The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-02-2023, 08:48 PM   #1
dooguy

Windshield washer pump

Do you have to remove wiper motor to replace washer pump on a 72 Chevy
dooguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2023, 12:14 AM   #2
RustyPile

Re: Windshield washer pump

It can be done, but it's biotch to do it that way.. The pump bolts to the motor, it's just difficult to access those little bolts.. Removing the seat gives you room to lay out on the floor while reaching up under the dash..

Here's an alternative method I used if you're interested.. Install a "universal reservoir" with the pump attached to it.. Disconnect the wires at the OG pump and route the wires from the new pump to that plug.. The new pump will be activated from the original wiper switch.

The plus to doing it this way is all the water lines are now outside the cab, no more wet carpet from a leaky hose or pump..

[EDIT] If you go this route, it's not necessary to remove the old pump..
RustyPile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2023, 07:57 AM   #3
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

I agree, getting the wiper motor out to get to the pump it a biotch! I did it and while I had it out ended up only replacing the weather seals for the motor. I believe even once you get the original "fixed" it will just end up going bad/leak again.

So I put a external pump on my reservoir. It isn't very hard to do, IMO.

'72 Chevy C10 Cheyenne *Super WHT/MED BRONZE/WHT
SBC 350 | TH350 | LWB | AC | Buddy Seats
Upgrades: Tilt | Front Sway Bar | Radio | Sliding Window | Bed Spare w/Lock
Bed Rails | Full LEDs | Courtesy Lights | Tachometer | Glovebox Lock & Light | Head Light Relays | *Upgraded Fully Super Trim
Rich72C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2023, 10:44 AM   #4
67C10Step

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyPile View Post
It can be done, but it's biotch to do it that way.. The pump bolts to the motor, it's just difficult to access those little bolts.. Removing the seat gives you room to lay out on the floor while reaching up under the dash..

Here's an alternative method I used if you're interested.. Install a "universal reservoir" with the pump attached to it.. Disconnect the wires at the OG pump and route the wires from the new pump to that plug.. The new pump will be activated from the original wiper switch.

The plus to doing it this way is all the water lines are now outside the cab, no more wet carpet from a leaky hose or pump..

Instead of rebuilding my old pump this is the route I took. This is an early 1990's S10 reservoir with pump, if I remember correctly. Made a short wiring harness, routed it through the fender with the fluid hose, and even used one of the holes in the firewall grommet for the old hoses as the pass through for the wiring. I think it pumps better than the old units ever did.
Attached Images

2020 Toyota CH-R
2020 Acura MDX
67C10Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2023, 01:59 PM   #5
54blackhornet

Nice work ! Looks factory
Old 11-03-2023, 04:58 PM   #6
dooguy

Thanks for replies looks like it’s unanimous, mount pump in engine bay. Looks like Frank’s PICKMUPS sells a kit
Old 11-03-2023, 05:02 PM   #7
dooguy

Anyone have a cure for wipers to return to home(low on windshield) without cycling wiper switch
Old 11-03-2023, 06:28 PM   #8
RustyPile

Quote:
Originally Posted by dooguy View Post
Anyone have a cure for wipers to return to home(low on windshield) without cycling wiper switch
The wiper motor has a built-in park switch.. When you turn the wipers off at the wiper switch, the wipers will continue to run until the blades reach the park position. The built-in park switch then turns the wiper motor off.. If the wipers stop immediately upon turning off the wiper switch, the park switch inside the wiper motor is defective..
RustyPile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2023, 07:53 PM   #9
ratty69

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67C10Step View Post
Instead of rebuilding my old pump this is the route I took. This is an early 1990's S10 reservoir with pump, if I remember correctly. Made a short wiring harness, routed it through the fender with the fluid hose, and even used one of the holes in the firewall grommet for the old hoses as the pass through for the wiring. I think it pumps better than the old units ever did.
That is EXACTLY what I did with mine too. 88-93 s10 reservoir and pump assembly.

The full size trucks of the same era used a similar but larger reservoir.

The s10 reservoirs are available new, AFAIK the full size reservoirs are NOT.
ratty69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2023, 10:07 PM   #10
MS66

Quote:

Best way! ^^^ Getting to that wiper motor is some Houdini shyte!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67C10Step View Post
Two thumbs up.

