The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-30-2012, 11:45 AM   #1
monte0185

AWD Square body (Concept)

I was pondering the idea of making a streetable AWD square body. ANyone ever seen one that wasnt a drag truck. My idea was to take like a 2007 and up escalade (I have one which is what made me think of it.) and maybe modify the square frame with the suspension and axle setup off the front of the escalade the using a 6.2 motor and tranny to power it all. Would like to be able to keep it low to the ground at the same time. Just a thought thats been wandering around in my brain and wanted to see if anyone has heard of such a thing.

Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together.
monte0185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 12:22 PM   #2
ghettoluxury

Re: AWD Square body (Concept)

It would be a very cool project.

1949 Five Window, 1973 Step Side, 2000 Z71
ghettoluxury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 12:27 PM   #3
cfan10

Seems like a lot of work, but it would be sweet. Good luck.
Posted via Mobile Device
cfan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 01:28 PM   #4
BigBlocksRule

Getting the frame to match up with body would be the biggest challenge.
I have a current project that's kinda along these lines. Mine is a short wide dually 4WD, sits on a frame with a 1-ton front clip, cab & chassis rear (allows for much bigger tubs and wider wheels) and 1-ton dually rear end. Biggest problem is tires, I think I'm going to build custom wheels with a dually center and 15" hoops so I can use all the tires that are available for 15" rims. Engine is pump gas 565, should be around 725hp N/A.
BigBlocksRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 01:37 PM   #5
Pro Performance

I think that would be a sweet project and something different. You can get the AWD drive to sit low, but would take some creativity. Here is one that Pacific Coast Customs is working on (maybe finished by now), that lays on the ground with the AWD.

You can see how they did theirs with the air ride suspension, and might help when planning yours out, if you do move forward with it.

AWD Denali
Pro Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 01:38 PM   #6
monte0185

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlocksRule View Post
Getting the frame to match up with body would be the biggest challenge.
I have a current project that's kinda along these lines. Mine is a short wide dually 4WD, sits on a frame with a 1-ton front clip, cab & chassis rear (allows for much bigger tubs and wider wheels) and 1-ton dually rear end. Biggest problem is tires, I think I'm going to build custom wheels with a dually center and 15" hoops so I can use all the tires that are available for 15" rims. Engine is pump gas 565, should be around 725hp N/A.
Sounds sweet. The frame is one of those things ive been kinda wondering if it would be easier to adapt the new frame to my body or just fab up the front section to mount all the all wheel drive components. not sure if the front engine cradel/crossmember unbolts like ours or if its welded in place. I really need to do somemore research. maybe find a couple donor frames since my wife wont let me chop up her escalade. lol.

Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together.
Old 05-30-2012, 01:47 PM   #7
monte0185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Performance View Post
I think that would be a sweet project and something different. You can get the AWD drive to sit low, but would take some creativity. Here is one that Pacific Coast Customs is working on (maybe finished by now), that lays on the ground with the AWD.

You can see how they did theirs with the air ride suspension, and might help when planning yours out, if you do move forward with it.

AWD Denali
Have to look at that at home. pics dont work real well on facebook here at work. Im mainly wanting it for the traction factor cause i was thinking of doing road courses in my truck and i love the pro touring concept. In fact I wish nate would finish up the pro-touring version of his drop member. Wanna do coilovers on all four corners of my truck just though if i could somehow make it all wheel drive without the old school leaf spring 4wd setup keep it tubular a-arm and low and mean then that would be icing on the cake!!

Old 05-30-2012, 07:30 PM   #8
ghettoluxury

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte0185 View Post
Sounds sweet. The frame is one of those things ive been kinda wondering if it would be easier to adapt the new frame to my body or just fab up the front section to mount all the all wheel drive components. not sure if the front engine cradel/crossmember unbolts like ours or if its welded in place. I really need to do somemore research. maybe find a couple donor frames since my wife wont let me chop up her escalade. lol.
The suspension on 88 up is all welded to the frame.

1949 Five Window, 1973 Step Side, 2000 Z71
ghettoluxury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 07:42 PM   #9
monte0185

Gonna be interesting that's for sure.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old 05-30-2012, 10:04 PM   #10
Axleman

Take a look at a AWD Trailblazer SS front axle setup. Would be much easier to use than grafting the AWD front suspension/axle from a truck onto your frame.
Axleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 08:52 AM   #11
monte0185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axleman View Post
Take a look at a AWD Trailblazer SS front axle setup. Would be much easier to use than grafting the AWD front suspension/axle from a truck onto your frame.
Ill have to look into that. might be a closer wheelbase match as well if i wanted to just use frame and all.

