The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-30-2022, 12:00 AM   #1
kingsthunder

Wrapped truck

Anyone try wrapping a 67-72. Any pics? Pros? Cons?
Posted via Mobile Device
kingsthunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 07:06 AM   #2
special-K
Special Order

Re: Wrapped truck

I can only think of cons. I was just looking at an electrical contractor's van wrap job this week and noticed how poorly a wrap job holds up. Paint is a good idea. My friend has a sign shop. He started out as a sign painter, meaning all hand work using paint. He does murals, lettering, pinstripe, anything, and now all the vinyl sign work. He does digital wraps, then enhances with airbrush work or hand lettering. He clears all his wrap jobs under to make them last. There you are back at shooting a spray gun at your vehicle. Might as well leave out the vinyl and just use paint

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 07:11 AM   #3
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Biggest issue most folks do not take into account is the body has to be perfect or it will show thru the wrap. Cheap looking wraps normally are because of poor body underneath. Wraps are not really meant for long term. I believe a local wrap guy says the life spam is planned at around 3-5 years. Can they be done on our year trucks, yes. I have seen a couple and they did look good. Owners all said it was temporary till they had time to get a good paint job doen.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 08:27 AM   #4
KW5413

The A # 1 thing to know about wraps is don't go cheap. Use a very good shop using the best wrap material. There are a couple beyond 3M but that's about it.

Most paint / body flaws will be mirrored in the wrap. So, paint correction is highly recommended.

It's difficult to really nail down the shelf life of wraps as it is highly dependent on the environment it lives in. In 2009 we wrapped my daughter's drill team enclosed 24' trailer. The succeeding teams never washed it and it was in the Texas sun. While it showed signs of oxidation...as would paint...it never lost adhesion. The wrap was finally replaced in 2019. The band wrapped their trailer around the same time but took care of it. I believe that wrap still lives.

I was going to wrap my '78 Trans Am but, got a friends & family price for paint & painted my Nova at the same time.

All the ''white'' on My '69 C10 is 3M wrap except the cab roof. It was on it when I bought it but I think it is at least 5 years old. The truck is garaged.
Attached Images

KW5413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 08:41 AM   #5
KW5413

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
He clears all his wrap jobs under to make them last. There you are back at shooting a spray gun at your vehicle. Might as well leave out the vinyl and just use paint
As a side bar to ''clearing'' wraps...Some Trans Am owners around here cleared over the vinyl "Bird" on the hood. Those that lived in the Texas heat saw cracking / wrinkle effect. This was attributed to opposing substrate (vinyl vs clear) movement caused by the heat. This phenomena probably doesn't rear its ugly head in your region.

Speaking of heat...my garage is running 104F - 108F in this exceptionally high Texas heat.
KW5413 is offline   Reply With Quote