The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-07-2021, 12:30 PM   #1
wazzabie

How do you know when your body mounts are bad?

How do you know when your body mounts are bad?
wazzabie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 04:35 PM   #2
James Lamb

Re: How do you know when your body mounts are bad?

Have not been on the forum in awhile, just seeing this, so you've hopefully replaced those things by now. If you have a square body truck they are now 30+ years old, and trust me, they are bad.

I've just replaced the ones on my '89 Suburban. After years I finally found the weird metal on metal noise I keep hearing at odd times - that's now much the gem rubber was compressed. Some of the mounts were like old rubber bands left in the sun, not only deflated, but stuck to the steel inserts like glue.

And it does make a noticeable difference to the amount of rattling. Was not as bad to replace as I expected, except for the one near the rear tire where the captive bolt was 1/2 rusted through. Replacing that was a little more work.
1959 Triumph TR3A
James Lamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 11:45 PM   #3
wazzabie

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Lamb View Post
Have not been on the forum in awhile, just seeing this, so you've hopefully replaced those things by now. If you have a square body truck they are now 30+ years old, and trust me, they are bad.

I've just replaced the ones on my '89 Suburban. After years I finally found the weird metal on metal noise I keep hearing at odd times - that's now much the gem rubber was compressed. Some of the mounts were like old rubber bands left in the sun, not only deflated, but stuck to the steel inserts like glue.

And it does make a noticeable difference to the amount of rattling. Was not as bad to replace as I expected, except for the one near the rear tire where the captive bolt was 1/2 rusted through. Replacing that was a little more work.
Did you use the poly mounts or the stock style mounts?
wazzabie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 11:16 AM   #4
James Lamb

I used polyurethane ones. I've seen all the arguments for and against polyurethane. Honestly, you could put a ham sandwich in there and it would work better than 30+ year old rubber. Main reason I went with urethane is they are designed to not need the internal metal supports the rubber ones used, and which are both highly corroded and semi-permanently bonded to the old nasty rubber. You reuse the large concave "washers" that are on top of a few of the mounts like the ones on the sides under the doors, and my kit came with new large washers for the others. I had to order 4 bolts from LMC Truck as some of the bolts were very badly rusted, and the bolts are not all the same.

It made a marked improvement in ride quality. The teeth-rattling jar when hitting a bump on the highway is gone. And I had already replaced all the springs and all the shocks. Surprising how much difference it made really.
1959 Triumph TR3A
James Lamb is offline   Reply With Quote