The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-18-2016, 04:14 AM   #26
Spry69

Re: Drop spindles and increased track width..

Well the 1.5" springs are going back in and my two credit cards are full! I got the "approval" from the misses to call Porterbuilt and order some goodies. "It's an investment dear.." Actually she is very supportive of my truck addiction, most of the time.
Talked with Dave at PB, and he helped me work out exactly what I wanted. He was extremely helpful and knowledgeable about all things C-10. Great experience.
I went with their stage 2 front kit, and an extreme dropmember rear. I'm going to run the bags with the schraeder valve setup for now.
Decided on the stage two with the 1" narrowed control arms. We figured that about $1300 of the $1600 worth of parts would cross over onto the front drop member if I end up going that way down the road.
On the rear, almost none of the stage two rear would cross over, so I spent the additional $200 to get the drop member now.
Really excited to get the project under way. Should arrive around the end of March. Until then time to clean the garage and work some overtime to pay the credit cards.
Old 02-18-2016, 07:35 AM   #27
PGSigns

Sounds like a good plan. The waiting will be tough. Kind of like how many days till Christmas when your a kid.
Jimmy
1966 BBW long fleet Daily driver
1965 BBW short fleet Sold and going to a good home
1965 Suburban
2003 3500 Duramax
2005 Ultra Classic
PGSigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 09:11 AM   #28
chevy2tom

I haven't pulled the trigger on my front from porterbuilt for my 64 yet. Did you get the deluxe stage 2 front kit? Does that come with upper & lower arms? Did you go 1" in & 1" forward on the arms? With the McGaughys disc kit I think I'd need the 63 70 ball joints. So what's not used when you swap over to the dropmember? Sorry for so many questions I gotta call porterbuilt lol
chevy2tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 10:33 PM   #29
Spry69

"Sounds like a good plan. The waiting will be tough. Kind of like how many days till Christmas when your a kid.
Jimmy"

Definitely will be a hard wait. I just finished up waiting the six weeks for my wheels, too bad I didn't plan a little better. Oh well, it will give me time to strip down the truck and clean and paint the frame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy2tom View Post
I haven't pulled the trigger on my front from porterbuilt for my 64 yet. Did you get the deluxe stage 2 front kit? Does that come with upper & lower arms? Did you go 1" in & 1" forward on the arms? With the McGaughys disc kit I think I'd need the 63 70 ball joints. So what's not used when you swap over to the dropmember? Sorry for so many questions I gotta call porterbuilt lol
No worries about questions. I had all the same questions myself.
I went with the stage 2 deluxe front. The deluxe comes with the upper control arms. That is the only difference between the stage 2 standard and deluxe. Per the recommendation of Dave at PB, I went with 1" narrowed only. I want to end up with a front drop member, so if you do the 1" forward now with the stage 2, then when i switch to the drop member the wheels will be too far forward. If you want to stay with the stage 2 front, then go with the 1" forward to center your wheels. The 1" narrower option would depend on what your set up needs.
When changing from the stage 2 to the front drop member, everything crosses over except for the shocks and shock relocation brackets I believe.
In the rear I went with the drop member instead of the stage 2 rear because Dave said almost none of the stage 2 rear would cross over. I think just the bags. So I felt it was worth a few hundred more to not have to waste money later.
As far as ball joints, you'll need whatever set up you have. I got the 73-87 joints with the front kit. I'm going to get the CPP spindles to gain back the 3/4" on my track width. For now, I will just need to get new tie rod ends for a 73-87 as well. Any other questions, I'll do my best to help out.
Old 02-19-2016, 02:11 AM   #30
american revolution

i went with porterbuilt a arms pushed 1" in and centered..rear mild set up think stage 2...all accuair setup.

cpp modular but the braking is soft....i probably should have went with wildwood setup for brakes
Attached Images

american revolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 03:05 AM   #31
Paul Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by american revolution View Post
i went with porterbuilt a arms pushed 1" in and centered..rear mild set up think stage 2...all accuair setup.

cpp modular but the braking is soft....i probably should have went with wildwood setup for brakes
That Sir is an very nice looking truck. Well done.

P.
Paul Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 03:39 AM   #32
Spry69

Quote:
Originally Posted by american revolution View Post

Right on! Looks great.
Old 02-19-2016, 08:50 AM   #33
chevy2tom

Good looking truck AR, is that picture aired out?
chevy2tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 05:59 PM   #34
american revolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy2tom View Post
Good looking truck AR, is that picture aired out?

yes I think it is aired out.....I went with going as low as you can without messing with inner fenders...back bed or hood hinges.

still use truck for home depot runs...helping friends move etc...
american revolution is offline   Reply With Quote