with the result, not perfect but is an improvement and will do until i can afford some new covers.
Name:  IMG_6871_2.jpg
Views: 401
Size:  55.5 KB
ps. has anybody driven without the back of the seat in? Tall fellas should at least try it, it's super comfortable and you get the 'gangster lean' going if you're into that sort of thing. Not sure if it's legal or not, but i think a seat is somewhat a luxury item and seatbelts are the main safety item. I don't really think it's a good idea, but if you're tall it was awesome. I'm 6' 4", ( or 5' 16" when i'm trying to be humble ) and it felt like i was driving a cadillac, except way better. cheers.

boom!
Old 06-09-2014, 07:45 PM   #44
jeboblasto

So...recently... opened up the diff, replaced oil, additive for limited slip ( was having problems with dragging tires in turns ), and sold the bed/box. Now i have extra motivation and opportunity to get at it. Have taken the grinder to the outside edges ( top, outside and bottome ) and painted with rust nuking paint, and today added a layer of gloss black tremclad Undercoating was all peeling off and everything is rusty as heck, or was. Am going to replace the upper coil spring mounts as they are in rough shape. But first....finish grinding and painting frame, build flat bed, and sort out tail lights. Pretty stoked right now. Also took off muffler/tailpipes and sanded and painted them to further their lifespan a bit. As usual, i have more time than money, so i'm doing things the hard way, but it is educational. I find it a strange paradox of modern life, when you can afford it you will more likely get someone else to do the work for you, but when you can't afford it you learn and prove you can do something yourself which makes you richer in other ways. Anywho...once flatbed is started or done, i can still get at the suspension etc and get a lot done this summer. Stoked!
[ATTACH]Name:  IMG_7365_2.jpg
Views: 351
Size:  60.9 KB[/ATTACH]
Attached Images

Old 06-16-2014, 01:27 AM   #45
thelonerife

Nice work!
thelonerife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 10:34 PM   #46
jeboblasto

Thanks! lots of work to be done.
Old 06-21-2014, 01:33 AM   #47
jeboblasto

got the frame scraping, grinding, sanding and painting done (rear) and am pretty happy about the result. Need to replace at least one upper coil spring mount as one is badly rusted, hope to fix that asap. Am prepping my tail/reverse lights with solder/tape and have decided on my plan of action for the flat bed. Very excited to get it done. Swap meet this weekend, hoping to pick up some rear bumper brackets for the bumper i have ready to go.
Name:  IMG_7396.jpg
Views: 348
Size:  71.7 KB
Old 06-28-2014, 01:53 AM   #48
jeboblasto

tail light assembly done, not tested yet, but need to fix/replace signal switch in steering column and get bumper brackets for the bumper i have. This will be done in the next week or so and i'll be back safe and on the road! here is the setup of the tail/reverse lights. excited to get flat bed done.Name:  0626141238-001.jpg
Views: 361
Size:  57.2 KB also need to replace rear tires that are toast from dragging tires due to rear diff issue. I had to replace lubricant/gasket and add limited slip additive which fixed the problem. Not sure if P.O. messed up or it was just old. No damage to it that i could see, which is very fortunate.
Old 06-28-2014, 06:16 PM   #49
low&slow
Account Suspended

Coming along nice. Subscribed on this one
low&slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 03:48 AM   #50
jeboblasto

cheers! i work slowly, but hope to get a lot done this summer. thanks.