Quote:
The wiper motor has a built-in park switch.. When you turn the wipers off at the wiper switch, the wipers will continue to run until the blades reach the park position. The built-in park switch then turns the wiper motor off.. If the wipers stop immediately upon turning off the wiper switch, the park switch inside the wiper motor is defective..
I've had some old Chevies do that, so far my current truck isn't.
MS66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2023, 11:03 PM   #11
tim_mc

I installed an aftermarket pump on my wiper motor trying to keep it stock-ish, but since that pump has died I'll be going the route of 67C10Step and installing an '88-93 S10 reservoir with pump in the engine bay. This will simplify the hoses and keep any potential leaks outside of the cab. RockAuto has the pump electrical connector for <$4, and the complete tank with pump for $22.
Old 11-03-2023, 11:11 PM   #12
3757chevy

I just wired in a universal inline pump to my stock reservoir. I've done it to three different trucks over the years.
Attached Images

MIKE
3757chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2023, 10:10 AM   #13
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim_mc View Post
I installed an aftermarket pump on my wiper motor trying to keep it stock-ish, but since that pump has died I'll be going the route of 67C10Step and installing an '88-93 S10 reservoir with pump in the engine bay. This will simplify the hoses and keep any potential leaks outside of the cab. RockAuto has the pump electrical connector for <$4, and the complete tank with pump for $22.
Actually, this is the route I started to take. Once I spent the time mounting a pump on it and was getting it back under the dash I started to think: "it will suck when this pump dies" and pivoted to a cheap tank/pump off Amazon. After a few months I ended up disliking it has it kept popping off its cheap little mount. So 3rd version was to get a pump off eBay (don't recall its brand) and fitted to the tank that came with the truck. I been happy ever since this last "version".

Pretty sure I spent way to much time and money on this LOL.
Attached Images

Bed Rails | Full LEDs | Courtesy Lights | Tachometer | Glovebox Lock & Light | Head Light Relays | *Upgraded Fully Super Trim
Old 11-04-2023, 11:27 AM   #14
NorCalC20LWB

Same mod here, works great and you don't have to access the pump/motor up under the dash in the future if there is a problem. PITA to get up in there, especially with AC.
Attached Images

NorCalC20LWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2023, 07:51 PM   #15
3757chevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich72C10 View Post
Actually, this is the route I started to take. Once I spent the time mounting a pump on it and was getting it back under the dash I started to think: "it will suck when this pump dies" and pivoted to a cheap tank/pump off Amazon. After a few months I ended up disliking it has it kept popping off its cheap little mount. So 3rd version was to get a pump off eBay (don't recall its brand) and fitted to the tank that came with the truck. I been happy ever since this last "version".

Pretty sure I spent way to much time and money on this LOL.
I tried that but it leaked out of the hole/grommet [I probably drilled the hole too big]. So I got another tank and went with the inline version, I like the idea of the stock filter on the pickup as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalC20LWB View Post
Same mod here, works great and you don't have to access the pump/motor up under the dash in the future if there is a problem. PITA to get up in there, especially with AC.
I made a bracket behind the tank hiding the pump under the fender to keep the stock look to under the hood. Even got creative and ran the wires to the stock plugin through a piece of vacuum tubing to hide them.
MIKE
3757chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2023, 11:20 AM   #16
tim_mc

Good info! The aftermarket pump shown by 3757Chevy is like the one I had mounted to my wiper motor when I rebuilt my '67. I checked for 12V at the washer pump connector which is good, so I removed the pump and sure enough it's dead. I pulled the hoses out of the cab and found some rubber plugs to put into the firewall grommet for now. I save plastic caps and rubber bumpers just for projects like this. I'm still sold on the S10 tank, pump and connector as the original jug is loose in its bracket and needs a couple of cable ties to keep it snug.

As others have done, the plan is to wire in two 18ga. male blade connectors, use the OEM washer pump electrical connector and fish the wiring with the hose through the left fender. I might also add a check valve to keep the washer fluid from draining out of the lines. For less than $40, it will be a fun, easy project, clean up the engine bay a bit and provide easier access if/when the pump dies.
Old 11-05-2023, 09:31 PM   #17
dmjlambert

When you guys use one of these universal electric pumps, what do you do about splitting the output hose into 2 hoses for each side of windshield? Is adding a tee from something like drip sprinkler OK? Are there any clever ideas for getting the wire through the firewall?
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2023, 09:36 PM   #18
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

I just used a T near the firewall before they go into the cowl to the spouts. If I recall correctly I used a T from my vacuum kit.

As for the power, I just ran it through the nearest hole from the original location under the dash.

Old 11-06-2023, 10:33 AM   #19
67C10Step

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmjlambert View Post
When you guys use one of these universal electric pumps, what do you do about splitting the output hose into 2 hoses for each side of windshield? Is adding a tee from something like drip sprinkler OK? Are there any clever ideas for getting the wire through the firewall?
I did the same and used a vacuum line Tee near the edge of the firewall and fender. It is sort of out of site.

As for the wiring, when you move all the washer hose lines under the hood you now have three holes in a grommet going through the firewall that were once used for those. I ran the wiring through the fender with the hose, then into the wiring gutter on the firewall, and through one of those holes. Plus, it put the wiring coming through pretty close to where it needed to plug in anyway.

I can get some photos if it would help.
2020 Toyota CH-R
2020 Acura MDX
67C10Step is offline   Reply With Quote