The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-26-2021, 01:49 PM   #1
zimspad

Mustang II Control Arm Slip

I am using a Mustang II setup on my 51 AD and have had the upper control arm slip 3 times in 5k miles. I know what your first thought is, I didn't have it properly tightened 3 times. While that was probably the cast the first time, fairly confident it wasn't the second time, and I personally supervised the torquing of all 4 nuts to factory specs the third time. It is a Heidts unit. I am using factory hardware, not after market T-bolts. The spring perches have no damage or warping that could cause them to slip. I have done some searching and found that others have had this problem, one even references a "retainer" that they made, but have found no specifics on how to remedy the problem. Anyone dealt with this and found a solution that works?
zimspad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 12:19 PM   #2
Ziegelsteinfaust

Re: Mustang II Control Arm Slip

I have heard it is fairly common on heavier vehicles. As my dad has a nice M2 set up 35 truck frame, and a couple of friends he has in the know have mentioned it.

I have ideas on how it could be solved, but it would require surgery to the top mount.

But the simplest fix would be use 2 bolts or studs threaded into a stop. That could keep pressure on the hold down bolts or nuts.

My personal fav if the A arm mounting holes could be rotated 90*. Is to build or modify the mount you do have to use compression against the mount like C10's do. But depending on spring choices this could get complicated quick.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 04:47 PM   #3
whitedog76

Try using Nord-Lock washers. You can order them through Grainger, Fastenal, etc...

https://www.nord-lock.com/en-us/nord...iAAEgKl8PD_BwE
whitedog76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 05:47 PM   #4
zimspad

Thanks whitedog. That's a very interesting solution and if it works will be easy to implement. Will definitely give them a try.
zimspad is offline   Reply With Quote