The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-25-2021, 06:46 AM   #1
feller

What to do

A few years back I bought a 72 c10, was going to strip the body, while tearing it down i realized that it was all original. It does need the usual rockers, floor patches, and cab corners. Also the frame had a nasty repair right above the rear axle, it was rusted out and someone welded 1/2" plate and a socket to keep the coil spring in place. At this stage I was still planning on harvesting body parts and maybe some frame mounts. Then a few months back I got a wrecked frame for $80 the damage was up front with the majority of the rails looking fine, i did have to cut it to get it loaded on my utility trailer.
Now for the delima, I don't plan on keeping the truck, i know welding will have to be done to the frame. So do I keep it a long bed and show pictures of what it was and why I did it, or do I just chop it down to a short bed and take my chances that potential buyers will just accept what I have done?

I know there are plenty of options on long vs short, personally I am in the long camp, but I am not planning to keep it, and it seems that shorts sell a little quicker, and sometimes for a little more. I also understand that there is always the potential for the buyer to say, "well, you should have done "X" and id be all in". Any options would help. Thanks
feller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 10:20 AM   #2
HO455
Post Whore

Re: What to do

Quote:
Originally Posted by feller View Post
I also understand that there is always the potential for the buyer to say, "well, you should have done "X" and id be all in". Any options would help. Thanks
That's the story any time you're trying to sell a rig. It's part of the dance between buyers and sellers.
I think your feelings about short bed desirability are correct. There are so many shortened trucks nowadays the stigma for most buyers is gone as long as the workmanship is good.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 11:01 AM   #3
Big Kev-O

Sounds like the truck needs a lot of work. I don't think there is any point is converting it to a short bed unless you complete all the repairs. Buyers are not usually willing to spend much on a project. I would pack it all up the way it is and try and recoup what you spent. The only way to get decent money would be get it complete or at least ready for paint. You would spend a lot of time & money completing those repairs.
Old 10-25-2021, 08:51 PM   #4
feller

Big kev, that was my intent, to have it ready for paint, either a roller or with a 350/350 combo, nothing too crazy, or an option for either roller or running.

HO, I was hoping that the stigma of a chopped frame was pretty much gone, I personally feel it's whatever a person wants, and if a numbers matching, all original ride is what they want, have fun finding and paying for it, I hope they get what they want, truly not being a smart-A. I really mean it.

My first experiences with these trucks was my dads old c30, and it had been shortened to accommodate an 8 (or so) foot flatbed and it hauled everything we ever put on it, it had been welded, and had 1/4" plate welded and bolted inside and outside of the frame rails.

Thanks guys.
Old 10-25-2021, 09:01 PM   #5
dmjlambert

I like a long bed. Can you post pictures of it?
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 06:13 AM   #6
feller

Currently it's in pieces, but I have a couple from when I got it home.
Old 10-26-2021, 10:45 AM   #7
feller

There's one
Attached Images

Old 10-26-2021, 11:26 AM   #8
feller

More, in the 2nd pic you can see the "awesome" repair
Attached Images