The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-23-2004, 04:26 PM   #1
mister.freeze

I'm crazy, right? A better rear hatch?

Has there ever been an attempt at fitting a 73+ tailgat to a 1st Gen Blazer? Having that available electric windo would be awesome. I've pondered it, and I don't think I have the facilities (or skill) to do the body and fibergalss work it would take. Plus, the angle of the tailgate to top is way different. One of my plans is to replace the rear hatch with a single pane of glass (like new trucks, mostly Jap and Ford). Fairly simple, and would run abut $300. But it would certainly look clean. Being able to roll down that back windo, though, would be so much cooler.
Old 03-25-2004, 02:36 AM   #2
kiley

Hatch

I have though it would be cool to figure out how to make a hatch like the late model suburbans and tahoes. The whole back end goes up like a mini van. I Oregon that's important because of all the rain. It's nice to stand under something when your fishing or camping and the rain comes around.
kiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2004, 03:09 AM   #3
1969 GMC

the problem(s) with the glass that goes into the tailgate is 1) the tailgate of 67-72 are simply not thick enough. fitting a 73-91 tailgate would, IMO, look very tacky. you could cut the inner panel out of the 67-72 tailgate to fit everything in there and make a cover of some sort, but then you could not use your tailgate for anything. also, 2) 90% of Blazers and Broncos I've seen with the electric roll down rear glass is broken. i always assume vehicles that have power locks are on a countdown to failing, and the electric rear glass is even worse it seems.

but still, a very intriguing idea.
1969 GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2004, 03:45 AM   #4
70short/step

I had a mag that had a 72 Blazer with this very thing done and it looked Awesome!! I think I gave the mag to my brother. I will see if he still has it and try and scan a pic of it. If I remember correctly the guy had used a 73 tailgate and graphted it to the original outer skin of the 72. It looked super clean and original. But It also looked like it took a ton of work.
70short/step
70short/step is offline   Reply With Quote