Old 05-31-2012, 09:35 AM   #12
BigBlocksRule

I found that GM used front and back stubs from '88 up. They weld together just about under your feet. That's how I'm mating the 1-ton 4WD front to the C&C 2WD rearend. I planned to junk the back part of the 4WD and the front part of the C&C, so I just torched mine close and cleaned 'em up with everything else out of the way, wasn't hard at all. I have mine ready to weld, just gotta get 'em to a pro's shop for welding. He's going to put my 4-link and shock brackets on at the same time, that's the hold-up at this point.
Old 05-31-2012, 12:05 PM   #13
monte0185

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlocksRule View Post
I found that GM used front and back stubs from '88 up. They weld together just about under your feet. That's how I'm mating the 1-ton 4WD front to the C&C 2WD rearend. I planned to junk the back part of the 4WD and the front part of the C&C, so I just torched mine close and cleaned 'em up with everything else out of the way, wasn't hard at all. I have mine ready to weld, just gotta get 'em to a pro's shop for welding. He's going to put my 4-link and shock brackets on at the same time, that's the hold-up at this point.
Got any pics??? Would love to see them.

Old 05-31-2012, 01:37 PM   #14
BigBlocksRule

If I think about it, I'll shoot a couple at the shop later.
Old 05-31-2012, 09:57 PM   #15
hatzie

73-79 had the NP203 full time 4wd system. The 203 is very heavy. The late model AWD transfer case is probably much lighter.

If you're not looking to use IFS from the later models you could use the late 6.2 engine, trans, and AWD transfer case in your square frame with an early full time 4wd solid front axle.
1972 Ford F250 FE390, NP435/NP205 SOLD
1976 Chevy K20, 6.5L, NV4500/NP208 SOLD
1986 M1008 CUCV SOLD
2000 GMC C2500, TD6.5L, NV4500
2005 Chevy Silverado LS 2500HD 6.0L 4L80E/NP263
2009 Impala SS LS4 V8

RTFM... GM Parts Books, GM Schematics, GM service manuals, and GM training materials...Please include at least the year and model in your threads. It'll be easier to answer your questions.
And please let us know if and how your repairs were successful.
hatzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 10:09 PM   #16
Axleman

...I suppose you could do a body swap with the whole Trailblazer chassis but that was not what I meant. On the AWD Trailblazer SS, the front axle is mounted to the oilpan (not the frame) so there is nothing to fab up to get an axle in there especially if you are planning to already use an LS engine. The only thing that would need to be done is to make some room to get the halfshafts from the axle out to the knuckles and switch the knuckles out for some with a splined ID that would accept the halfshafts. For the knuckles I think you could use GM minivan (Astro/Safari) AWD knuckles.
Axleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 10:19 PM   #17
monte0185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axleman View Post
...I suppose you could do a body swap with the whole Trailblazer chassis but that was not what I meant. On the AWD Trailblazer SS, the front axle is mounted to the oilpan (not the frame) so there is nothing to fab up to get an axle in there especially if you are planning to already use an LS engine. The only thing that would need to be done is to make some room to get the halfshafts from the axle out to the knuckles and switch the knuckles out for some with a splined ID that would accept the halfshafts. For the knuckles I think you could use GM minivan (Astro/Safari) AWD knuckles.
Ahh IC IC said the blind man. That's a good idea especially since I plan on using ifs.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old 06-01-2012, 12:03 PM   #18
Pyrotechnic

Unhappy Re: AWD Square body (Concept)

I saw a Nissan 240sx with an LS1 that had an awd conversion much like what is described above using a trailblazer oil pan and diff.

If you can make clearance for the diff and half shafts, then you need to move the spring somewhere else. A coil over outside the a arms should work. You could try spindles from a 66-78 E body fwd full size car. These will have the 5x5 pattern that is correct for these trucks and they were pretty big cars so they just might be similar enough in size to work.

The only thing about this method is that custom half shafts will be required an rear gearing will need to be matched to the front.

A cheaper yet more fabrication heavy method would be to find a 88-98 4x4 donor vehicle. Graft the front frame section into the 73-87 frame. Your choice if you want to convert to outboard coil overs or try to use the torsion bars. Take the 88-98 rear axle and move the shock mounts and spring perches so it will work under the 73-87 frame. This eliminates any custom half shafts which means you use all stock front end parts and your gearing will already be matched. This also puts you at 6 lug, but you can get 6 lug rallys if you like stock, theres tons of newer 6 lug factory wheels floating around, and the aftermarket is booming with lots of 6 lug wheels too. Also, you're not tied to using an LS motor with the method since the front differential is seperate and attatched to the frame so you can run a small block or big block if you like.

Either way, make sure you have lots of time and money for this one.
Posted via Mobile Device