The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-07-2024, 08:58 AM   #26
alderan33

Re: Borgeson Steering Box

Hey guys. I installed a new Borgeson steering box and rag joint. I centered the box as directed and installed. I turned the wheels left and right and noticed that the left turn is significantly sharper than the right. The wheels were in the same location as when I pulled the pitman arm. I removed the pitman arm and attempted to rotate it to compensate and find a closer center but it can only be rotated in 90 degree increments. And 90 degrees is way too far causing clearance issues with everything else down the line. I know the steering box is centered as it has that tight sweet spot in the middle. I don't think rotating the steering box back to the right before reinstalling the rag joint would be a good idea. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks for any help.
alderan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2024, 11:21 AM   #27
pjmoreland

Quote:
Originally Posted by alderan33 View Post
Hey guys. I installed a new Borgeson steering box and rag joint. I centered the box as directed and installed. I turned the wheels left and right and noticed that the left turn is significantly sharper than the right. The wheels were in the same location as when I pulled the pitman arm. I removed the pitman arm and attempted to rotate it to compensate and find a closer center but it can only be rotated in 90 degree increments. And 90 degrees is way too far causing clearance issues with everything else down the line. I know the steering box is centered as it has that tight sweet spot in the middle. I don't think rotating the steering box back to the right before reinstalling the rag joint would be a good idea. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks for any help.
Did yours sit flat against the frame rail, or do you have a gap between the frame rail and mounting surfaces on the gearbox like I showed in my post earlier in this thread? Having a gap would cause the steering to be uneven.
pjmoreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 02:01 PM   #28
Hart_Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjmoreland View Post
Did yours sit flat against the frame rail, or do you have a gap between the frame rail and mounting surfaces on the gearbox like I showed in my post earlier in this thread? Having a gap would cause the steering to be uneven.
I'm not sure about Alderan, but I purchased one and yes, there is an 1/8th gap between the frame and the gearbox. I called Borgeson this morning and they said yes, they had a few issues with that, . They suggested that I shim it out to make it fit.... I'm not totatly opposed to shimming it based on thoughts from the group. However, it's ridiculous to have to shim a brand new $500 part to make it fit, maybe I'm wrong. He said return it if I wanted a refund. Not sure what to do here, thinking about going to a redhead. Thoughts?
Attached Images

Last edited by Hart_Rod; 03-25-2024 at 03:07 PM.
Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 02:23 PM   #29
pjmoreland

That 1/8" gap is why I went to town with a grinder on mine. I probably voided the warranty by doing that, but I wasn't willing to use spacers. I would have gone with a Redhead if I had known about this issue ahead of time.
Old 03-25-2024, 03:12 PM   #30
Hart_Rod

Quote:
That 1/8" gap is why I went to town with a grinder on mine. I probably voided the warranty by doing that, but I wasn't willing to use spacers. I would have gone with a Redhead if I had known about this issue ahead of time.
I agree on knowing ahead of time, I wouldn't have either. Now I'm debating on going through the hassle of sending it back and then ordering a Redhead. Why did you choose grinding over using spacers? I posted pictures of mine.
Attached Images

Old 03-25-2024, 03:16 PM   #31
pjmoreland

Mostly, it just would have bugged me having spacers there from an aesthetic standpoint. It's probably a small enough shift that it wouldn't have a significant impact on the steering geometry.
Old 03-26-2024, 12:57 PM   #32
Bloodhound

I personally would send that back and get a Redhead, which I have and love btw. But if the Redhead came like that I would have sent that back too. That is unacceptable.
Bloodhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 02:00 PM   #33
RustyPile

Three years ago, I installed power steering on my '71, where previously there was none.. I installed a Cardone reman gear box per their instructions.. I've had absolutely zero problems with it... Cost me less than $400 for everything including gear box, pitman arm, idler arm, pump and hoses....
RustyPile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 03:18 PM   #34
Hart_Rod

Quote:
Mostly, it just would have bugged me having spacers there from an aesthetic standpoint. It's probably a small enough shift that it wouldn't have a significant impact on the steering geometry.
I ended up using 4 1/8" hardened washers and they are not very noticeable. This tells me there machining must be wrong. Hopefully I have no issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodhound View Post
I personally would send that back and get a Redhead, which I have and love btw. But if the Redhead came like that I would have sent that back too. That is unacceptable.
I probably should have, but I have read the Redhead has issues also and they only have a one year warranty, Borgeson has a 3 year warranty. Hopefully I won't need it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyPile View Post
Three years ago, I installed power steering on my '71, where previously there was none.. I installed a Cardone reman gear box per their instructions.. I've had absolutely zero problems with it... Cost me less than $400 for everything including gear box, pitman arm, idler arm, pump and hoses....
Not a bad option, but I really do like the lower ratio steering boxes (lock to lock). And with the quality of parts EVERYWHERE, I may have not been any better off.

I had an AGR box on the truck to begin with and the only reason I had to replace the box is that while doing my engine swap, I needed to turn the wheels. As I was turning them, I heard a pop. I thought it was something in my tilt column, but it ended up being something inside the AGR box . Does anyone know if they sell a rebuild kit for the AGR boxes? Are they even still in business? I couldn't find their website
Attached Images

Last edited by Hart_Rod; 03-28-2024 at 01:02 PM.
Old 03-28-2024, 10:41 AM   #35
pound41

I have a 1971 blazer 4x4 and a 1975 K10. Eventually I will replace both. I learned that Cardone and others are using the same number for a 71 blazer and a 75 K10. They said luck of the draw for what you get. Is there an additional number at the end for example 3L or 4L on the case that would tell you the difference. Thanks
pound41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 12:02 PM   #36
Jeepwm69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hart_Rod View Post

I had an AGR box on the truck to begin with and the only reason I had to replace the box is that while doing my engine swap, I need to turn the wheels. As I was turn them, I hear a pop. I thought it was something in my tilt column, but it ended up being something inside the AGR box . Does anyone know if they sell a rebuild kit for the AGR boxes? Are they even still in business? I couldn't find their website
AGR turned to crap when one of their guys left. He started PSC.

Been awhile since I've shopped for a steering box. I have an older AGR box and pump on one of my Jeep CJ's, and the pump went out a while back and I haven't gotten around to fixing it yet, so it's been sitting.
Jeepwm69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 01:02 PM   #37
Hart_Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepwm69 View Post
AGR turned to crap when one of their guys left. He started PSC.

Been awhile since I've shopped for a steering box. I have an older AGR box and pump on one of my Jeep CJ's, and the pump went out a while back and I haven't gotten around to fixing it yet, so it's been sitting.
Do they make a rebuild kit for the AGR box?
Old 04-01-2024, 12:52 PM   #38
Jeepwm69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hart_Rod View Post
Do they make a rebuild kit for the AGR box?
Not sure. I haven't had any problems with my box yet. The AGR pump is toast, probably doesn't have 5K miles on it.

Both were installed around 2002, so obviously don't drive that Jeep a lot.
Jeepwm69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2024, 09:16 AM   #39
PowerdbyChevy79

AGR is straight trash, Borgeson is the way to go.. I have had zero issues with mine in my 66.
1979 C10 Silverado "The BIG TEN" https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=841339
1982 C10 Silverado "Lucy"
C10 Club Texas -HMIC
PowerdbyChevy79 is offline   Reply With Quote