The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board > 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans and PanelsProjects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-26-2020, 10:06 AM   #1
polishspy

Re: Project: '72 Family Hauler

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG View Post
Where did you guys get your 40 and 31 gallon tanks? Or at least what year and model truck they came out of ... Thanks.
Gas tank (40 gal, 82-91 burb), got it off ebay for $115, it is internally baffled which is nice.
polishspy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 09:37 PM   #2
shearjs

I’ve taken a break from wiring to work on the fuel system. I have everything needed but just need to make it fit and put all the pieces together. It looks like this 31 gallon tank should fit well. I also bought an Aeromotive Stealth 340 to swap into the Blazer tank stock sending unit. While everything is apart l, it seems like the perfect time to install the Deadend Garage c-notch that I’ve had for way too long now. The Burb was lowered when I bought it so I’m not quite sure what size drop springs are on the rear. They feel pretty sloppy with the added weight of the Burb over a truck. I’m considering going to a taller spring (4” drop) and using a lowering block to make up the difference and allow for more spring travel. Does anyone have recommendations on a coil spring now that ECE is no longer in business??
Attached Images

shearjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 06:27 AM   #3
04ls1gto

I originally had 5" truck rear springs and it rode terrible. Cpp has a 4.5"hd spring ment for the suburban, swapped to that and rides great now
04ls1gto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 04:21 PM   #4
shearjs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04ls1gto View Post
I originally had 5" truck rear springs and it rode terrible. Cpp has a 4.5"hd spring ment for the suburban, swapped to that and rides great now
That’s good to hear. Are the HD springs thicker than the regular drop springs or are they just taller? The pictures from their website all look the same.
Old 04-30-2020, 05:50 PM   #5
04ls1gto

I knew I had a pic somewhere
Attached Images

04ls1gto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 10:47 PM   #6
shearjs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04ls1gto View Post
I knew I had a pic somewhere
Looks like a major difference. It’s easy to see why your ride quality improved!
Old 05-06-2020, 11:56 AM   #7
shearjs

What began as a mostly simple fuel tank install turned into a cnotch install, which turned into a rear end cleanup, which turned into a full rear end rebuild and disc brake conversion. These are all things that I had planned on doing eventually, but I figure I might as well dive in while it’s all apart. I likely scraped off 10 lbs of gunk and dirt from the rear end. I’ve been doing a little research to determine exactly what gear combination and traction device would give me the ride I’m looking for. With a final gear ratio of .75 on the 4l60, a 29.3” tire height, and 3.73 ring and pinion, I should be around 2096 rpm at 70 mph. My old GMC was around 2350 rpm at 70 and that felt a little high for my preference. I’m currently trying to decide between the Eaton Posi and Eaton Detroit Truetrac and leaning toward the Truetrac. Does anyone have any prior experience that might persuade one over the other?
Attached Images

Last edited by shearjs; 05-06-2020 at 01:41 PM.