The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 60-66 Suburbans

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-04-2014, 12:07 AM   #1
65chevysub

removing the "doghouse"

I know there is a thread on here somewhere, but how do I remove the doghouse on my Burb? I had the fenders, hood, grill and support off a couple of months ago, but would like to remove everything so I can clean and paint the firewall, etc. Are there pictures that I can print down for referenc?
Thanks
65chevysub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 08:43 PM   #2
WEBBY1

Re: removing the "doghouse"

Dog house? Removing the front clip all in one piece
WEBBY1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 08:36 AM   #3
65chevysub

Yeah, that's what I'm looking for. Sorry, I should have been more specific.
Old 11-08-2014, 07:15 PM   #4
65chevysub

Anyone know what it takes to remove the front clip in one piece? Since my truck doesn't do good on gas, until I get a new trans, I might as well pull the front off of it and get it ready for the new paint(original Blue-#537)
Thanks
Old 11-09-2014, 10:34 PM   #5
jonzcustomshop
1961 crewcab

ok-
here you go-
pull the fender extensions off (between the hood and fender) 4 bolts each side 1/2 inch.
under these should be a flat water dam bolted to the fender with 2 7/16 bolts- these need to come of so that the fender can slide forward -sometimes these are already missing.
now ,top of the fender each side 2 9/16 bolts (try to keep track of the shims, you will need them when it goes back together.
while you have the 9/16 handy get the 1 bolt each side under the lower fender.
next -still with the 9/16 get the upper fender well to firewall bolts, 2 each side.
inside the fender well (behind the tire) on the driver side you will find a 1/2 (maybe its a 7/16) inch bolt in the back corner bolting it to the firewall. while you are there grab a 3/8 and pull the cover off that surrounds the steering column shaft, I think 5 bolts: then to the other side for the other firewall bolt.
unplug your hood and firewall wiring harnesses on the drivers side.

now some tricky stuff, you can wiggle it off without pulling the front bumper, but I don't suggest it, so pull the bumper. I always find it easier to leave the 2 outside braces bolted to the bumper, and just unbolt them from the frame, I think these are all 3/4 and 11/16.
next, you can also leave the radiator attached to the motor, and resting in the frame mount, but if there is a shroud, that needs to come off, or at least get unbolted...
the top radiator mount has to come off-4 1/2 bolts. as with the bumper it is easier if the whole unit is just pulled out and out of the way.

last is the core support bolts, pretty sure they are 5/8, you will need a screwdriver to bend the bolt retaining tab out of the way.
this is another spot that I have had issues. sometimes the rubber and washers are rusted to the bolt., you will have the nut, retaining washer, a thick washer, the rubber, and another thick washer. sometimes you can pry them loose, one time I had to use a floor jack and a 2X4 to push it through.

you are now ready to pull the clip.
if you have 2 friends, you could leave the hood on.
if not I suggest pulling the hood, you can usually get it off by yourself without tearing anything up, but I have never been able to put one back on by myself without scratching stuff up.
if you are still by yourself you can tilt the front end forward and set it on the ground - I had a little stool I balanced it on, and then got it down from there.
same deal with the whole front clip, I was able to work it back on by myself, but I scratched stuff up to do it....
hope all this makes sense and helps!
jonzcustomshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 10:49 PM   #6
65chevysub

Thanks JCS. This should help me quite a bit. I'm actually looking forward to getting it all apart to work on it.